Game of Thrones Season 8

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
hy·per·bo·le
/hīˈpərbəlē/
Learn to pronounce
noun
  1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    "he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"
    synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, amplification, embroidery, embellishment, overplaying, excess, overkill; More

LOL, yeah, I know. I laughed at what you wrote. I just started thinking about how GOT wasn't really a how-to book on marriage....or parenting.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This is my read on it too, and ultimately the show and story feels really nihilistic.

My question is actually how long Bran's rule lasts. I think it's less than 10 years.

1. Bran is an incredibly weak king. He has almost no claim to the throne (by Westerosi standards), he is unable to sire children, and apparently he's going to be a puppet ruler where Tyrion controls things, who is an unpopular guy with almost no power base since the entire Lannister army is decimated. Also, Jon didn't denounce his claim, he was punished, giving anybody wanting to challenge Bran's claim all kinds of ammo.
2. Dorne is probably EASILY the stronger power left in Westeros. I can't see them sitting there like you said.
3. Yara had a promise of independence. The Iron Born are not going to sit on that. Plus, there is absolutely nothing to stop them from reaving from the wall to Dorne.
4. For all we know the Dothraki are still there. That's going to go well. Probably the largest and most fearsome standing army in the country by a mile.
5. The Starks just basically rule everything? That's going to rub a lot of people the wrong way.
6. The Iron Bank is still owed a TON of money from the crown for the hiring of the golden company. The tax base of Westeros is basically destroyed... how is Bran going to pay that back...with Bronn as your master of coin?
7. Bronn is basically the ruler of a depopulated area? So the Lannisters just killed everybody in the Reach apparently.

I mean it's hard to imagine just how destroyed Westeros is right now outside of Dorne and maybe the Vale, however I have to assume most of the knights of the Vale were killed in the battle of Winterfell.

2. I would disagree as per the canon Dorne is the least populous region of the Kingdoms, which means they just don’t have the population base to draw a powerful enough army. It’s the whole reason why in the books Doran Martel resorted to convoluted plots to get his revenge on the Lannisters - he doesn’t have the power to go head-on with the Lannisters, much less all of Westeros. Even with the rest of the Westerosi forces decimated from the various wars throughout the saga, Dorne probably still doesn’t have the strength to do much. Keep in mind just how much the North was decimated throughout the series, and yet Sansa claims they still have 10K Northmen waiting outside the city walls. Dorne’s source of strength has always been in its ability to defend itself as it inhabits a landscape that’s almost impossible to invade - it’s a desert (even the Targaryens couldn’t conquer it - Dorne had to be “married” into the kingdom). It’s strength is not as an attacking army.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dorne

7. The Reach is far from a depopulated area. With the North’s independence, it’s now the largest region in area in the Kingdoms. It’s a wealthy region as well, considered to be the second wealthiest next to the Westerlands (if you ignore the fact that the gold mines under Casterly Rock are now dry). It’s also a heavily populated area, and I forget where I read it but I think it’s population is second only to the Crownlands. Why do you think everyone is so hesitant to give a sellsword control of the Reach, and Bronn initially scoffs when Tyrion actually does so? He’s essentially being handed the keys to the second most powerful region in the Kingdoms, not to mention he now controls the food supply of the Kingdoms.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Reach

I guess what I’m saying is it feels like you are greatly overestimating Dorne’s position while greatly underestimating The Reach’s.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I took it like last week's Dany showed the world that she was capable of irrational madness, but it was not a full-blown fall into insanity. Her actions, coupled with her repeated views of how her reign was going to be obtained, set the stage for her not being the ruler that she was perceived to be.

When I look at the her whole body of work, the change really wasn't as drastic as I initially thought. I would have preferred a different trigger (like the aforementioned script change where Rhaegal gets killed by Euron after the bells were sounded), but it wasn't as bad as a lot of people are making it, IMO.

I thought the scene last night with her essentially pleading with Jon to be her ally after she knew she ****** up, only to have Jon kill her was done well. She felt alone through most of the series and ended up that way in the end.

I agree with the general consensus is that more episodes to smooth her transition would have been nice, but I'm ok with how they utilized the time they had.

Tyrion did a great job of laying out Dany’s “descent into madness” while pleading to Jon, didn’t he?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm not so sure it's all that different. Her father thought that the things he was doing were right and justified as well. Madness is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. Megalomania/insanity/vengeance, whatever you want to call it, it was clear that the only way Dany knew how to be in power was through violence. Across the sea, it was obfuscated because her violence was directed at those who "deserved" it, but it was clear that she only knew one way to deal with opposition. When you're a hammer....

Last night kind of helped me define it. Her madness is that she believed she was the sole determiner of good/bad or right/wrong.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Gave up on on this book series a long time ago. I think GRRM's beliefs around what his series is "supposed to be" will keep him from finishing it. He is going to have to break several of his stated values about the series to finish it (soon-ish) in a way that people will enjoy/remember.

For example, he has expressed views on magic in his world needing to be mysterious and dark and requiring a cost/risk. Well, the most magical/mysterious/dark/risky thing in the series was set up to be the white walkers. The entire first 3-4 books just kept building up the war that was going to eventually happen. At some point, you have to get more detailed about what is being fought or else the act of defeating them feels as magical (read: unrealistic) as what was defeated.

Another example around the white walkers: his belief in showing the relativity of human values. People are morally grey. Everyone has their own motivations and think they are doing what's right. That also lasts up until the white walkers show up. Everyone agrees the white walkers are bad/evil. The white walker story works when it is a backdrop to highlight the human greed of the characters. That falls apart when they become the clear and present threat to everyone. In a world where humanity is so demonstrably selfish and short-sighted there is no possible way the white walkers are defeated easily, quickly, and without significant cost.

An actual war with the white walkers with the characters he has developed would be a cluster**** of backstabbing and mistrust that would require an act of magic/god to win. It could easily take 3-4 books/seasons to get through a realistic war (i.e., lots of death, plague, famine, etc.) with the white walkers. I believe that would be a hell of a story, but I don't think it is one GRRM has the time/desire to tell. They plot armored the whole white walker threat away in the show. I don't think they had much choice in it if they wanted to end the show this season.

Because of this, I just don't see GRRM finishing the books without an equally flimsy or absurdly magical resolution to the white walker threat. I think GRRM has written himself into a corner with it and doesn't have a way out that he is happy with.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
30hukjn65dz21.jpg

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Tyrion described her perfectly to Jon. She had become convinced that all her actions were righteous because she had done some truly great things by freeing people from tyrants in Essos. She was convinced that everything she did in King's Landing and would do in the future was justified because she was going to make the world a better place, and could do no wrong.

Jon went to talk some sense into her one last time, but she basically repeated exactly what Tyrion said when she described her burning down King's Landing as necessary to put an end to the tyrany. She really thought it was justified for doing the "greater good". I don't think Jon had decided to kill her until that moment. He realized she was too far gone.
I think Jon was on board with Dany until she said "they don't get to choose" and he was like okay one last aunt kiss *stab*.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't really think so. HBO has a lot of other great content. Transcendent shows like GoT are rare, and people cared less about shows like Veep because they were competing with GoT for people's attention. People are still going to watch TV, and HBO still has quite a few shows that are better than most offerings from other networks.

HBO's quality to crap ratio is outstanding compared to the mostly bad original content on Netflix/Hulu/Prime.

Probably a 1:1 ratio of original content I enjoy to things I don't. On Netflix they pump out 100 pieces of completely unwatchable mindless drivel for every one Stranger Things or GLOW.

They're in a bit of a funk now but AMC is probably HBO's best (and maybe only) competition for a high standard of TV content. Not talking about $$$s but about actual content quality.

Orin02

Nov 23, 2012
I've been skulking here for a few weeks. I'm happy that we got an actual ending but there are some pretty serious problems that I hope are answered more fully in the book. I thought that the episode had some beautiful cinematic elements and Drogon was used well. Peter Dinklage was, as usual, the best actor by far.

1) Where did Drogon go? If you have read Fire and Blood, you quickly come to realize that dragons in GRRM's world don't lose their minds when their rider dies. They generally lay around and eat until another Targ comes to try to claim them as a mount. So I doubt Drogon went far and since the only Targ left is Jon.... problematic, right? I guess that Gendry, as a Baratheon, has some Targ blood in him but that is a mighty thin line.

2) Tyrion's argument for Bran is that... he has a cool story? That is why he should be king? I mean, John was raised in secret by his uncle, went to the wall, became the youngest commander of the night's watch, DIED, came back to life, fought the white walkers, almost single-handedly raised the alarm to the realm, convinced Daenarys to join him, helped defeat the Night King, then saved the planet from his crazy Aunt. And Bran? I got thrown out of a tower by the Lannisters, disappeared, everyone thought I was dead, then I became the three-eyed raven (Which nobody understands) came back into the wall thanks to that Reed girl, then... I was bait for the Night King and my sister killed him. Which one is the better story?

3) The idea that electing a king will cause less strife and bloodshed is an indicator that D&D never heard about the Holy Roman Empire or Elector Counts. If anything, it makes it worse. Now anyone can have a claim.

4) Why is Jon exiled? As someone else said, As soon as the Dothroki and the Unsullied are gone, set him free and make him king. By the time they hear about it, they will be back in Essos and not likely to return. Plus Jon probably gets Drogon and just sinks them if necessary. It is better if Jon declines the throne and exiles himself. Still, a horrible end for a character.

5) When Sansa basically tells them all thanks but no thanks, why wouldn't the Vale, The Iron Islands and Dorne do the same thing? There's no army left after the northerners leave. The Vale is definitely the best defended Kingdom. They have no ships so the Iron Islands are free and clear and nobody even knows what that Dorne guy's name was so they won't miss him. There's no reason for the kingdom to stay together. All the great nobles are basically dead or better off being their own kings/ queens.

I won't get into all of the things that basically don't matter: like Bran being the three-eyed raven, Jon being a Targaryen, etc.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think if you take into account just how sub par this season was and accept all the short comings, rushed story etc..., that last night was a pretty good ending. They did a decent job tying lose ends but still left some mystery.

I thought two comments from Bran were the most intriguing 1. When he responded "I didn't come all this way for nothing" in response to being named King 2. When Drogon was brought up, he said something like "I'll see if I can find him". Both leave some room to assume he had much more of an active impact on what happened or at the least, he knew the eventual outcome.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
D&D loved tv time for the dragons but avoided the Direwolves, Arya face changes and useful Bran warging after Hodor dies. Boooooo.

I read an article a couple of years ago that said because of the cost of special effects they basically had to choose between the dragons and the direwolves. It cost almost as much to do the direwolves as the dragons. Since the dragons are such an important part of the story they had to basically dump the direwolves.

Help Support Us

Become a patron