JJ Bass

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Where was he today? I am starting to think he may not play much this year.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I'm all for Chizik letting players know who is in charge but if he really is one of our best backs...which I'm not so sure of....he needs to see the field. The 'message' has been sent.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
I think Wallace Franklin and Allen Bell have experienced similar circumstances(albeit Bell is playing now).

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
When people posted his facebook or whatever it's called stuff, I immediately became wary of him. Maybe all the players do it, but he seemed far, far too cocky for my liking with a lot of ME involved.

A-Rob is a good back and has the potential to be great. I'll take him over Bass any day of the week.

A-Rob is going to be special.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
I'm all for Chizik letting players know who is in charge but if he really is one of our best backs...which I'm not so sure of....he needs to see the field. The 'message' has been sent.

You don't know why JJ didn't see the field, so there's no point in second guessing.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
A-Rob is a power runner but didn't appear to be hitting the holes very fast today. I think he's better than he showed today.

BUT there is a certain someone sitting out this year that will have something to say about the running back situation next year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
A Rob can change directions on muddy field - our only back. Hawks tacklers stay in lanes and get good position. You need a direction changing back on muddy field. Few slips though today. Grant Mahoney looked good today - the off center snaps threw the fieldgoal timing off. Brandtner looks like money.

Biggest weakness is protecting the sidelines against runbacks on kick offs and opunts. What is up with that? Last week it was KSU always running back on left sidelines and getting to the corner. Now you had Broell run up the sideline. Should be easier to push people out of bounds that we are making it.

Last edited:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
A-Rob is a power runner but didn't appear to be hitting the holes very fast today. I think he's better than he showed today.

BUT there is a certain someone sitting out this year that will have something to say about the running back situation next year.

I thought he hit the inside holes hard and ran very hard today. A few time he had one guy to beat but didnt. If he would have had a shorter shirt on he would have had 6 on one play. When he ran outside is when he had problems. Iowa did a good job on getting their guys to stay home and stop the QB and RB runs outside as well as any delays ISU ran.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
ARob is clearly the best running back. It's really not even close, IMO. He got a lot of yards where there was nothing. And there was nothing most of the day. Our OLine really doesn't seem to have developed from last year. They may have even gone backwards. Disappointing to see...

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
I thought he got a lot of extra yards when there wasn't much there.

I found his play very encouraging. This is supposedly a stout front 4 for the Hawks and he exploited them to a degree.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Did we have any problems today with ARob blocking? Not that I saw. I saw some of our ends letting their bodies be jumped when they tried to go a little low.

Best part of our defense was our cornerbacks and safeties.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
Did we have any problems today with ARob blocking? Not that I saw. I saw some of our ends letting their bodies be jumped when they tried to go a little low.

Best part of our defense was our cornerbacks and safeties.

I caught a couple of time that he missed a block but he is getting better.

I was encouraged by our DB's too...and the exciting part is that we are so young at that position. I think the future is bright for our secondary.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I do have to admit that JJ has been a huge disappointment since coming to ISU.

Injuries weren't his fault last year. Suspensions and barely playing is not what I expected from him. I really hope he can get his act together.

AROB is NOT enough to carry us through the entire Big 12 season. He is just going to wear down.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
I thought he hit the inside holes hard and ran very hard today. A few time he had one guy to beat but didnt. If he would have had a shorter shirt on he would have had 6 on one play. When he ran outside is when he had problems. Iowa did a good job on getting their guys to stay home and stop the QB and RB runs outside as well as any delays ISU ran.

Agreed, A-Rob ran well yesterday, he is clearly our best back.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I do have to admit that JJ has been a huge disappointment since coming to ISU.

Injuries weren't his fault last year. Suspensions and barely playing is not what I expected from him. I really hope he can get his act together.

AROB is NOT enough to carry us through the entire Big 12 season. He is just going to wear down.

I agree. We need more than one capable running back. A lot of us thought that the running back position was going to be a strength, but it has turned out to be anything but.

I still cannot believe that A-Rob was the only one to receive a handoff yesterday. Unreal that we wouldn't give them another look at anyone else in that game.