If you’re an AD, is TJ Otz on your short list?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
TJ is pretty respected in the coaching circles especially in the mid west. A lot of national media though him taking over for CFH was realistic at the time. I am not sure he has the resume to jump to the P5 level yet but he could in 4-5 years.
It wouldn't surprise me if we hear his name associated with higher mid level jobs (MVC, MWC, AAC). CSU would seem like a natural step up for instance.
If he times his move right he could be primed for one of the local P5 jobs that could open soon U of Minn, Wisconsin, DePaul and Nebraska. His local recruiting in the MW is already proven.
I don't think MVC is much of a step up from the Summit post Creighton and WSU. If I were AD at the schools you mention, I would definitely have him on my list. Obviously he can recruit, has good assistant experience, and has now shown he can run a program and be a solid Xs and Os guy. Minnesota would be a great fit. The Twin cities produce good talent every year. I think TJ could succeed at any of these, but I think Nebraska is a tough job. Play second fiddle to a Big East school in your crappy state without much bball talent.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Prohm just pulled 3 of the top recruits out of Chicago. Why would you want to see an ace recruiter in Chicago to compete against? A big east school in Chicago should be good. I vaguely remember them toward the end of the Joey Meyer era. They were good but I think they vacated lots of those wins.

Good point. I was more thinking as a Chicagoan who used to root for DePaul. I think the wins that were vacated were under Kennedy after Meyer. Meyer had some good teams in the early 90's, but then got horrible. I think one year they had 3 wins.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Good point. I was more thinking as a Chicagoan who used to root for DePaul. I think the wins that were vacated were under Kennedy after Meyer. Meyer had some good teams in the early 90's, but then got horrible. I think one year they had 3 wins.
Yeah, could be. Joey Meyer is the name I remember when it seemed like they were always on CBS and in the tourney.
Still, best to keep TJ out of Chicago and Wisconsin. He can have The Gophers since our much discussed Minneapolis pipeline never did materialize.
Hawks better not hope he goes to DePaul, as TJ might put a dent in the Muscatine and McCaffery household pipelines Fran has locked down.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Yeah, could be. Joey Meyer is the name I remember when it seemed like they were always on CBS and in the tourney.
Still, best to keep TJ out of Chicago and Wisconsin. He can have The Gophers since our much discussed Minneapolis pipeline never did materialize.
Hawks better not hope he goes to DePaul, as TJ might put a dent in the Muscatine and McCaffery household pipelines Fran has locked down.

Yeah, I think Kennedy had some shady recruiting practices and that's where the wheels fell off (again). I checked and Meyer's last year he had 3 wins. That was pretty much the end for him.

I hope TJ does well, but wouldn't mind seeing him stay at SDSU a couple more years.

Reactions: cyfanatic

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Selfishly I don't want TJ anywhere near the Midwest at a P5 program. He is an ace recruiter and has a similar style of play. But I wish the best for him.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
how about Oats from Buffalo? looks like he can coach a little.. His team plays extremely hard. They attack the hoop like crazy and play defense.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
One more missed tourney and Gard is gone. Almost perfect timing for TJ. Wisconsin would be perfect.
If TJ is our unofficial insurance policy in case Prohm leaves (to say Alabama or something) I don't think we would want to see him at Wisconsin when our job opens up. He probably wouldn't leave.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I would have him on my short list for sure. I don't think he gets any high major offers yet though. With Daum and Jenkins coming back though, I think he has another good year next year and then turns that into a better job.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If TJ is our unofficial insurance policy in case Prohm leaves (to say Alabama or something) I don't think we would want to see him at Wisconsin when our job opens up. He probably wouldn't leave.

Wasn't Prohm's name brought up at Georgia already? I don't see that happening and I obviously don't want to see him go, but TJ would be a great replacement.