Game of Thrones Season 8

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
First of all, I should say that I thoroughly enjoyed the show and I was generally fine with the outcome. I've posted here numerous times that I think even a few more episodes would have allowed the show to explore some things in greater depth and make those outcomes feel more plausible and less forced. But such is life.

This Twitter thread, and another short Twitter thread that it links to, gets at what was of my other complaints about the show. Everyone kept wondering when Arya was going to use another face, or when Bran would use his powers, among other, less consequential questions. Think of all the fan theories that people had for this season that hinged on some prophecy or some reference from the past or some spiritual power and almost universally the show just...didn't answer them. This final season unfolded pretty conventionally based on what we knew leading into it.

As so, as this thread explains, the inability or unwillingness to articulate the limits of and uses for these powers was one of the failures of the show. I think that's a very legitimate criticism.

But again...I loved it overall. My complaints are relatively minor.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
After having some time to digest, I'm not sure that the ending was quite as neat and happy as it appeared.

Bran ending up as king seemed to come out of nowhere. But with his abilities, and the fact that it sort of seemed like he was playing chess with all the key players at the endgame this season, is it possible that he was knowingly setting himself up for the throne all along? And if he wanted it that bad and was manipulating things that much to get it, is he really the good and noble choice he appears to be on the surface?

Jon's fate also leaves quite the loose end. He did not end up spending his days unmarried on the wall protecting the world. He could well go off and mary a wildling an father children. Jon may not want the throne, but who is to say his offspring will feel the same if they learn their roots? Much was made of Bran's inability to have children helping to ensure the next king is chosen and not born. Problem is, the rightful king is now off making babies somewhere.

And of course tyrion came out well in the end too. Given how scheming and manipulative he is, I'm not sure if that was the happy accident it appeared or if that was his plan all along.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
After having some time to digest, I'm not sure that the ending was quite as neat and happy as it appeared.

Bran ending up as king seemed to come out of nowhere. But with his abilities, and the fact that it sort of seemed like he was playing chess with all the key players at the endgame this season, is it possible that he was knowingly setting himself up for the throne all along? And if he wanted it that bad and was manipulating things that much to get it, is he really the good and noble choice he appears to be on the surface?

Jon's fate also leaves quite the loose end. He did not end up spending his days unmarried on the wall protecting the world. He could well go off and mary a wildling an father children. Jon may not want the throne, but who is to say his offspring will feel the same if they learn their roots? Much was made of Bran's inability to have children helping to ensure the next king is chosen and not born. Problem is, the rightful king is now off making babies somewhere.

And of course tyrion came out well in the end too. Given how scheming and manipulative he is, I'm not sure if that was the happy accident it appeared or if that was his plan all along.

Was he playing chess with everyone? I mean, I don't think the show really conveyed that. As to whether he was the right choice, it seemed like the show tried to set him up as a "just" ruler based on the fact that he didn't want it. (Wasn't it Varys who said the best ruler would be someone who didn't want the power?)

As to Jon being the rightful king, they decided last night that the lords and ladies would vote on their king/queen going forward. So his claim is rendered moot now.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I loved the Sam democracy speech where they laughed in his face.
Jon Snow and his dumb honor getting banished for being too beta.
Drogon melting the throne out of anger.
Sansa just standing up and declaring herself independent after they vote in Brann.
So much good in that finale. Im glad it wasnt all sunshine and rainbows.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
As slluded to by a lot of people, the show writers, figured out what they thought should happen based in large part on what characters were popular, and designed an ending around it for shock value, and logic be damned.

They wanted good scenes not realistic scenes.Dramatic endings not realistic. And yes, it is a fantasy show, but the political aspect of it based on the War of the Roses is some of the most compelling stuff. So that really suffered.

It's bittersweet, because they executed the technical aspects of the show so well, but their self imposed deadline(and that is their right) really deteriorated the writing and characters.

I am a huge Jon Snow fan. I am like, meh about him in the show. Not a compelling character who deserts his lover and kills her. Screw that guy.

Just meh is my reaction. Beautiful tv show, and we got to watch it in a Theater with my wife's company.

Now bring me the Winds of Winter so I can get to know my favorite characters again.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I was fine with the ending except for letting Greyworm bully them. And after they saw Greyworn leaving for Narth they should have just let Jon do whatever he wanted.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I was fine with the ending except for letting Greyworm bully them. And after they saw Greyworn leaving for Narth they should have just let Jon do whatever he wanted.

That's an interesting question...after all that happened, if Jon could have done anything he wanted, what would it have been? He's seen and been through so much.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I think what is hard is that I have waited 20 years for an end to this story. Now that it has come, it is bittersweet to have something that has been a part of me, discussing and debating and theorizing how the story will go over those 20 years since I first read GOT in graduate school, come to a conclusion. I honestly am not hopeful anymore that we will get a book conclusion and having the show has given GRRM an out to not finishing them.

• Agree
Reactions: Carlisle Clone

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I think what is hard is that I have waited 20 years for an end to this story. Now that it has come, it is bittersweet to have something that has been a part of me, discussing and debating and theorizing how the story will go over those 20 years since I first read GOT in graduate school, come to a conclusion. I honestly am not hopeful anymore that we will get a book conclusion and having the show has given GRRM an out to not finishing them.

Too sad to think about. I am hoping with the show ending his schedule allows him to be more focused on finishing. Considering the standard he is trying to reach, I hope he gets some inspiration.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com

Why would Grey Worm not just kill Jon? He has 8,000 Unsullied, and the city. He'd have had every right to do it, you kill Jon there is no King to rule against him.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Why would Grey Worm not just kill Jon? He has 8,000 Unsullied, and the city. He'd have had every right to do it, you kill Jon there is no King to rule against him.

I agree, especially as bloodthirsty and unrestrained as Grey Worm suddenly seemed to be in the last couple of episodes. I think that's just one of those contrivances we have to live with to keep the narrative on track.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
vargyo7.jpg
The only annoyance I had with last night was the part where Samwell said Tyrion wasn't mentioned in The Song of Ice and Fire. There is absolutely no way that story is told without Tyrion Lannister being mentioned.

Other than that I enjoyed it, and loved the show for what it is. I don't think this season would've lived up to peoples expectations no matter how it ended and I never understood why people wanted to bash the show throughout the whole final season after they had so many good thoughts on the show. But to each their own, I guess. Thanks for the ride HBO.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I have this gut feeling GRRM has the books done and was paid by HBO not to release them. I could see him releasing them within the next year or so. HBO should want more source material for their spin-offs. Look what happened to their prime show once it ran out of GRRM's story.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014