Time to cut out our Busch Light love affair

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
The register didn’t do anything wrong and the guy handled it perfectly. Only thing wrong that happened was Busch pulling support and people’s over the top reactions. Way bigger things going on in this world to actually be outraged by.
- Register outed CK's eight year old negative tweets of a guy who raised $1M+ for a children's hospital
- Register puts out huge statement defending their decision to publish tweets
- Register employee who outed negative tweets has even WORSE negative tweets himself
- Register has not put out huge statement on their own employees negative tweets, just a vague "we're looking into it"
- Register notes negative tweets but doesn't note CK's National Honor Society, mission trip to Texas and Special Olympics contributions when he was roughly the same age as when he posted the tweets.

Yep. Didn't do anything wrong...

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I know someone today that contacted Karl Chevrolet who had a full page ad today and voiced that he hopes they pull their advertising from the DMR. I doubt that happens but hey it doesn't hurt to let your voice be heard I guess.
I just did the same.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
DSM Register's office is in the same building as my office downtown. We just got notice that the building has instituted additional security procedures due to 'threats to the DSM Register'. Now we need to have our credentials to get on the elevator.

Thanks for putting my safety at risk, rag!

(half-jimlad)

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Where the DMR went wrong: People were donating to the Children's Hospital, not Carson King. No good was going to come from outing him.

Edit: this is my last post in this thread bashing the DMR because this is the Busch Light bashing thread.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
*Person reads Carson King tweet story*

"I am so sick of the PC culture with their overreactions and extreme measures!"

*Cancels 30 year subscription to paper and stops buying the beer brand they've enjoyed their whole adult life.*
Wouldn’t you expect this reaction could do some good towards showing groups like DMR or A-B that what they did was stupid? If everyone sat back and nobody showed they were upset, then DMR or A-B wouldn’t be hurt by their actions. It’s the only real way to retaliate against something that people feel strongly about.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I wouldn't even say Tosh.0 is racist...it's more of an "offending all parties" kind of show.

Full disclosure: gunnerclone was a HUGE fan of the Chapelle Show in the mid 2000’s. Just want to get out ahead of this.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The silence coming out of the DMR right now is something. For a media outlet who posts new content almost hourly to be silent on FB since 10:48pm last night is really awkward the longer it goes on.

They have posted quite a few things on Facebook today. Everything is littered with comments not related to the stories.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
- Register outed CK's eight year old negative tweets of a guy who raised $1M+ for a children's hospital
- Register employee who outed negative tweets has even WORSE negative tweets himself
- Register has not put out huge statement on their own employees negative tweets, just a vague "we're looking into it"
- Register notes negative tweets but doesn't note CK's National Honor Society, mission trip to Texas and Special Olympics contributions when he was roughly the same age as when he posted the tweets.

Clickbait yellow journalism.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
They have posted quite a few things on Facebook today. Everything is littered with comments not related to the stories.

Is it within comments or other stories though because the last post by them that shows for me when I pull up their page is their statement from last night?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

I think what bothers me the most with this is that it simply wasn't necessary. There was no need, purpose or function for a character assassination on a kid doing nothing except raising money for a hospital, and even that was an afterthought.

It just wasn't necessary. Not the time or place for such an action.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
*Person reads Carson King tweet story*

"I am so sick of the PC culture with their overreactions and extreme measures!"

*Cancels 30 year subscription to paper and stops buying the beer brand they've enjoyed their whole adult life.*
BOOOOOM!

This 10000%

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclones423

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I find the whole AB debacle kind of comical. I worked in the adult beverage industry for 9 years and I can tell you right now the business isn't exactly full of a bunch of choir boys...

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I think what bothers me the most with this is that it simply wasn't necessary. There was no need, purpose or function for a character assassination on a kid doing nothing except raising money for a hospital, and even that was an afterthought.

It just wasn't necessary. Not the time or place for such an action.
People were donating to the Children's Hospital, not to him. He was just the story catalyst, the middle man. Outing him was so unnecessary. Nothing to gain, plenty to lose.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Full disclosure: I'm traveling in Europe so I haven't been able to see the original piece that brought up the old tweets, so I'm basing this off the register's response and everything else I've been able to glean, so please correct me if I've made any incorrect assumptions.

I may get crucified by for this but I think what the register did:
1) a backgroundcheck, and
2) publishing those finds at the end of their story

Is what we want our free press to do. They should publish not only the good but also the bad. It's our choice what to do with that information, as it is Busch Light's as well. Let's face it, most of us in Iowa are Caucasian so we weren't the subject of those tweets. But I understand the decision to publish the findings because if I was a different race, I may not feel comfortable donating. Or maybe I would but that's not for us to declare.

My opinion is that the register is the scapegoat for Busch pulling out, they're an entity that is close enough to us, where we can aim our frustrations. Someone we can blame. But I think we want our newspapers to do this type of reporting. The fallout from this is unfortunate and I think that Carson was genuine. All I know is I'm certainly glad social media wasn't around when I was in high school.