Big 12 / Big East Future Series being discussed

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I like it. As others said, additional chance for a quality non-league opponent.

Is the reason they won't make it an official challenge mainly due to difficulty scheduling around early-season tournaments and non-league rivalry matchups, that sort of thing? I guess I could understand that limitation.

I still think it could work, just spread it over 3 or 4 days like ACC/Big Ten does. Don't have to make it like Big 12/SEC all-in-one-day thing. As long as it isn't like Big 12/then-Pac-10 was when games were scheduled over the course of like a month.

No biggie if it's just a pact and not a challenge, doesn't matter to me, but it seems like it'd generate more media attention as a challenge.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Then we need to have a better season next year, else we will be playing DePaul or St. John's in something like this.

Yes, article says 2019-20 is earliest it'd happen. So hopefully ISU's level is pecking order is much higher after 18-19 (and if DePaul/St. John's rise significantly, it's OK to get matched with one of those.)

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I just hope this isnt scheduled later in the season like the SEC challenge. I hate how that was moved to january and pushed an extra conference game into holiday break, when we don't have as much of a home court advantage without the students.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yes, article says 2019-20 is earliest it'd happen. So hopefully ISU's level is pecking order is much higher after 18-19 (and if DePaul/St. John's rise significantly, it's OK to get matched with one of those.)

As a fan, those games would suck. As a player, like others have said, the Chicago guys would probably love to play at DePaul or at MSG.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Much rather play Marquette than Missouri State. And it seems that's the options at play here by doing this arrangement. Everyone gets a schedule upgrade. It forces or makes possible good home&home games. Why would anyone not take it seriously?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
As a fan, those games would suck. As a player, like others have said, the Chicago guys would probably love to play at DePaul or at MSG.

Yeah, those wouldn't be my top choices. For regional interest and relative program strength, I'd rather have Creighton or Marquette. A "weird-ity" is I didn't even consider wanting to play Georgetown in a home-and-home.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This would be great. A noncon of SEC/BE/Iowa/UNI/Exempt Tournament gives us basically 8 games, probably at least 7 of which are interesting. The rest can be basically buy games and it's still a great schedule.

Agree. It adds another "P6" for sure, sometimes an advantage for SOS, sometimes not, depending on year. Although it's probably 7 filled slots, not 8 — unless a one-off neutral site game could be

The schedule would include these guaranteed games, then fill-ins (let's assume 12 non-league games) -- not in order of calendar appearance.

1. Iowa (home/road)
2. Big 4 (neutral Drake/UNI)
3. Big 12/SEC Challenge
4. Big East alliance home/road
5. Early season tournament (1)
6. EST (2)
7. EST (3)
Games 8-12 probably default to "buy" games.

For extra potential beef, occasionally Game #8 could be a neutral one-off (like CU a few years ago) or standalone H/A (such as ISU-Mizzou in 17 and 18) . Maybe from AAC, A-10 or even Pac-12. You'd have to balance location w/ how the sequence falls w/ Iowa-Big 4-B12/SEC and the Big East rotation.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Nearing the official word, hadn't seen any updates in a couple of months.

@JonRothstein The Big East and Big 12 are planning an annual "challenge" between the two leagues, per multiple sources. Event is likely to begin during the 19-20 season and could be finalized by next month.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
An ISU - Butler match-up needs to happen. The Indianapolis connection is big with the recent Pioneer (Johnston, IA) & Dow Agrosciences (Indianapolis) merger. That could be an annual/semi-annual game if the new Ag Company (Corteva Agrisciences) wanted to sponsor it.

Mmbrooks

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2015
Montreal, QC
This proposed scheduling agreement is 100% a reaction to the Big 10 and ACC increasing their number of conference games to 20.

Since Big 12 and Big East both do the double round robin the only way to uniformally increase the number of P6 games played is to start this scheduling agreement.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Bring Marquette to town to get a better look at the farm system
Would be a fun trip, too.
Or play at DePaul for our Chicago contingent.

Without checking for existing scheduled games, wild guess at matchups, but I’m guessing KU-Nova, UT-Georgetown, Marquette-Iowa State, West Virginia-Butler, KSU-Creighton, Oklahoma-Xavier, DePaul-Ok St, TT-St Johns, TCU-Seton Hall, Baylor-Providence

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Another chance to get a high caliber team to come to Ames.

Hoping we have a couple great seasons in front of us so when after KU/Nova do a home/home, we get a crack at them.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron