KU Selling Alcohol at Games

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Jamie has said nearly all the problems we have now are because of alcohol. More of it is the last thing we need. His words not mine.

So don't let people leave at halftime then..... duh.

And charge $10 for a can of Busch Latte, but stop selling it after the 3rd qtr. You'd have a LOT less drunks.

And let people in the SEZ buy a can of beer for $7 instead of $10. And have microbrews on tap in the SEZ too. That would be plenty of perks for those people IMO.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
So don't let people leave at halftime then..... duh.

And charge $10 for a can of Busch Latte, but stop selling it after the 3rd qtr. You'd have a LOT less drunks.

And let people in the SEZ buy a can of beer for $7 instead of $10. And have microbrews on tap in the SEZ too. That would be plenty of perks for those people IMO.
Hey, email Pollard. I could give a crap less, I don't really drink.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Even if the whole stadium had access to alcohol there is still plenty of perks in the end zone.
Full bar access with better beer selection
Indoor area with comfortable seating
Stadium seating outside
Nice bathrooms
Maybe upgrade the food options?

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We have a fantastic gameday family atmosphere (one of the better one's in the conference). We have fantastic tailgating. We have a great product on the field now.

People show up plenty drunk as it is. It's not hard to sneak a drink in if you really need it.

And we make a ton of money with these new TV deals so the extra money just doesn't justify the potential problems.

I'm deferring to Pollard on this one. Keep up the good work.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I went to Stillwater with a group of friends to the ISU game last season. Knowing they serve alcohol in the stands we didn't do the final push to pound a couple of drinks before heading in. In fact, we stopped a little early so we could get in and get a beer.

Whatever Jamie's concerns are, seriously, I think the exact opposite is true.

Also...the end zone seating is an embarrassment on TV. The first part of the the game and most of the 3rd quarter it's half empty. What's good for the donors is bad for the overall look.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I went to Stillwater with a group of friends to the ISU game last season. Knowing they serve alcohol in the stands we didn't do the final push to pound a couple of drinks before heading in. In fact, we stopped a little early so we could get in and get a beer.

Whatever Jamie's concerns are, seriously, I think the exact opposite is true.

Also...the end zone seating is an embarrassment on TV. The first part of the the game and most of the 3rd quarter it's half empty. What's good for the donors is bad for the overall look.
What's also a bad look on TV is the center section of the lower east stands. They all run out at halftime and don't get back to their seats until mid-third quarter.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude and SC Cy

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They should have one of those really cool vape bars, a hooka bar and a medmen franchise.

I got pretty plastered for exactly one game when I was in college, basically missed a great game in a drunken haze, and have hardly drank at all while watching sports since. One or two beers sometimes but honestly I'd rather be on caffeine than alcohol if I'm really into something.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I rarely buy a beer at a sporting event. $10 for a big glass of some nasty Bud Light or similar swill? No thanks. But if it gets more folks in the door then cool. To each their own.

The only arena I go to that sells alcohol is for Creighton basketball games and overall it seems to have a negative effect on the atmosphere. Thousands of fans either in line to buy beer, in the bathroom to empty their bladder thanks to the beer or standing in the concourse socializing while drinking a beer leads to lots of empty seats during game play. I go to watch the game, not to socialize.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I rarely buy a beer at a sporting event. $10 for a big glass of some nasty Bud Light or similar swill? No thanks. But if it gets more folks in the door then cool. To each their own.

The only arena I go to that sells alcohol is for Creighton basketball games and overall it seems to have a negative effect on the atmosphere. Thousands of fans either in line to buy beer, in the bathroom to empty their bladder thanks to the beer or standing in the concourse socializing while drinking a beer leads to lots of empty seats during game play. I go to watch the game, not to socialize.

Can somebody file this under: Who Cares?

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

And many do just that...go to watch the game and not socialize...great. But an increasing amount of attendees do view the game as a social event with the side benefit of a game taking place. If a fan wants to get in line to get a $10 beer...great, especially if it means increased ticket sales and cash flow. It's also a fan's choice on when they want to sit in their seats as they paid for the seat...the interested fans will be in their seats...the others can do what they want to. The university wins in both cases.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I think we should sell beer and alcohol outside the stadium during the tailgating. Have bars set up around the concourse and by tent row. Even though people bring drinks. I still bet they would do some good business with Pina Coladas, Margaritas, and blended drinks. Just my opinion. I don't really care If they put it in the stadium. Drinkers going to find a way to drink.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Good point! In fact, why stop with beer. All food and beverages are just a distraction from the game and cause long lines at concessions and people needing to go to the bathroom. Ban those too. And kids, dont even get me started on parents who bring little Billy to the game. If he isn't going to the bathroom every five minutes he is distracting me with his constant complaining of being bored. So I think we need age limits too. Everyone gets a ticket that allows them one trip to the bathroom and otherwise keep your ass in the seat and watch the damn game! That's what you payed for!

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa

I bet you're a lot of fun to go to games with.

mayfieldgrab.gif

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I just hit the concession stand to get my mixer (coke) for the rum I smuggle in Mrs. Gaggi's bra.
The obvious follow-up question is "Why don't you just drink it straight from inside Mrs. Gaggi's bra?"

They should have one of those really cool vape bars, a hooka bar and a medmen franchise.

I got pretty plastered for exactly one game when I was in college, basically missed a great game in a drunken haze, and have hardly drank at all while watching sports since. One or two beers sometimes but honestly I'd rather be on caffeine than alcohol if I'm really into something.
I went to ISU in the late 80's/early 90's. I don't think there were any great games to miss in a drunken haze.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
Drinking is the only way KU fans (or anyone) can watch their FB team anyway, so this move makes sense.