If you’re an AD, is TJ Otz on your short list?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I wouldn't see why not, but the last SDSU coach ended up at a mid major. If I were TJ I'd hold out a bit longer. 2 or 3 more years of success and he might not have to settle for that. This year I don't think there are jobs available that sound super appealing.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
On our radar? Yes. On another power 5 schools radar? Probably not yet. We have a special connection to him, that would allow us to hire him probably earlier than most other schools would.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
I wouldn't see why not, but the last SDSU coach ended up at a mid major. If I were TJ I'd hold out a bit longer. 2 or 3 more years of success and he might not have to settle for that. This year I don't think there are jobs available that sound super appealing.
Main reason Nagy left SDSU was to be closer to his and his wife's family. Also, I don't think a lot of teams were targeting him because he had been at SDSU for 20+ years and the thought was he would never leave. I do think TJ will be in Brookings at least for a couple more years.

• Agree
Reactions: LindenCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Depends on the AD. Although not many from the Summit go straight to a P5, it’s not unheard of young, up-and-coming guys to make the jump. Look no further than Prohm going from the OVC to ISU.

• Agree

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
On our radar? Yes. On another power 5 schools radar? Probably not yet. We have a special connection to him, that would allow us to hire him probably earlier than most other schools would.
What is our timeline?

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Depends on the AD. Although not many from the Summit go straight to a P5, it’s not unheard of young, up-and-coming guys to make the jump. Look no further than Prohm going from the OVC to ISU.
Main reason Nagy left SDSU was to be closer to his and his wife's family. Also, I don't think a lot of teams were targeting him because he had been at SDSU for 20+ years and the thought was he would never leave. I do think TJ will be in Brookings at least for a couple more years.

I'm with you guys. I don't think he just makes a quick jump, though he might start to get on some people's radar. I could see him going to a P5 in a year or two, but one that might be willing to take a chance, i.e. a lower level one. If he builds something for 2-3 years there, he could be in demand. I think the Summit League has gotten a better reputation in recent years.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
TJ is pretty respected in the coaching circles especially in the mid west. A lot of national media though him taking over for CFH was realistic at the time. I am not sure he has the resume to jump to the P5 level yet but he could in 4-5 years.
It wouldn't surprise me if we hear his name associated with higher mid level jobs (MVC, MWC, AAC). CSU would seem like a natural step up for instance.
If he times his move right he could be primed for one of the local P5 jobs that could open soon U of Minn, Wisconsin, DePaul and Nebraska. His local recruiting in the MW is already proven.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Would love to see him at DePaul. That program really should be doing much better than it is. It's pretty much been dead for 20 years.
Prohm just pulled 3 of the top recruits out of Chicago. Why would you want to see an ace recruiter in Chicago to compete against? A big east school in Chicago should be good. I vaguely remember them toward the end of the Joey Meyer era. They were good but I think they vacated lots of those wins.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'm with you guys. I don't think he just makes a quick jump, though he might start to get on some people's radar. I could see him going to a P5 in a year or two, but one that might be willing to take a chance, i.e. a lower level one. If he builds something for 2-3 years there, he could be in demand. I think the Summit League has gotten a better reputation in recent years.
Yeah, the Summit is better, plus TJ has been a major assistant at the P5 level.

• Agree

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
TJ is known as a pretty good recruiter. Now that he's showing he can coach, I do think he'll start to rise in the coaching ranks.

He probably has Daum back next year, so I would look for him to ride that horse at least one more year rather than settling for a mid tier job.

Help Support Us

Become a patron