Does Steve Prohm have a new unofficial standard?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Let's say, for the sake of argument, that in 4 years or so Fred Hoiberg is regularly getting beyond the first round in the NCAA tournament and Steve Prohm is not. Should Hoiberg's success at Nebraska be used as a standard for what we should expect from Steve Prohm here? Would it be reasonable to expect Prohm to do at least as well here as Hoiberg does at Nebraska?

I think so. Iowa State has a DEEP tradition and history in basketball. For all the years that we sucked in football, we regarded ISU as a "basketball school". I don't care who is coaching at Nebraska, we should be able to do as well as a school with next to no history in the sport, and which as of right now still has NO NCAA tournament wins.

I think Pollard giving Prohm a contract extension is going to haunt him.

Lol Iowa State doesn’t have a DEEP tradition and history. We have a good one, that’s about it.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
P9Bi.gif

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
It is almost 2020 ISU has been good enough at basketball over the last 40 yrs to be considered a good basketball school.

All that said best wishes to Fred and I hope Steve always has a better record than him.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
You must be really young. ISU most certainly does NOT have a deep basketball tradition. The current era is the best in school history and it's not even close.
I'm guessing he was just old enough to remember Fizer and Tinsley eras. Suffered through Mcdoormat like we all did and here we are....

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Hoiberg brought ISU basketball back from the dead. And I'll be forever grateful for that because the McDermott years SUCKED.

But let's not pretend Fred Hoiberg was some amazing success here that we haven't seen before. He went had ONE Sweet 16 and 2 conference tournament titles with probably the most cumulative talent we've had at Iowa State (Nader, Burton, Niang, Naz, Monte NBA guys, Matt Thomas who is killing it in Europe and several other professional players).

Prohm has matched that success and had to fill the massive recruiting hold Fred left us in.

Outside of his player status, I have no clue why so many people are clamoring for him back...

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This is why Fred at Nebraska is going to be ******* annoying. And it’s why I hope he fails.