Winter Weather 1/18-1/19

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I've found NWS (NOAA) is by far the most accurate. Old company I worked for had a pilot, he told me that's the service they used for weather for the above reason.

They are generally very accurate but the depth of information that they provide is what I find the most valuable. It's just not worth the time for broadcast meteorologists to go to that detail because 99% of their audience doesn't care. As long as they can find out if it will be sunny or cloudy, the temp and if it will rain/snow they don't care about the details.

As far as aviation weather goes the NWS Aviation Weather Center has some great info but to me a lot of the time it still comes down to that forecast discussion. I also use some other sources to graphically show the weather as well as an official briefing so that is on record.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Driving back from Cedar Rapids to Cedar Falls area on Friday around 5-6 pm.. Will I be fine?

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
well will be coming back to the parents friday night, will see how "bad" it really gets. will be leaving NE Iowa to head back to Ankeny around 5pm. more worried on how long it will take over the regular 2 1/2 hr trip.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
They are generally very accurate but the depth of information that they provide is what I find the most valuable. It's just not worth the time for broadcast meteorologists to go to that detail because 99% of their audience doesn't care. As long as they can find out if it will be sunny or cloudy, the temp and if it will rain/snow they don't care about the details.

As far as aviation weather goes the NWS Aviation Weather Center has some great info but to me a lot of the time it still comes down to that forecast discussion. I also use some other sources to graphically show the weather as well as an official briefing so that is on record.
I like the forecast discussion provided by the NWS. I don't have a deep understanding of what they are talking about, but I can gather enough to know how certain things are and which direction things are likely to move if the forecast is going to change.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I like the forecast discussion provided by the NWS. I don't have a deep understanding of what they are talking about, but I can gather enough to know how certain things are and which direction things are likely to move if the forecast is going to change.

Me too. I find it fascinating.

Not to get this moved, but the NWS people are not getting paid.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
It’s cool. Screw you northerners.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Cyclonepride

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Looks like the temperature forecast for Saturday / Sunday just changed drastically on KCCi. Now have a high of 13 F Low of 7 F instead of many negatives just a day or so ago. But they have it just getting colder the whole next week. BOOO. I'd rather have snow.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Overnight runs now that the storm is on shore did speed up arrival time a bit.
Probably more like the PM commute in Des Moines now, 4 or 5 PM for start time.

Totals still holding pretty widespread in the 4 to 6 with smaller pockets of 8+

boooo. Supposed to go out to eat in DM tomorrow night and the weather will scare the wife from wanting to go.