Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Can you make an audio drop of this? It pretty much sums up Pollard!

"So you’ve got to have a lot of balls . . . in the air."

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I really like Jamie, but it has certainly not all been rainbows and unicorns for him at ISU. I like how he got in his little zing of people that constantly complain about him or the program:

And I’m not saying that there’s not times that they want to eat their own and there’s not times that they get under my skin and that we don’t have some people that behave just like the people they like to criticize, but, but, the critical mass is very appreciative. But we’re gonna be challenged by that.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I really like Jamie, but it has certainly not all been rainbows and unicorns for him at ISU. I like how he got in his little zing of people that constantly complain about him or the program:

And I’m not saying that there’s not times that they want to eat their own and there’s not times that they get under my skin and that we don’t have some people that behave just like the people they like to criticize, but, but, the critical mass is very appreciative. But we’re gonna be challenged by that.

I like that Jamie can be real. He has certainly been nothing buy "all in" for Iowa State. I'm quite okay with Jamie being Jamie.

His combination of being competitive like an athlete and thorough with the details like an accountant and trusting his gut like a fan has proved to be quite effective.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Great write up and interview. I have a terrible attention span for something like this normally (probably has to do something with podcasts where I can just listen), but this is well worth the read. Excellent stuff.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
When I've had conversations with friends that have feared Campbell leaving, my response to them is that I fear losing Jamie more than Matt.

Not that I don't appreciate Matt and how elite he has become. But as Jamie says, you can't control what you can't control.

His first football coach hire was what we all thought was what we needed. It obviously was not the right fit for ISU. The hire of CPR was perfect by most accounts. We needed one of our own to right the damage done by the leaving of the firmly entrenched one, the players felt abandoned. CPR didn't work out, I think because of many external factors, but mostly bad hires.

Jamie learned yet again that hiring a head coach was what we needed. Not somebody learning on the job.

Jamie has shown that he learns from his mistakes and usually doesn't make that same mistake twice. He's confident, some say cocky, but he's also humble enough to admit a mistake. He gets what it takes to be successful here. You can see how he has learned and built the AD the way it needed to be for ISU to be successful.

Just look at the state of the AD:
Football - The best it's been since the late 70's and trending up
Men's BB - Coach that loves ISU as much as I do and talent like we haven't seen 1-12
Wrestling - Big hire, trending up
Golf - Both programs are either ranked or just outside yearly with it's own state-of-the-art facility.
Cross Country - Unreal success
Track & Field - I'm not sure, but has historically been pretty good
All women's sports appear to be either trending up or very competitive. Not sure what the trend is with Volleyball, but CJL has definitely brought the program to places we hadn't been prior to her.

My summary, like him or not, Jamie has done things for this program and my school that not many, if any, have before him.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I cannot believe the access and transparency you guys get with Pollard, Campbell, and Prohm. Great article. Thanks.

I'd like to know if they're a little more open with CF because it feels more like a conversation than a series of pointed or loaded questions.

• Agree
Reactions: CysRage

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I love JP. I think you could make the case for him on the ISU athletics Mt Rushmore today. And if the football program keeps this up in the next few years you won't even need to make the case, it will just be accepted as well known fact.