JJ Bass

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
It looks like the coaching staff is still testing the water when it comes to our running game. Carrying over from the weak showing against Kent State, trying to get it tuned in for this game (against better competition). This is one of those "growing pains" for sure, but I'm confident they'll get it figured out as the season progresses.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
JJ has a tendancy to run for the corner and not cut back much. He needs to become more unpredictable. ARob is unpredictable. Scales is lower your head and run to a predetermined spot. Itis not that hard to see why ARob does better behind our oline.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I'm not saying anything about his potential..... rather about his performance during his career. He has done a nice job.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Arob seemed to have a slug of carries yesterday where i expected no gain or 1 yard and he managed to get 3. While his numbers werent good, the effort i saw was.

id like to think bass is just behind in terms of missing so much practice and being rusty. They'll need Bass to get up to speed and perform better. Scales doesnt seem to have the neccesary break away speed we need.

Cant say much about jason harris because hes hardly played(despite the long run, who knows what he can do).

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Hey guys dont forget that JJ rushed for over 130 yds 2 out of the first 4 games last year, in which he also rushed for 4 touchdowns so the talent and depth is there. I think he just needs to get a little more of a chance and try to catch back up to speed.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I remember a couple ISU fans on here before the game were giving Iowa the nod because of Shon Greene and the wet field. They were right. It's too bad ISU doesn't have a back who can run hard downfield or maybe that person is being redshirted(Schwartz). I love A-Rob's abilities on a fast track but I think he got too many carries yesterday given the field conditions. We don't really have a thunder to go with our lightning. JJ Bass is more of squirter (sorry, best description I can come up with).

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Did anyone else think that A-rob didn't hit the right hole a few times during the Iowa game? I can think of two or three different times that he could have turned it upfield and got easily about 3-5 more yards and he didn't.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Hey guys dont forget that JJ rushed for over 130 yds 2 out of the first 4 games last year, in which he also rushed for 4 touchdowns so the talent and depth is there. I think he just needs to get a little more of a chance and try to catch back up to speed.

If the staff felt like Bass was able to give us that kind of production against teams like Kent State, Iowa, etc - I feel confident he would have been in there.

He wasn't...supposedly he'd paid his dues on the grade issue...something else is up.

To say Bass has been a disappointment would be an understatement. Especially for all the talk he carried with him last year before the season.

Reactions: ajk4st8

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
How much has JJ played this year? I want to see him with some significant playing time before I annoint A-Rob the "best back by far".

And I saw A-Rob miss some blocks. I even called it during the game "we're going to see Scales because A-Rob's not blocking". (Of course I know that it may have had nothing to do with it--but it was fun to be right.)

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Not sure about anyone else - but by the numbers Shonn Greene didnt exactly tear up ISU's rush defense....okay i can see the stats that shows he had 120 yards on 19 carries, but, 70 yards came on 2 carries. Outside of those two carries, ISU held him to 70 yards on 17 carries - i will take that anyday especially for those of you not lucky enough to see him first hand, we were in the second row and that guy is a hoss....wow he is a physical specimen no doubt.

Onto JJ, i wish 33 would voice in on this, he usually has something good as far as insight especially with the backs. But, when JJ walked off that field on Saturday, he looked seriously pissed. Not just at losing, but pissed that he's not getting the ball. Personally, i'm a Arob/JJ fan i think they could spell one another to provide a serious dynamic duo. Something is up with JJ, my bet is he's got some kind of an injury that's not severe enough to not activate him, but, he's there only for an emergency. I hope its nothing serious - i think him and arob in the backfield with 2 wide receiver set would provide some serious matchup problems.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think that going from a rain drenched field to a desert, we'll see some significant differences in our backs. And all of our other skill position players. Heck, and all of our players, period.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I think that going from a rain drenched field to a desert, we'll see some significant differences in our backs. And all of our other skill position players. Heck, and all of our players, period.

I hope your right Aclone - imo UNLV will be another very stout test for this young team not to mention the emotional drain that is the Iowa game. Our boyz walking off the field looked very upset and physically drained. Great another road game to either continue the slide or make a statement.

Rise up boyz and make a statement win for this program. Dry field last week even in Kinnick i really liked our chances - wet game i figured would favor the power running game, but, i thought our boyz held strong giving up a few big runs but all in all, a pretty solid day.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
We never guessed his ability on the field. More of his character off the field. I REALLY hope he's ready to help this team. He looked money out there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron