The new club section sucks (my review)

jberryma

Oct 5, 2006
Do you really have a problem with the new club section or just the food? Because to me it sounds like you liked the game experience it was just the food that created the issues. In that case it should be an easy fix and Pollard would probably appreciate the feedback. did they get a new catering service when they opened up the new club section or do they even cater it in? I don't have that type of money so I wouldn't know

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the review. I think people are probably right that if we have a complaint we should go to JP, but message boards are for griping and sharing excitement, etc. I appreciate getting some insight. Especially since I probably will never have season tickets to a suite.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Because it was so loud in the stadium I could not hear my cell phone. I ended up meeting her. It's just that the guy could have let him bring her to me.

As far as my e-mail to Jamie Pollard. It will happen. I will give it a few days though.

My experience gameday was great. I am not complaining about anything other than my club experience. It's a review for anyone who might want to buy tickets in that section. I see nothing wrong with my review.

I sincerely doubt that would ever happen. They aren't going to let people into the section who don't have tickets to be there. Too much hassle to track people and I don't blame them. It's your responsibility to get your daughter, not the ushers.

But you have a valid complaint with everything else and I don't blame you one bit for being upset by it.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I agree but this is not the place to voice those complaints.

I can't agree with that and it was never a point I tried to make at least. This site is about many things.

However, a rant like this surely isn't going to change a thing. Not just the fact it was done here (things that get posted here do make it to the ADs office sometimes)...but the manner in which it was done. Going to someone to complain with stuff like "sucks", "screwed", "crappy", etc isn't going to garner much attention.

Not to mention, since the season has started, it's been a non-stop ***** fest about something around here. Parking, night games, Thursday games, uniforms, pregame stuff, etc.

Plus, the whole sick from the food thing doesn't make sense (as illustrated in the question quoted below). I'm assuming if it were that bad and the food was making people sick, such a thing would have been shared by more than one person by now.

No, you forgot that part. But wouldn't the food have left everybody sick?

-keep.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I agree but this is not the place to voice those complaints.

I don't see anything "wrong" with voicing complaints here. Granted, it's unlikely that voicing complaints here is going to improve the situation. However, it seems to me that someone describing their gameday experience is perfectly legitimate content for this forum.

Reactions: ianoconnor

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
That is the whole reason for a message board. If we went to the source on everything there would be no reason for a message board.

The whole reason for a board is too complain????:eek::eek:

Why the heck did I come here??? Maybe info about coaches and players. Inside info... Complaining about everything??? Not so much.

Why wouldn't you go to the source???

Also, the comment about warning people so they don't spend the money really gets under my skin. What happens if by the end of the year, they are serving prime rib and champagne is flowing from the rafters and your not reporting it?? How will people know about the perks or positives?? Everyone points out the negative, and rarely the positive.

Plus, please explain what you expect to achieve by telling us this?? Because, I'll be sure to mention it to JP later today as I'm whipping his butt..

Reactions: keepngoal

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
A outside view....

It is a work in progress, I am sure they are finishing some things up and would like the feed back that would make fans have a enjoyable experience. Contact JP, when I have visited ISU he has always been helpful and wants the fans to be happy. Some of the food selection may fall on a independent concessionare, if that is the case, I'm sure JP will help you contact them. Professionalism and patience always goes a long way, it is the 2nd game in a newly renovated Stadium, I believe they will fix it, if they know about it.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I can attest to emailing JP
At thursday nights game, the persons taking money for parking wanted an extra $20 for canopys/ tents, and I was a bit outraged, as they then proceeded to tell me they've always charged that, but just never enforced it. I then proceeded to email JP on Friday morning, and he forwarded my email to a DPS parking person. Got a response and my 20 bucks back, and was told that they will NOT be doing this again unless they find it necessary to do so.. Amazing what a few words can accomplish.

I haven't had this happen, and we've been taking and using a tent for a couple of years. Or were you talking about something else?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Sucks is a pretty harsh word...disappointed is more rational.

Agreed. However, we all should consider our choice of words on this board, especially because it's all opinions.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I can attest to emailing JP
At thursday nights game, the persons taking money for parking wanted an extra $20 for canopys/ tents, and I was a bit outraged, as they then proceeded to tell me they've always charged that, but just never enforced it. I then proceeded to email JP on Friday morning, and he forwarded my email to a DPS parking person. Got a response and my 20 bucks back, and was told that they will NOT be doing this again unless they find it necessary to do so.. Amazing what a few words can accomplish.

A outside view....

It is a work in progress, I am sure they are finishing some things up and would like the feed back that would make fans have a enjoyable experience. Contact JP, when I have visited ISU he has always been helpful and wants the fans to be happy. Some of the food selection may fall on a independent concessionare, if that is the case, I'm sure JP will help you contact them. Professionalism and patience always goes a long way, it is the 2nd game in a newly renovated Stadium, I believe they will fix it, if they know about it.

Good posts.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
You might not expect them to cater to kids, but they certainly need to. Club sections in some cases are a better avenue (certainly more expensive) for parents to get their kids to games. There is more room and likely a safer environment.

clone61

Dec 8, 2007
NE Iowa
I haven't had this happen, and we've been taking and using a tent for a couple of years. Or were you talking about something else?

Actually this is the first year I have had it happen, dont know what lot your tailgate occurs in , but Im in G4 I think its called, accross from Vet med. I just found it interesting that they "should have been enforcing it", but this was the first time I had ever heard of it.
They basically were trying to eliminate people from setting up in another spot, and taking up 2 spots without paying for it. I should find the email and post it

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't see anything "wrong" with voicing complaints here. Granted, it's unlikely that voicing complaints here is going to improve the situation. However, it seems to me that someone describing their gameday experience is perfectly legitimate content for this forum.

People are automatically assuming his intent was just to complain. Maybe he wants to inform potential club people that his experience was not worth it. I for one was curious about it, not that I'll ever get those tickets but I was wondering what the experience was like. Somebody had a negative experience, I'm sure many others had positive ones, but I'm getting a glimpse into how the better half lives and I appreciate it.

Reactions: keepngoal

clone61

Dec 8, 2007
NE Iowa
Here is the converstaion I had

Dear Mr. Pollard,
When I came to yesterdays game to tailgate outside Jack Trice in lot G4, I was asked if I had a tent, and I replied that I did not have a tent, rather a Canopy. I was then informed that it was an additional $20.00 to set up my 10'x10' canopy. I asked the young lady who was working when this went into effect, and she replied it was her first game, so I then proceeded to ask the ISU DPS officer who was supervising. She then proceeded to tell me that they have ALWAYS done this, but just havent been enforcing it much. I am asking you is there such a fee for this, as I am unable to locate it anywhere in documentation on cyclones.com. I did find that tents needed to be a 10'x10' max, but nothing mentioned about an additional fee for having a vital tool in my tailgating experience. I have tailgated this lot for the last two seasons now, and not once been asked if I had a canopy/tent, and that if I was setting it up more money was needed. I just wanted to bring this to your attention, as in this situation it would be just as easy, and less expensive to buy an additional parking spot for $15.00 rather then have to spend another twenty. Thank your for your time, and hope this brings something to your attention that might not have been before.

Respons from JP:

Thank you for your email. I appreciate your taking the time to write me. Unfortunately I do not know the answer to your question since lot G4 is managed by the University, not athletics. That being said, I am going to forward it to the individual on campus that oversees those lots so they can respond directly to you so we both can know the answer. My guess is it was implemented to avoid people paying for one space but taking up two spaces with their tailgate. However, if that is the case, than I agree that you should simply purchase a second spot.

Thanks again for the email and for attending the game last night. Hopefully you had a great time.​

Response from DPS:

Dear Mr. *******, first of all let me apologize for any inconvenience you had. We want your game day experience to be an enjoyable one. There must have been some confusion on our end as we should have only charged you an additional $15 per spot. We sat down and discussed how we could make this process easier for you as our guests and for us in getting people in and out of the lots. What we have decided for the mean time as to not charge for tents and see how it goes. We would like help from you and others to keep the tents located close to your cars as possible and to keep the fire lanes open. If you give me your address I will send you your $20 back. Thanks for bringing this to my attention as we continue to strive to make your entire experience a positive one. Please let me know if any other questions…….

Last edited:
Reactions: dustinal

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
People are automatically assuming his intent was just to complain. Maybe he wants to inform potential club people that his experience was not worth it. I for one was curious about it, not that I'll ever get those tickets but I was wondering what the experience was like. Somebody had a negative experience, I'm sure many others had positive ones, but I'm getting a glimpse into how the better half lives and I appreciate it.

I agree with you but considering the source has a history of negative posts and complaining, I can also see why people are jumping all over him.

I would hate to have potential club section people to decide against it because they are reading one guy's take on it. Especially since they don't know this guy's history of complaining about nearly everything.

Reactions: ISUFan22

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
The whole reason for a board is too complain????:eek::eek:

Why the heck did I come here??? Maybe info about coaches and players. Inside info... Complaining about everything??? Not so much.

Why wouldn't you go to the source???

Also, the comment about warning people so they don't spend the money really gets under my skin. What happens if by the end of the year, they are serving prime rib and champagne is flowing from the rafters and your not reporting it?? How will people know about the perks or positives?? Everyone points out the negative, and rarely the positive.

Plus, please explain what you expect to achieve by telling us this?? Because, I'll be sure to mention it to JP later today as I'm whipping his butt..

Yep. I've got a friend that went the club section route this year and loves it. I would also say that he highly would recommend it to those with the means. Everybody has a different opinion...

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Do you really have a problem with the new club section or just the food? Because to me it sounds like you liked the game experience it was just the food that created the issues. In that case it should be an easy fix and Pollard would probably appreciate the feedback. did they get a new catering service when they opened up the new club section or do they even cater it in? I don't have that type of money so I wouldn't know

I agree. This isn't really a complaint about the Club Section, just the food. I wonder how many can complain about the rest of it when they are sitting in that radiant heat with flat screens later this fall. I think that the inside is VERY nice. Food can be changed. A different caterer, a different menu no big deal. I do think that the Club and Suites should have some good food available for the money that they bring in and the relatively inexpensive cost of catering. Hot dogs, hamburgers, chips and rice crispie bars don't cut it. Should be more like smoked pork loin, steaks, BBQ ribs and pulled pork, maybe catfish. And there should be a kids menu.

I would contact Pollard with your comments. But not "The Club Section Sucks!". Be polite and let him know that you were disappointed with the food and why.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
I am sure that the dude knows that this message board isn't going to solve anything.

Why do we talk about the starting quarterback? That isn't going to solve anything.
Why do we talk about what the score of the game will be? That isn't going to solve anything.
Why do we discuss what the OL needs to do to improve? That isn't going to solve anything.

About the only thing this place can solve deal with treadmills and boiling water. :wink:

I don't come here for solutions, I come here for others thoughts and opinions.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Let's be honest here.

How many does the club section seat? Something like 530 or so? Given that very small number and the fact that the odds of another club section member (or potential member) actually spends time in these forums, makes posting to this forum look like a call for attention to oneself.

IMO, it makes little or no sense to complain here unless your sole reason is to stroke your ego as you make sure everyone here knows you are in the club section.
The poster may have legitimate complaints, but they should be shared with the appropriate audience. Anything else is just grandstanding.