Time to cut out our Busch Light love affair

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Full disclosure: I'm traveling in Europe so I haven't been able to see the original piece that brought up the old tweets, so I'm basing this off the register's response and everything else I've been able to glean, so please correct me if I've made any incorrect assumptions.

I may get crucified by for this but I think what the register did:
1) a backgroundcheck, and
2) publishing those finds at the end of their story

Is what we want our free press to do. They should publish not only the good but also the bad. It's our choice what to do with that information, as it is Busch Light's as well. Let's face it, most of us in Iowa are Caucasian so we weren't the subject of those tweets. But I understand the decision to publish the findings because if I was a different race, I may not feel comfortable donating. Or maybe I would but that's not for us to declare.

My opinion is that the register is the scapegoat for Busch pulling out, they're an entity that is close enough to us, where we can aim our frustrations. Someone we can blame. But I think we want our newspapers to do this type of reporting. The fallout from this is unfortunate and I think that Carson was genuine. All I know is I'm certainly glad social media wasn't around when I was in high school.

When the bad has absolutely nothing to do with the current thing going on then yeah it should be excluded.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
*Person reads Carson King tweet story*

"I am so sick of the PC culture with their overreactions and extreme measures!"

*Cancels 30 year subscription to paper and stops buying the beer brand they've enjoyed their whole adult life.*
There’s never a wrong time to cancel the DMR and to stop drinking piss.

At least get it correct:

“I’m so sick of PC culture”

“Cancels subscription to a garbage paper that is desperate enough to try and profit of PC culture, thereby fueling it”

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Why didn't the free press run Colvins background? As a white male I am extremely offended by what he said and should have been given that information before I buy their ****** newspaper.

Disclaimer: I am not offended... i have thick skin.

My hatred for the register would still be there whether or not Busch Light pulled out.

Full disclosure: I'm traveling in Europe so I haven't been able to see the original piece that brought up the old tweets, so I'm basing this off the register's response and everything else I've been able to glean, so please correct me if I've made any incorrect assumptions.

I may get crucified by for this but I think what the register did:
1) a backgroundcheck, and
2) publishing those finds at the end of their story

Is what we want our free press to do. They should publish not only the good but also the bad. It's our choice what to do with that information, as it is Busch Light's as well. Let's face it, most of us in Iowa are Caucasian so we weren't the subject of those tweets. But I understand the decision to publish the findings because if I was a different race, I may not feel comfortable donating. Or maybe I would but that's not for us to declare.

My opinion is that the register is the scapegoat for Busch pulling out, they're an entity that is close enough to us, where we can aim our frustrations. Someone we can blame. But I think we want our newspapers to do this type of reporting. The fallout from this is unfortunate and I think that Carson was genuine. All I know is I'm certainly glad social media wasn't around when I was in high school.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
There's no doubt that many, many people who "hate" outrage culture also openly participate in it. Only way to beat down one riot is with another riot.
Of course, and that’s exactly what’s happening here. It’s essentially a game and the DMR jumped in. They tried to exploit this game to ultimately make money, without regard to externalities. They are appropriately getting burnt for that.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Of course, and that’s exactly what’s happening here. It’s essentially a game, and one that the DMR tried to exploit to ultimately make money, without regard to externalities. They are appropriately getting burnt for that.
It's still largely hypocritical to be outraged about outrage culture, though. And there's plenty of that going on here, too. People love outrage and drama, they just don't want to admit it.

That's nothing to do with DMR specifically, just a general observation.

• Agree
Reactions: agcy68

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Why didn't the free press run Colvins background? As a white male I am extremely offended by what he said and should have been given that information before I buy their ****** newspaper.

Disclaimer: I am not offended... i have thick skin.

My hatred for the register would still be there whether or not Busch Light pulled out.

Maybe I’m missing it, but why isn’t every story dealing with Gin Reynolds noted with her multiple DUIs? Some people might not be aware.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Hmm, data service is sketchy in the building I work at so maybe my timeline just hasn't refreshed on my phone yet. They block FB so I can't pull it up on a desktop browser.
Wait, I figured it out. For some reason that article from last night is stuck at the top of their page. All their new things they posted today are below it.

Carry on.

• Informative
Reactions: CYdTracked

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It's still largely hypocritical to be outraged about outrage culture, though. And there's plenty of that going on here, too. People love outrage and drama, they just don't want to admit it.

That's nothing to do with DMR specifically, just a general observation.
Hypocritical but predictable. The DMR tried to exploit this hypocritical culture, and they rightfully got burnt for doing so.

There’s nuance here. Are people outraged at outrage culture, or upset that the DMR tried to exploit that culture to make money at the expense of their social capital.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Full disclosure: gunnerclone was a HUGE fan of the Chapelle Show in the mid 2000’s. Just want to get out ahead of this.

Time for sponsors to do the right thing and pull ads from any site that would allow a poster that watched such hateful propaganda take part in any discussion.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
When the bad has absolutely nothing to do with the current thing going on then yeah it should be excluded.

Exactly! You don't even need a degree or career in journalism to know that dirt they dug up on him was not newsworthy or even relevant to the story. The editor who thought that it would be a good idea to run with that should be fired. You could have pulled any random person off the street that had knowledge of the Carson King story and asked them "hey we are thinking of running a story about his tweets from when he was 16 eight years ago, you think that is a good idea?" and I'd be shocked if they found even 1 person that would have said yes.

This kind of stuff is why people have a hard time trusting the mainstream media these days. They are so caught up in clickbait to drive ad revenue and having to be "the first to report" a story that a screwup like this just gives people more reason to cut ties with a company like the DMR who already was struggling before this mess.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Hypocritical but predictable. The DMR tried to exploit this hypocritical culture, and they rightfully got burnt for doing so.

There’s nuance here. Are people outraged at outrage culture, or upset that the DMR tried to exploit that culture to make money at the expense of their social capital.
It's definitely both, as evidenced by this very thread. I have no qualms with people mad at the DMR, what they did was stupid. Now, when you get to the people attributing this event across all of society and/or making large generalizations off of it, ...We're getting into that first category. Big difference between looking at a single event for what it is, and tying that event to all others.

Unrelated to anyone here probably, but speaking of outrage, why exactly are people threatening the DMR enough to warrant extra security? We've had enough news agencies bombed and shot up recently. Cut that s*** out, especially in a large, multi-story building with many more people than just the DMR in it.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
It's definitely both, as evidenced by this very thread. I have no qualms with people mad at the DMR, what they did was stupid. Now, when you get to the people attributing this event across all of society and/or making large generalizations off of it, ...We're getting into that first category. Big difference between looking at a single event for what it is, and tying that event to all others.

Unrelated to anyone here probably, but speaking of outrage, why exactly are people threatening the DMR enough to warrant extra security? We've had enough news agencies bombed and shot up recently. Cut that s*** out, especially in a large, multi-story building with many more people than just the DMR in it.
Are people actually making credible threats, or is this just another tactic that we have seen the last half decade about trying to keep up your victim narrative? This happens a lot when people are exposed on social media. They then run and claim that people are threatening their lives, when in fact they are simply being called out.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Wait, I figured it out. For some reason that article from last night is stuck at the top of their page. All their new things they posted today are below it.

Carry on.

Yeah I see that now too. They are getting killed in the comments on all those new stories too over last night. Pretty sad that they haven't come out with a new statement about what happened last night. The longer they wait the worse the backlash will be if they think this is just going to blow over by ignoring the elephant in the room and go about business as usual

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron