Big 12 / Big East Future Series being discussed

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
The Big 10 and ACC are moving to 20 conference games which is not possible for 10 team leagues like the Big East and Big 12. I think this challenge is to get another Power league game scheduled to keep pace with the 20 game league schedules. It matters to bubble teams on Selection Sunday.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Oh. So no more Drake or UNI going forward?

I know there hasn't been much interest from Drake or UNI to come to Ames.. and I don't see Iowa State wanting to go play @Drake or @UNI.
Last week Iowa scheduled Cincinnati I believe in a game that likely replaces their Big 4 Classic spot

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
So does this replace the SEC game or are we doing both now?

I believe they will do both. The SEC Challenge is in the Spring so scheduling shouldn't be an issue. As others have stated it is a logical replacement for the Big 4 Classic game and a major upgrade from a quality of opponent perspective. This is a positive "challenge" for the both conferences.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I know there hasn't been much interest from Drake or UNI to come to Ames.. and I don't see Iowa State wanting to go play @Drake or @UNI.
Last week Iowa scheduled Cincinnati I believe in a game that likely replaces their Big 4 Classic spot

So sounds like no more Drake or UNI then?

We refuse to go to Knapp or McLeod and/or want more than 1:1 (e.g., 2:1) with Hilton?

They are going to hold the 1:1 line, so no progress will be made?

I get the economics of it from our perspective, but I always enjoyed the round-robin between the four major programs in the state. I am sad to see that ending.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM

We refuse to go to Knapp or McLeod and/or want more than 1:1 (e.g., 2:1) with Hilton?

I get the economics of it from our perspective, but I always enjoyed the round-robin between the four major programs in the state. I am sad to see that ending.
I know the UNI AD wasnt interested

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

JP sounded pretty firm in his stance on only playing them at Hilton.
And if we replace that game with a Big East team, its a step up. Not only are the opponents bigger names than Drake/UNI but we could also get a game in some fertile recruiting areas.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
JP sounded pretty firm in his stance on only playing them at Hilton.
And if we replace that game with a Big East team, its a step up. Not only are the opponents bigger names than Drake/UNI but we could also get a game in some fertile recruiting areas.

Bigger names and better recruiting ground - Yes. Better opponent will depend on the year: UNI would beat St Johns and DePaul most years and has been better than Georgetown the last several years.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Curious that they set & announced only 4 match ups on Media day instead of just waiting for all match-ups to be set and announced together?
I think a lot of us would have been looking for Creighton and Marquette matchups for possible travel reasons. I suppose a case could be made for DePaul for that reason but I'm hoping for a notch up in competition once ISU's opponent is announced.

spk123

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines
Curious that they set & announced only 4 match ups on Media day instead of just waiting for all match-ups to be set and announced together?
I think a lot of us would have been looking for Creighton and Marquette matchups for possible travel reasons. I suppose a case could be made for DePaul for that reason but I'm hoping for a notch up in competition once ISU's opponent is announced.

Those matchups were only announced because they are playing this year, so next year will be other half of the home-and-home contract.

• Informative
Reactions: LLCoolCY

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Hoping for Butler or Xavier, probably going to end up with DePaul. Wouldn’t be bad for travel but not a sexy matchup.