***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Our successes are usually based on taking advantages of mismatches. Foster on the perimeter causes mismatches. The question to determine if it works is does he pose more of a problem than a liability?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Right away, I don't expect him to be able to defend a small ball 4 well, however if it's clear he should be starting halfway through the year, I'm not sure where else you'd put him? Especially if Solomon is solid at his position.

Mike was inept at the 4 on both ends of the floor because he was not aggressive at all offensively and defensively he couldn't move his feet or get back into some sort of position to defend a shot. With Fosters length, a guy could theoretically blow by him and he has the ability to block or at least contest his shot at the rim. That's certainly a positive.
That’s the thing, if he’s playing the 4, I don’t think that’s likely to happen. Chicken or the egg paradox.

Mike was a CF whipping boy. Foster as a freshman isn’t likely to surpass Mike imo, although his length does allow for a few more highlights. I’d be surprised if Foster is more aggressive on either end. Two bigs is just tough when neither big has ball skills.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Foster was only a 32% 3pt shooter in HS. I don’t think he is going to be a reliable 3pt shooter at the college line.

If he was a 25% shooter, I might use the word ONLY. But for a post player, if he can come close to 32% that would be very acceptable at the college level as long as he's only launching up a few shots a game.

The reality is shooting 33% from 3 is about equal to hitting 50% from 2. I say "about" because a guy making 50% of his shots around the basket is going to get fouled more and have a chance at traditional 3 point plays.

Personally, if a kid makes more than 35% from 3 he should have a green light. A guy who shoots over 39% from 3 point line is elite.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That’s the thing, if he’s playing the 4, I don’t think that’s likely to happen. Chicken or the egg paradox.

Mike was a CF whipping boy. Foster as a freshman isn’t likely to surpass Mike imo, although his length does allow for a few more highlights. I’d be surprised if Foster is more aggressive on either end. Two bigs is just tough when neither big has ball skills.
I think you may be underestimating Xavier's ball skills a bit but obviously we're just all going to have to wait and see what type of player he is for us next year. Xavier almost looks more like a guard in a 7 footer's body.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Our successes are usually based on taking advantages of mismatches. Foster on the perimeter causes mismatches. The question to determine if it works is does he pose more of a problem than a liability?
We've got a problem if we need to rely on Foster to shoot 3's.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If he was a 25% shooter, I might use the word ONLY. But for a post player, if he can come close to 32% that would be very acceptable at the college level as long as he's only launching up a few shots a game.

The reality is shooting 33% from 3 about equal to hitting 50% from 2. I say "about" because a guy making 50% of his shots around the basket is going to get fouled more and have a chance at traditional 3 point plays.

Personally, if a kid makes more than 35% from 3 he should have a great light. A guy who shoots over 39% from 3 point line is elite.
Shooting that percentage from the HS line doesn’t translate to that percentage from the new college line.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

The reality is shooting 33% from 3 about equal to hitting 50% from 2. I say "about" because a guy making 50% of his shots around the basket is going to get fouled more and have a chance at traditional 3 point plays.

Personally, if a kid makes more than 35% from 3 he should have a great light. A guy who shoots over 39% from 3 point line is elite.
Wow, I can get behind this spin :)

32% in high school equates to what next year at the college 3P line? I’d guess it goes down a little, but maybe not. A 30% 3P shooter isn’t worth the downside of playing two bigs on defense. Why not just play a wing?

Fwiw, Jacobson was 32% on 3Ps at ISU.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Northwestern Oklahoma State University
Texas A&M University-Kingsville
University of Texas-Permian Basin
University of Arkansas at Monticello
Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Texas, and Arkansas isn't a bad list of suitors.. ;)

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Wow, I can get behind this spin :)

32% in high school equates to what next year at the college 3P line? I’d guess it goes down a little, but maybe not. A 30% 3P shooter isn’t worth the downside of playing two bigs on defense. Why not just play a wing?
Fwiw, Jacobson was 32% on 3Ps at ISU.

To answer the questions in bold, check out the individual statistics on 3 PT% from this past season. https://cyclones.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats. The short answer is that Tyrese was the only one over 40%, so once he went down, our wings were either under 30%, or not very much over. Thus, if said wing is playing matador defense and not much of a threat to hit from outside, why stick with them exclusively? I am not saying I believe a given player is better, but to assume we can't play two bigs when our wings aren't really proven either seems a bit premature. Will be interesting to see who improves in the off season. While the virus means there may be no pickup ball, that doesn't stop them from hoisting shots in their driveway.

From that web site, it looks like Mike was 15 of 50 for the year which is only 30% by my crude math.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
To answer the questions in bold, check out the individual statistics on 3 PT% from this past season. https://cyclones.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats. The short answer is that Tyrese was the only one over 40%, so once he went down, our wings were either under 30%, or not very much over. Thus, if said wing is playing matador defense and not much of a threat to hit from outside, why stick with them exclusively? I am not saying I believe a given player is better, but to assume we can't play two bigs when our wings aren't really proven either seems a bit premature. Will be interesting to see who improves in the off season. While the virus means there may be no pickup ball, that doesn't stop them from hoisting shots in their driveway.

From that web site, it looks like Mike was 15 of 50 for the year which is only 30% by my crude math.
I thought we were talking about Foster, next year, with JJ and other wings on the roster.

Mike was put in a bad spot, but it certainly may have been our best hand to play. Hopefully we can avoid putting Foster in that spot.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I thought we were talking about Foster, next year, with JJ and other wings on the roster.

Mike was put in a bad spot, but it certainly may have been our best hand to play. Hopefully we can avoid putting Foster in that spot.
100% Mike was our best option. He was the best of the worst options. If Foster is worse or at the same level as Mike as far as his abilities, I truly hope we don't put him in that spot.

My assumption is he's going to be able to provide a lot of different things offensively and will be able to use his length and athleticism on the defensive end to be able to be at least competent when guarding a small ball 4. If he's not, then no I do not want to see him at that 4 position.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So you think we'd have a shot?
Pshhh, no chance. University of Texas of the Permian Basin has a shot to win the Lone Star Conference next year. We can't compete with that sort of competition.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
My assumption is he's going to be able to provide a lot of different things offensively and will be able to use his length and athleticism on the defensive end to be able to be at least competent when guarding a small ball 4. If he's not, then no I do not want to see him at that 4 position.
I’d be surprised if his offense or perimeter defense are tangibly different as a freshman, but obviously his length will help with shot blocking and finishing (hence, I think he’s more a 5).

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I’d be surprised if his offense or perimeter defense are tangibly different as a freshman, but obviously his length will help with shot blocking and finishing (hence, I think he’s more a 5).
I no doubt think he can play the 5, I just think his skill set is more of a stretch 4. If and only if his game transitions well will be the determining factor.