Time to cut out our Busch Light love affair

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Not a big Busch Light drinker myself, but we were going to shift from Coors Light to Busch Light for our tailgate of 200+ because of the Carson King story. I really don't like the way that Busch Light is bailing on such a feel-good story because of a few unfortunate posts for which he has repented. Carson King seems like a model of how to respond to immature and insensitive postings in one's past, not someone to shun.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones122

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
[
The register didn’t do anything wrong and the guy handled it perfectly. Only thing wrong that happened was Busch pulling support and people’s over the top reactions. Way bigger things going on in this world to actually be outraged by.

Weather they did anything wrong is probably debatable, my question is, what was the end game here? What was the purpose of reporting this right before the donation process was ending? Was their goal to get that money taken away from kids with cancer?

If the Register was so hell bent on proving that as a 16 year old, his quoting a TV show on social media made him a bad person, then can't they hold off on that until the donation process is all over with? What did it do to benefit anyone involved, the kids, the hospital, AB, Venmo? He didn't have to do any of this, he could have just kept the money people gave him for beer and left it at that. I mean really, what was the purpose of the, "Hey, just thought you should know Carson is really a bad person."

Yes, Carson is getting publicity out of this, but at the end of the day, the money is going to kids with cancer. The idea that no one at the Register bothered to think, "Well, this could put that money in jeopardy, is what really bugs me. What if AB and Venmo pulled their donations, would the Register have still done the right thing?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Ive seen this a few places, but dont know if it is confirmed. Did the Register reach out to both Busch and Venmo for comment on the tweets, which tipped them off? We know Busch cut ties at 2 PM, so they were somehow made aware before Carson went public with his appology.

I am still curious about this myself, because I know the DMR has been blamed for the provenance of King's old tweet, but I don't know in fact if they were the one that dug it up.

Their own reporting says Busch cut ties with King before the DMR contacted either them or Carson King for comment. It did not say whose "routine background check" discovered the tweet as far as I know.

Does anyone know the answer to that?

• Creative
Reactions: 2speedy1

Humanjukebox

Oct 16, 2017
WHO noon news just reported that AB said will still honor the donation match til the end of the month as originally agreed, despite severing ties with Carson-King.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Busch Light sales in Iowa after this:

sand-dunes-1.jpg

I just called Doll Distributing to tell them how we went from "all in" on Busch Light to "all out" based on their public image. They were so good a few days ago, but now we are seeing that they value political correctness over actual care and doing good things. It would be one thing if Carson King was actively posting racist things, but he came right out, said it was wrong, and pointed to other things he has posted through the years that are more reflective of his real convictions. That should be a model of how to move beyond stupid, immature posts in one's youth. It doesn't justify them, but it does show how to move beyond them.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
Here is what I am hung up on. Carson King, an ordinary citizen, made a sign as a joke saying he needed more beer money. It blew up and he thought, "you know I don't really need hundreds/thousands of dollars for beer" so he decided to do something good with it. Then people got on board and it was this awesome feel-good-story. Someone decided that this was a good opportunity to investigate and tear down King. Bear in mind, he did not set out to do a big philanthropic thing - he decided it was the right thing to do as opposed to just pocketing that money. It's really messed up when you think about it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
WHO noon news just reported that AB said will still honor the donation match til the end of the month as originally agreed, despite severing ties with Carson-King.
They've said that from the very beginning. They are going to honor their pledge, which seems to me by far the most important thing.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
All 'other' beer manufacturers...
"While we do not in any way condone racism, it is only humane to understand when a person truly regrets their actions and forgive them. In that vein, we'll match the donation and realize the indescribably generous gesture as the absolute best indication of reform. Additionally, we commend Iowa State for an awesome display of good sportsmanship and would gladly represent that fan base as their preferred beer of choice"

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
No idea. But I do know that people dig through this stuff all the time and it was going to come out sooner or later. I imagine that is why he wasn’t mad at the register bc they gave him opportunity to clear things up. Before it came out and became a thing before he had a chance to respond.
Yeah god forbid you just say hey you wanna clean up your twitter history......instead of we have already reached out to everyone that is donating to you and they are dumping you for these.....care to comment on that?
Why does everything have to be a story? Some spin? Couldn't they just been decent about it? Oh that's right they discussed it already and decided they wanted to tell the world the "Truth" LOL give me a break. Then come out and try to spin how it came out, to save their asses, knowing full well they are the ones that reached out to AB for comment, Way before Carson's media conference. Oh but they are about the "Truth"

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
They've said that from the very beginning. They are going to honor their pledge, which seems to me by far the most important thing.
I think at first they said they were cutting it as of yesterday at 350k. Plus they are stopping all the promotions like shirts and ads etc. with it. completely scrubbed everything having to do with him from all pages and promotions. **** them. They are a bunch of hypocrites.

Humanjukebox

Oct 16, 2017
Based on their quotes, I wasn't sure that was their plan moving forward. I originally thought they were matching up until they severed ties with Carson King, but not after that til the end of the month.

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
*Person reads Carson King tweet story*

"I am so sick of the PC culture with their overreactions and extreme measures!"

*Cancels 30 year subscription to paper and stops buying the beer brand they've enjoyed their whole adult life.*

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Just venmoed Carson and requested my $25 back plus an additional $5 for the pain and suffering he caused me. #bebetter

• Funny
Reactions: Javinegli

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think at first they said they were cutting it as of yesterday at 350k. Plus they are stopping all the promotions like shirts and ads etc. with it. completely scrubbed everything having to do with him from all pages and promotions. **** them. They are a bunch of hypocrites.

What shirts and promotions? Outside of tweets who knows what they had planned. They had already said they were not going to sell the cans with his likeness to the public.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
*Person reads Carson King tweet story*

"I am so sick of the PC culture with their overreactions and extreme measures!"

*Cancels 30 year subscription to paper and stops buying the beer brand they've enjoyed their whole adult life.*

Unfortunately, I think the beer co. was caught between a rock and a hard place on this one, but the Rag has been consistently on a slippery slope with ISU fans for a while now

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron