ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
snku_acc.us_mw.png

50.gif

That won't happen.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
No, I just know that unedited weather models pumped out 3 days in advance by a computer has no chance of coming to fruition.

Meanwhile we have real, local meteorologists saying this:

I'm sure its tough to put totals out, but I've literally seen 2-6, 3-4, and 2-4, by different local meteorologists.. why put out anything at all if you're not going to know until after it happens?

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
i posted the 18z nam. not sure if it is accurate or not for this winter. there are many models and some are more accurate in one year and less accurate in another. nam is one of the more respected models.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
No, I just know that unedited weather models pumped out 3 days in advance by a computer has no chance of coming to fruition.

Meanwhile we have real, local meteorologists saying this:

Just for the record I couldn't hack it in meteorology so I switched out of that. Now I just use what knowledge I do have for other things. 99% of the info I post is from the NWS and reputable media outlets. My username is leftover from when I was still majoring in meteorology.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Have a buddy that works for the state and they had a conference about winter weather. He said they had Metinka Slater and Amber Alexander for it and Amber was in the front asking a lot of questions. Metinka just kinda of showed up sat in the back and never said anything. WHO just gained a new viewer.

Plus Amber Alexander is a lot easier to watch. :rolleyes:

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Just for the record I couldn't hack it in meteorology so I switched out of that. Now I just use what knowledge I do have for other things. 99% of the info I post is from the NWS and reputable media outlets. My username is leftover from when I was still majoring in meteorology.

Got it. Thought you were still in the business.

Either way your info is still going to be closer to reality than a model output.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm sure its tough to put totals out, but I've literally seen 2-6, 3-4, and 2-4, by different local meteorologists.. why put out anything at all if you're not going to know until after it happens?

I mean, ultimately if you really care about it you have to view more than just their bottom line precipitation forecasts.

For instance (and this is very surface level) usually you'll have a map of forecasted totals, but if you're listening to the weather forecasters in detail they'll also discuss how different factors could cause that map to shift N\S\E\W or how a different factor could cause more or less moisture in the system, etc. They usually end up describing things pretty well once you let them discuss what theyre seeing as well as the factors that can make weather variable. But people often tune out everything but the 'how much am i gonna get' or there just isnt enough time for them to discuss in detail during their short segment during the evening news. Its still a blend of art and science, and snow in particular is tricky..

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Got it. Thought you were still in the business.

Either way your info is still going to be closer to reality than a model output.

I do what I can. Reading the NWS forecast discussions is a great source of information and provides a lot of insight behind the forecast.

• Winner
Reactions: ZJohnson

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
This guy's a big fat phony!

• Funny
Reactions: moores2 and wxman1

Help Support Us

Become a patron