Game of Thrones Season 8

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Also, is it bad for HBO that Veep had a much better series finale and no one cares? I don't care how much they advertise their other shows, until the GOT spinoffs launch, they're going to struggle.

I don't really think so. HBO has a lot of other great content. Transcendent shows like GoT are rare, and people cared less about shows like Veep because they were competing with GoT for people's attention. People are still going to watch TV, and HBO still has quite a few shows that are better than most offerings from other networks.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
The dumbest part is them letting the North go. Dorne was the last to pledge so you’d think it would be the first to break. And the Iron Islands tried to fight for freedom. Given that Yara supported Dany, she should break away. The other houses are too weak, I would guess. At least for right now.

Agreed on the Dorne and Iron Islands should've declared. In addition, the Vale and the Riverlands were part of the North's kingdom during the series and should've left with them. The Vale was united with the North since BOTB and the Riverlands were united during the War of Five Kings.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Why would they make Bronn the Master of Coin? He is a notorious traitor who switches sides in a heartbeat. And how is Sam a Maester? He left the Citadel and stole their books.

iqizFdn.png

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I didn't hate it. Didn't love it. It was fine.

Sidenote...did anyone else watch the trailer before it started and thought 'what is this, this looks pretty good...' and then 'Westworld' showed on the screen and you said 'WHAT THE ****!?'

Agree with both parts of this. I don't think there was any good way to end it to be honest. Short of them swapping king's landing and winterfell in the series and having the NK win and ice everyone.

I actually skipped back on my DVR to watch and pay attention to the Westworld trailer after the logo popped up at the end. For a show that started out about cowboys they are going in an interesting direction.

• Winner
Reactions: dahliaclone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yes. It’s incredibly hard. The best series endings I’ve seen were Breaking Bad and Star Trek The Next Generation ( series, not the movies). It’s damn near impossible and gets harder every year when people find reasons not to like shows because of some dork on twitter trying to come up with an edgy take.

The Breaking Bad ending was so perfect and true to the show that I got chills.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
"When 8, people know it's no longer a secret, it's information."

Why didn't someone ask, "Hey, what about Aegon? The lawful ruler?" In the trial?

They were sitting in the ashes of a city where hundreds of thousands of people burned due to an allegedly "lawful ruler", where the previous "lawful" ruler herded them as a human shield. It shouldn't be all that shocking that they were open to a plan B.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
It was an ok ending. Felt a little "neat" for a GOT ending.

Sansa completely undercut her brother's rule by declaring the north as a separate kingdom. And how come no one mentioned Jon as rightful king?

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
They were sitting in the ashes of a city where hundreds of thousands of people burned due to an allegedly "lawful ruler", where the previous "lawful" ruler herded them as a human shield. It shouldn't be all that shocking that they were open to a plan B.

Shouldn't it be mentioned? I mean, I feel like it should be mentioned.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
"When 8, people know it's no longer a secret, it's information."

Why didn't someone ask, "Hey, what about Aegon? The lawful ruler?" In the trial?

Sure, though I doubt it would’ve flown with the Unsullied who held him captive or Danny’s other loyal people. But still don’t agree that it didn’t matter.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Sure, though I doubt it would’ve flown with the Unsullied who held him captive or Danny’s other loyal people. But still don’t agree that it didn’t matter.

**** the Unsullied. They just left. All 8,000 of them that are still alive after being massacred by the army of dead. Hell, once they were out to sea, Bran could have just been like, "Jon, you're good. Full Pardon."

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I forgot what that beat was. What I will say is at least I liked the episode better than I liked the spoiler.

Bran, king of the 6 Kingdoms
Sansa, queen of the North
Jon, king of the Wildlings
Arya, queen of the ship sailing west

We got the return of our Jon-Tormund bromance
And Ghost forgave Jon for not saying goodbye a few episodes ago

The one they didn't include was Jon and Tormund finding a White Walker spiral in a cave wall or something.

I liked the episode better than the spoiler, too. I kind of called it "Tyrion's speech factory," but he was excellent.
Not sure on his Bran logic in that speech, and I felt a lot of 80s influence in the ending, but they didn't slow clap the "Bran the broken" speech, so that was good enough.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I would disagree that has anything to do with it. Take you back to last season:

Bran: I'm the Three-Eyed Raven
Sam: Oh... I don't know what that means.

I doubt there are any rules on the Three-Eyed Raven being a Lord because I doubt many people in the Kingdoms have any idea what a Three-Eyed Raven is. It's a concept that has to do with the "old gods" and weirwoods, and most of the Kingdom is loyal to the seven gods. I'm guessing he was turning down being Lord of Winterfell, and the only way I can reconcile it is because he knew he was going to be king - but still, what does being the Three-Eyed Raven have to do with him being unable to be Lord of Winterfell?

There was MUCH more walking/pushing involved in Winterfell due to lack of paved roads and all that snow.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm very well aware that arya killed alot of people but I'm talking about wearing someones face. I just cannot believe that we went the entire final season of this great series and never saw that skill again. Rather we kill cersie with rocks falling on her. Maybe the next superman movie he won't fly, he will take ubers.

And his villains will be killed by exploding self-driving cars because the battery technology is iffy.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
**** the Unsullied. They just left. All 8,000 of them that are still alive after being massacred by the army of dead. Hell, once they were out to sea, Bran could have just been like, "Jon, you're good. Full Pardon."

Haha yeah I agree they seem to magically reproduce all through the show.