Report: 30+ teams could be punished for recruiting violations

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Again, I doubt many people are relying on their African American Studies degree from the University of North Carolina to get them a job. Everyone who reads a tiny bit of news knows that this was the degree program involved in all of the issues at Carolina. Employers don't magically lose their minds and apply that line of thinking to ANY degree from Carolina.

You might want to ask some of the non-athletes or non-revenue sport athletes if that is really the case. They could argue reasonably in court that it was not.

Nobody likes their specific degree from their specific school dragged through the mud.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Employers based what they do off reputation and what they hear on the news, subjectively, not based on any formal rulings from accreditation agencies.

Academic prestige is cultural, not scientific.

UNC is considered one of the most prestigious public universities in the nation, alongside Michigan, Cal, Virginia, and Texas. I highly doubt an academic scandal that is limited to the involvement of the athletic department and nowhere else has any impact on the prestige of everyone else's degrees. Sure, it's a bad look for the athletic department and the university, but I doubt doctors, lawyers, and business will be all that terribly concerned by it.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
UNC is considered one of the most prestigious public universities in the nation, alongside Michigan, Cal, Virginia, and Texas. I highly doubt an academic scandal that is limited to the involvement of the athletic department and nowhere else has any impact on the prestige of everyone else's degrees. Sure, it's a bad look for the athletic department and the university, but I doubt doctors, lawyers, and business will be all that terribly concerned by it.

Every little bit hurts. The competition between those top-tier schools is pretty fierce. If I found out ISU was doing this, I would be embarrassed about it from this kind of strict reputation, prestige, and scholarly perspective we are talking about.

It is a black spot, if only a small one, you do not want when going up against those others.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
http://www.kwch.com/content/news/Former-Wichita-State-player--474943883.html
emot-munch.gif

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Looks like there are more specific schools/players being named publicly now. Haven't seen us listed so good stuff so far. Surprise surprise Kansas and Texas are both named.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
$10,000 for Fultz and was the first pick of he draft. No one played his cards better. Make off with thousands of dollars that you'll never earn

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Somewhat related...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/column-how-an-epidemic-of-grade-inflation-made-as-average

"Grade inflation — no, hyperinflation — is running rampant in American higher education. At Yale, where I have been both a student and an instructor, the average GPA has risen considerably over the past 50 years. And my alma mater is not unique.

A recent study revealed that 42 percent of four-year college grades are A’s, and 77 percent are either A’s or B’s. According to Inside Higher Ed, “At four-year schools, awarding of A’s has been going up five to six percentage points per decade and A’s are now three times more common than they were in 1960.” At Yale, 62 percent of grades were in the A range in the spring of 2012. That figure was only 10 percent in 1963."

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Spartan's Bridges probably didn't want to take a pay cut, so he stayed in East Lansing. Who did Elijah Johnson play for?

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-...g-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html

The documents tie some of the biggest names and programs in the sport to activity that appears to violate the NCAA’s amateurism rules. This could end up casting a pall over the NCAA tournament because of eligibility issues. (NCAA officials declined a request for comment.) There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools. The documents link some of the sport’s biggest current stars – Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Alabama’s Collin Sexton and Duke’s Wendell Carter – to specific potential extra benefits for either the athletes or their family members.

Last edited:

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Looks like there are more specific schools/players being named publicly now. Haven't seen us listed so good stuff so far. Surprise surprise Kansas and Texas are both named.
Where did you see Kansas named? The only Kansas player I saw on that ASM list was Elijah Johnson, who at the time of the list, was years past being a player at Kansas.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Spartan's Bridges probably didn't want to take a pay cut, so he stayed in East Lansing. Who did Elijah Johnson play for?

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-...g-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html

The documents tie some of the biggest names and programs in the sport to activity that appears to violate the NCAA’s amateurism rules. This could end up casting a pall over the NCAA tournament because of eligibility issues. (NCAA officials declined a request for comment.) There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools. The documents link some of the sport’s biggest current stars – Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Alabama’s Collin Sexton and Duke’s Wendell Carter – to specific potential extra benefits for either the athletes or their family members.
Elijah Johnson had been a pro for several years at this point and was playing in Greece. Schools that should be concerned are school where the players listed were still in school at the time of the "loan".

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We just have a really awesome forum like that.

I actually welcome opposing fans who make good faith and reasonable contributions.

The more perspective and insight, the merrier, to me.

Those are about as rare as unicorns. Not saying they aren't any, just haven't see them with my own two eyes.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Somewhat related...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/column-how-an-epidemic-of-grade-inflation-made-as-average

"Grade inflation — no, hyperinflation — is running rampant in American higher education. At Yale, where I have been both a student and an instructor, the average GPA has risen considerably over the past 50 years. And my alma mater is not unique.

A recent study revealed that 42 percent of four-year college grades are A’s, and 77 percent are either A’s or B’s. According to Inside Higher Ed, “At four-year schools, awarding of A’s has been going up five to six percentage points per decade and A’s are now three times more common than they were in 1960.” At Yale, 62 percent of grades were in the A range in the spring of 2012. That figure was only 10 percent in 1963."

I wish they would publish a conversion factor so I could upgrade my HS grades ('60's) and my ISU grades ('70's). I knew I was smarter than those grades showed!