KU Selling Alcohol at Games

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I went to Stillwater with a group of friends to the ISU game last season. Knowing they serve alcohol in the stands we didn't do the final push to pound a couple of drinks before heading in. In fact, we stopped a little early so we could get in and get a beer.

Whatever Jamie's concerns are, seriously, I think the exact opposite is true.

Also...the end zone seating is an embarrassment on TV. The first part of the the game and most of the 3rd quarter it's half empty. What's good for the donors is bad for the overall look.

Yeah I totally agree. There are lots of people that pound down the hard stuff right before the game to keep the buzz going, that is must worse than selling inside where lines and bathrooms will pretty much keep the drinking in check.

bherren

Dec 17, 2017
What problems? I have rarely see any problems at ISU events.
I sit in the student section every game and the only problems I ever see are with kids getting in trouble for sneaking it in, which would go away if they could just buy it inside.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah I totally agree. There are lots of people that pound down the hard stuff right before the game to keep the buzz going, that is must worse than selling inside where lines and bathrooms will pretty much keep the drinking in check.

This is exactly why literally every school that sells alcohol has seen a decrease in alcohol related problems.

JP knows these stats, and he's talked to these ADs. When he says people are already drunk enough, it's complete BS and much more marketable response than the reality of "I want to keep people paying a premium for this privilege". No one is call him on to the carpet for wanting to have a less drunken atmosphere, so even though it's a proven falsehood, he continues to quote it.

And it sounds like I'm zealously arguing for alcohol in the stadium, but it really doesn't bother me. I never want more than 1-2 beers during the game, and I'm sneaking those in already. I'll keep my $20 in my pocket, thank you.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I bet you're a lot of fun to go to games with.

mayfieldgrab.gif
I am a blast to go to a game with and I'd happily buy you a regularly priced beer that doesn't taste like watery urine before or after a game.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I rarely buy a beer at a sporting event. $10 for a big glass of some nasty Bud Light or similar swill? No thanks. But if it gets more folks in the door then cool. To each their own.

The only arena I go to that sells alcohol is for Creighton basketball games and overall it seems to have a negative effect on the atmosphere. Thousands of fans either in line to buy beer, in the bathroom to empty their bladder thanks to the beer or standing in the concourse socializing while drinking a beer leads to lots of empty seats during game play. I go to watch the game, not to socialize.

Wow, that is some crazy stuff right there. (facepalm)

I rarely drink, but a game would be exactly the place I'd be happy to have a couple ice cold beers.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Wow, that is some crazy stuff right there. (facepalm)

I rarely drink, but a game would be exactly the place I'd be happy to have a couple ice cold beers.
If it was good beer that was not $10 a glass then sure, I'll have a few. But I doubt either will be the case.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
If it was good beer that was not $10 a glass then sure, I'll have a few. But I doubt either will be the case.

The money or the quality (or lack of quality) would not hold me back, mainly because there are only a handful of games for the year. It's not a weekly event. Having the option would be nice.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Keep in mind that it is also an almost 4 hour drive from Lawrence back to my house so having a few beers during a game really isnt a great idea.

bherren

Dec 17, 2017
Why don't people just understand that college and sports in general have no connection to alcohol.
You could make this case for just about anything.

"What do boating and alcohol have to do with each other?" Nothing, just makes it a hell of a lot more fun.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
What's also a bad look on TV is the center section of the lower east stands. They all run out at halftime and don't get back to their seats until mid-third quarter.

I'll tell you what isn't embarrassing; section M upper deck Row 20 Seat 5. That seat is ******* packed on game day. Packed I tell you.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I already get any coat under my seat drenched with a liquid substance at least 2 games a year. Generally a kid or a drunk person knocking something over. I don’t care if people drink or not, just prefer I didnt stink like a brewery on my way home.

Make life easy and have all the alcohol sales on one side. People can gravitate to drinking or non drinking sides.

• Dumb
Reactions: mdclone and Doc

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Jamie drinks. It ain't about that.

It's about protecting the value of luxury areas that sell alcohol, and preserving the tailgating culture (which is the only reason we draw well when we suck).

I agree with this. It's not a no-brainer by any means. ISU tailgating is the golden goose and any changes that could affect that should be studied very seriously before implementing. I know that there is data out there that selling beer actually decreases overall "drunkenness" of fans, but let's say someone dies in a wreck on I35 after a game. If ISU is found even partially to blame for selling beer, you can bet that the next thing that will happen is cops cracking down on tailgates. Maybe we have to go to the KSU "pour it in a cup" model, maybe they actually enforce the no glass bottles (hard liquor). Right now, cops kind of look the other way. You can't tell me that changing the rules won't affect the overall tailgating. And that is what has kept fans coming to games all these years when ISU sucked.

The other thing is that it does decrease the benefit of buying suites/club passes. I'd be on board with them charging $7 in the SEZ and $10 on the concourse, but I can see why they wouldn't want to sell alcohol at all.

• Dumb
Reactions: mdclone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I agree with this. It's not a no-brainer by any means. ISU tailgating is the golden goose and any changes that could affect that should be studied very seriously before implementing. I know that there is data out there that selling beer actually decreases overall "drunkenness" of fans, but let's say someone dies in a wreck on I35 after a game. If ISU is found even partially to blame for selling beer, you can bet that the next thing that will happen is cops cracking down on tailgates. Maybe we have to go to the KSU "pour it in a cup" model, maybe they actually enforce the no glass bottles (hard liquor). Right now, cops kind of look the other way. You can't tell me that changing the rules won't affect the overall tailgating. And that is what has kept fans coming to games all these years when ISU sucked.

The other thing is that it does decrease the benefit of buying suites/club passes. I'd be on board with them charging $7 in the SEZ and $10 on the concourse, but I can see why they wouldn't want to sell alcohol at all.
People did die from drunk driving after tailgating at an ISU game. The 2007 ISU - UI game.