Game of Thrones Season 8

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Regarding Danny's armies. I think when Danny comes out and tells everyone that the fight is not over, everything you see there, I think is her army. There are like a handful of Dokrathi, and probably a couple thousand Unsullied. The unsullied are supposed to be an elite army, so it's not a surprise that many of them would have survived. If you go back to an earlier season, not sure which one, but Jamie is talking to Cersei about the Unsullied, and he is afraid of them. So I would assume their survival rate would be pretty high.

So the next question is why didn't the other lords of the kingdom just kill the Unsullied and Dokrathi? Every kingdom, other than Dorne had basically lost their standing and trained army. In the previous episode, the soldiers with Jon look to only be peasants, not actual soldiers. So I do not think there would be enough manpower to take on the unsullied and win.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
He is a free man, by Dany's hand. He's been thinking on his own for a long time.
Not really, he still just did whatever Dany told him to. He was "freed" but he's been trained his whole life to obey orders, no questions asked. That's why he agreed so easily to obey the new king, whoever it was. He did have a small sliver of new found independence from his relationship with Missandei. That's why he still wanted some form of justice for Jon Snow killing Dany. He also knew that killing Jon Snow meant the remaining Unsullied would have to fight everyone else is Westeros since they all essentially backed the Starks.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Agreed on the Dorne and Iron Islands should've declared. In addition, the Vale and the Riverlands were part of the North's kingdom during the series and should've left with them. The Vale was united with the North since BOTB and the Riverlands were united during the War of Five Kings.
I think that's the point, though. There's no bow on the end of it. The whole way the small council scene played out was part of it. You're right, the Iron Islands will likely revolt. Dorne too. There will be conflict and intrigue over rebuilding the Navy and brothels and any number of other subjects. In other words, the Game of Thrones goes on and on.

"Breaking the Wheel" was just a phrase. Implementation of it is much, much tougher. It's far easier to be a conquerer than a ruler. That was Dany's ultimate downfall.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
"Breaking the Wheel" was just a phrase. Implementation of it is much, much tougher. It's far easier to be a conquerer than a ruler. That was Dany's ultimate downfall.

So what was the wheel that Danny was trying to break? In Essos, it was slavery, but that was already outlawed in Westeros.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I think that's the point, though. There's no bow on the end of it. The whole way the small council scene played out was part of it. You're right, the Iron Islands will likely revolt. Dorne too. There will be conflict and intrigue over rebuilding the Navy and brothels and any number of other subjects. In other words, the Game of Thrones goes on and on.

Yep, revolutionaries with the greatest intentions of change for the people, usually always fail, often being worse "for the people" than what they replace.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
So what was the wheel that Danny was trying to break? In Essos, it was slavery, but that was already outlawed in Westeros.

That is a good question, and I don't think even Dany really knew in the end. It bacame more of a rallying cry/campaign slogan for her, which be one of the subtle signs of her descent into megalomania.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That is a good question, and I don't think even Dany really knew in the end. It bacame more of a rallying cry/campaign slogan for her, which be one of the subtle signs of her descent into megalomania.
This. She was breaking the wheel of tyranny, in her mind, I think, but introducing her own brand of it, as she did.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I loved the Sam democracy speech where they laughed in his face.
Jon Snow and his dumb honor getting banished for being too beta.
Drogon melting the throne out of anger.
Sansa just standing up and declaring herself independent after they vote in Brann.
So much good in that finale. Im glad it wasnt all sunshine and rainbows.
Drogon: "Stupid sword chair stabbed me mom. ROOOAAARRRR!"

• Funny
Reactions: Daserop

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Why would Grey Worm not just kill Jon? He has 8,000 Unsullied, and the city. He'd have had every right to do it, you kill Jon there is no King to rule against him.
Spears cant cut through infinite plot armor. The fact they so gleefully stopped exploring anyone from Dany's circle perspective except their beloved Tyrion was disappointing. They could have had some conversations between Grey Worm and others where even he could have been concerned with Dany's state of mind and even his own. Just so many let downs imo to even count this season.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Spears cant cut through infinite plot armor. The fact they so gleefully stopped exploring anyone from Dany's circle perspective except their beloved Tyrion was disappointing. They could have had some conversations between Grey Worm and others where even he could have been concerned with Dany's state of mind and even his own. Just so many let downs imo to even count this season.

yes, Jon was a plot device not a character just like Dany. I watch the show this season and just wonder how stupid is this guy? Yes, Jon makes mistakes in the books, and ultimately pays for them with his life, but he is a smart, politically savvy strategist. He schooled Stannis on the North.

• Agree
Reactions: Orin02

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Now the terrible writing makes sense...

giphy.gif

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Was Dany burning the city or Jon murdering Dany the final "oh ****" moment the show spoiled from the books? (The other two were Shireen's burning and HOld the DoOR.)

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
This is my read on it too, and ultimately the show and story feels really nihilistic.

My question is actually how long Bran's rule lasts. I think it's less than 10 years.

1. Bran is an incredibly weak king. He has almost no claim to the throne (by Westerosi standards), he is unable to sire children, and apparently he's going to be a puppet ruler where Tyrion controls things, who is an unpopular guy with almost no power base since the entire Lannister army is decimated. Also, Jon didn't denounce his claim, he was punished, giving anybody wanting to challenge Bran's claim all kinds of ammo.
2. Dorne is probably EASILY the stronger power left in Westeros. I can't see them sitting there like you said.
3. Yara had a promise of independence. The Iron Born are not going to sit on that. Plus, there is absolutely nothing to stop them from reaving from the wall to Dorne.
4. For all we know the Dothraki are still there. That's going to go well. Probably the largest and most fearsome standing army in the country by a mile.
5. The Starks just basically rule everything? That's going to rub a lot of people the wrong way.
6. The Iron Bank is still owed a TON of money from the crown for the hiring of the golden company. The tax base of Westeros is basically destroyed... how is Bran going to pay that back...with Bronn as your master of coin?
7. Bronn is basically the ruler of a depopulated area? So the Lannisters just killed everybody in the Reach apparently.

I mean it's hard to imagine just how destroyed Westeros is right now outside of Dorne and maybe the Vale, however I have to assume most of the knights of the Vale were killed in the battle of Winterfell.

Regarding #6 - I read a couple weeks ago that the debt of a kingdom only passes if an heir of the debt takes the throne. Since their is a new family ruling the debt is no longer there.