Terrence Lewis transferring

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Hopefully that’s the last one. I’m a little concerned about the two bigs. Replacing one of them would be a ***** at this point.

Honestly, having 5 returners isn’t terrible because I think all 5 can play. Gotta find 3-4 more between transfers and freshmen. With all the open schollies we have a lot of bites at the apple to hit on somebody. I kind of doubt any of the three guys that left would be enough to make much of a difference.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Will the short roster and spring scramble have any impact on Prohm? Will JP see this as an excuse to give him even more slack?

• Winner
Reactions: isu83

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
No I don't think so either. I think Prohm's going to go all in, because maybe he doesn't have a choice.. Maybe Jamie gave him an ultimatum? No clue, but I think Prohm is reloading this reload this roster with JUCO / transfers, and then is going to plug in the freshman to contribute some as well. That freshman class right now looks to be something to build off of and if he can have a good year next year by bringing in talented guys in the portal / JUCO, then this might work out. It will only work out if next year goes well and then this freshman class stays together more than 1 or 2 years.

People say "reload with JuCos and transfers" like that's something you just do. There's an extremely, extremely minimal chance that works.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Why is everyone freaking out? The players that left are marginal B12 players. This is a good thing.
Exactly. Who knows what Prohm will replace them with, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Would you all rather all these guys come back, and we bring in less transfers? Transfers are absolutely a crap shoot, for everybody, like pro sports drafts. They're not all going to be hits, but the more you got, the better your chances are.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We still have a solid core returning. Sounds like our sit out transfer is pretty good and can play Point-Forward while being able to guard 1-4 and has a pretty good shot. Top-25 recruiting class(of 4) coming in, hopefully at least two are ready to go out if the gate at this level.

Hit on some Juco/Grad Transfers and we could end up a lot better off than we were previously.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyguy94 and aauummm

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Hopefully that’s the last one. I’m a little concerned about the two bigs. Replacing one of them would be a ***** at this point.

Honestly, having 5 returners isn’t terrible because I think all 5 can play. Gotta find 3-4 more between transfers and freshmen. With all the open schollies we have a lot of bites at the apple to hit on somebody. I kind of doubt any of the three guys that left would be enough to make much of a difference.
There's only one big i really care about losing, if I'm being honest.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Plenty of us had already done the math that Tyrese was gone, and we were likely to lose one or two more to transfer. You're looking at these numbers and freaking out but Grill is the only one that people were surprised about. So, were you expecting Grill to then be the savior for next year's team?
Not at all. I think Grill showed some promise at the end of the year, but assuming he would be a major contributer would be a huge jump. Prohm should be cleaning house. However, he is also the person who is refilling that house. He filled it the first time with people who couldn't contribute. Losing 8 scholarship players in 1 year, with 5 being not even big 12 quality is not a good state for a program to be in. We are in a full rebuild with a guy who took a program from the heights of hoiberg to needing a full rebuild. So unless he is changing all his evaluation methods, this could be rough. He also needs to hit on 4 guys to be immediate contributers. Of the people we have returning, we have 2 that are big 12 starter quality, and one of them is injury prone.

Unlike kstate who won the big 12 and made an elite 8 while losing their best player. What we have to show for our rebuild is a big 12 tournament championship, a 5th place big 12 finish, and a first round loss.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Why is everyone freaking out? The players that left are marginal B12 players. This is a good thing.
Everyone: "We need a culture change and need to get guys who can shoot the ball!"

(3 of the worst shooters and players leave) (Prohm actively trying to find better players)

Everyone: "Oh my God! We have no one left! We're only going to have 5 players next year."

Stop freaking out lol. We all wanted a re-vamped roster. We all were complaining we didn't have Big 12 capable guys. So lets not freak out that probably the 5 worst guys from this year (Griffin, Lewis, Grill, Jacobson, Nixon) are all not going to be here next year. It was inevitable that Tyrese was going to leave too.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Exactly. Who knows what Prohm will replace them with, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Would you all rather all these guys come back, and we bring in less transfers? Transfers are absolutely a crap shoot, for everybody, like pro sports drafts. They're not all going to be hits, but the more you got, the better your chances are.
I keep forgetting about the success rate with transfers that Steve has brought in......

• Winner
Reactions: cb1030

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Everyone: "We need a culture change and need to get guys who can shoot the ball!"

(3 of the worst shooters and players leave) (Prohm actively trying to find better players)

Everyone: "Oh my God! We have no one left! We're only going to have 5 players next year."

Stop freaking out lol. We all wanted a re-vamped roster. We all were complaining we didn't have Big 12 capable guys. So lets not freak out that probably the 5 worst guys from this year (Griffin, Lewis, Grill, Jacobson, Nixon) are all not going to be here next year. It was inevitable that Tyrese was going to leave too.
Because this is our 5th transfer this season and 8th player to leave early in the last 2 with it likely getting to 9 or 10. This much attrition is bad

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
What's concerning is that these players were either not good coming out of high school, or that the coaches couldn't develop them.

You can't claim "last straw" after Terrance Lewis transfers. Anybody that does is just doing it for shock value.

Griffin and Lewis were busts. Grill had some potential, and I would rather have him than not, but he was not exactly projected as a starter next year.

If anymore go after this, though, then it is a collapse.

Losing Young or Conditt would be devastating.

It’s a good thing if you fill the roster with 3 good transfers or juco guys this spring. Given Prohm track record, not a lot of confidence that will happen.

Prohm has brought in some good transfers before.

Darrell Bowie was okay as a 7th or 8th man.
Donovan Jackson was very good -- one-dimensional, but an ace shooter.
Marial Shayok was a home run. He's up there with White and Kane.
Michael Jacobson gave us more as a Cyclone than I expected him to.

You are right he has a very steep climb ahead of him.

We still have a solid core returning. Sounds like our sit out transfer is pretty good and can play Point-Forward while being able to guard 1-4 and has a pretty good shot. Top-25 recruiting class(of 4) coming in, hopefully at least two are ready to go out if the gate at this level.

Hit on some Juco/Grad Transfers and we could end up a lot better off than we were previously.

That is the "optimistic" path forward to how this all somehow works out.

We are definitely back at McDermott level ball.

Dumb.

The best McD teams were at/probably below the level of the worst Prohm teams.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Not at all. I think Grill showed some promise at the end of the year, but assuming he would be a major contributer would be a huge jump. Prohm should be cleaning house. However, he is also the person who is refilling that house. He filled it the first time with people who couldn't contribute. Losing 8 scholarship players in 1 year, with 5 being not even big 12 quality is not a good state for a program to be in. We are in a full rebuild with a guy who took a program from the heights of hoiberg to needing a full rebuild. So unless he is changing all his evaluation methods, this could be rough. He also needs to hit on 4 guys to be immediate contributers. Of the people we have returning, we have 2 that are big 12 starter quality, and one of them is injury prone.

Unlike kstate who won the big 12 and made an elite 8 while losing their best player. What we have to show for our rebuild is a big 12 tournament championship, a 5th place big 12 finish, and a first round loss.
I would completely agree. That's why I think everyone about halfway through this year said that next year for Prohm holds a ton of weight. If he doesn't put together a capable team next year he's gone. And no, we don't need to go out and find 4 new guys. We have 5 guys that will be eligible from this current roster and we have a freshman class of 4. If we can get two solid contributors from this class, which it looks like we will, then we really only need two immediate contributors. Absolutely no different than before all of these guys transferred.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
JUCO route is risky from an academic and behavioral standpoint? We're at the point now where we need to take risk. Take Grill for example long time ISU fan, but we didn't offer in the beginning? Why maybe we were not aware of him or the staff knew he would compete at big 12 level? We lose a couple guys, TJ moved to Vegas Grill is sitting our there it didn't cost us anything to sign Grill, meaning we chose Grill over someone else. There was no risk in signing Grill.

Now were scrambling to fill a roster with higher risk kids and a small pool. We need this freshman class to perform well and pan out, to keep continuity wiothin the program.