Big 12 / Big East Future Series being discussed

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
This would be pretty interesting if the details get worked out and add another "good" non-con game that ISU wouldn't have to negotiate in the future.

@AlexHalsted Jamie Pollard said the Big 12 is in talks with the Big East about some sort of basketball series. Not necessarily a challenge but maybe some sort of scheduling pact down the road as some leagues go to 20 conference games.

@AlexHalsted Steve Prohm likes the idea. He said it could replace a home and home type series like the one with Missouri this year and give them a good game each year to go with Iowa, the SEC Challenge and holiday tournament.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Beating Creighton... in Hilton......
giphy.gif

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This would be great. A noncon of SEC/BE/Iowa/UNI/Exempt Tournament gives us basically 8 games, probably at least 7 of which are interesting. The rest can be basically buy games and it's still a great schedule.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Based on net rating per 100 last year as a "challenge" top to bottom...

Kansas v. Villanova

West Virginia v. Xavier

Texas Tech v. Butler

TCU v. Creighton

Baylor v. Seton Hall

Texas v. Marquette

Oklahoma v. Providence

KSU v. St. John's

OSU v. Georgetown

Iowa State v. DePaul

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Assuming this is somewhat based upon standings, I think I could handle playing Villanova regularly, going forward.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I think that would be awesome. They have good programs that are probably like us, and have a difficult time scheduling high major opponents. These conference challenges, force teams to do a home and home with good opponents essentially.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
A game in Chicago might not be boring for the 4 players we have from the area.

It's less about the players on our roster and more about the level of competition. We should be striving to be playing teams with some national recognition.

Reactions: heitclone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Sig, thanks for that post there would some pretty interesting games in that series. Most those teams have pretty solid name recognition it would be way more fun than some of the games we end up playing/scheduling.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
It's less about the players on our roster and more about the level of competition. We should be striving to be playing teams with some national recognition.

The good thing about this is the team can earn the higher profile games by performing well. Assuming it is like the SEC challenge and they attempt to match programs by expected performance every year.
Though it is a minor aspect, I like the idea of getting extra games in the Mid-West and North-East for the recruiting aspect.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
This would be pretty interesting if the details get worked out and add another "good" non-con game that ISU wouldn't have to negotiate in the future.

@AlexHalsted Jamie Pollard said the Big 12 is in talks with the Big East about some sort of basketball series. Not necessarily a challenge but maybe some sort of scheduling pact down the road as some leagues go to 20 conference games.

@AlexHalsted Steve Prohm likes the idea. He said it could replace a home and home type series like the one with Missouri this year and give them a good game each year to go with Iowa, the SEC Challenge and holiday tournament.

I think I would really enjoy the road trips more than the home games. A lot of the Big East teams are in large cities, so could make a vacation out of it.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron