*** Official Kansas Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Hard to win getting outscored 27-9 from 3 point range.

I'm getting more convinced that other teams prep for us by giving absolute green lights to their shooters knowing our guards are just too short to offer up much resistance,,and showing that to them on film.....and that simple edge lets our opponents go berserk from 3. I can't think of another big12 team that doesn't have enough guard length to at least block a shot or offer up a crazy punchers chance at a block....we can't.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
They can make 3s, we can't. That's game.

Did pretty much everything else as good or better.

More assists.
More rebounds.
Better total FG%
Better FT%
Less fouls

Just about the only thing was 3 point shooting. Neither team played great.
We should have more boards...they had 3 turnovers in the last 36 minutes. Only assists you can get going to Azubuike are on lobs.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Next year should be very, very good, but this year's growing pains are frustrating.

Getting it to 5, then, 4, then 3 there toward the end probably has a better chance of full comeback completion with seniors and consistency.

I think Saturday's honestly a step back and then maybe get a couple of wins to close out the regular season.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Gave up way too many drives to the hoop and layups. KU struggles with shooting at times but they can make layups with the best of them. That and we couldn't make any jump shots with their defense. They are well coached, that's the damn problem in this league, everyone is well coached.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Next year should be very, very good, but this year's growing pains are frustrating.

I look at who teams lose to draft/graduation...we're sitting much better than average.
I look at who teams bring back...we're top 3, very possibly best returning sophomore class.
Recruiting class...ranked 3rd by multiple sources but what year doesn't Texas squander a top 25 recruiting class? Every single year.
Transfers...doubt there will be many better than Shayok.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Getting it to 5, then, 4, then 3 there toward the end probably has a better chance of full comeback completion with seniors and consistency.

I think Saturday's honestly a step back and then maybe get a couple of wins to close out the regular season.

KU sneaking a 3 in there killed us. And ISU missing the last 5 3s they took.

• Agree
Reactions: othercy

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Gave up way too many drives to the hoop and layups. KU struggles with shooting at times but they can make layups with the best of them. That and we couldn't make any jump shots with their defense. They are well coached, that's the damn problem in this league, everyone is well coached.
KU has done that layup stuff to us for 15 years

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

There really are some coaches that seem pretty great at preparing their team and maxing their potential.

Outside of Self, Dixon and Beard definitely come to mind.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
That's one of the mysteries of the season for sure. CSP can't possibly be telling him to keep it up, can he?

He can't be. IT's the worst play in college basketball this year. It's fill in the blank. "Jackson drives, and ..__________ " A. It's Blocked. B. Stripped. C. Off his foot D. Thrown Away E. Bricked a shot with his right hand. F..All of the above.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I wonder how much, if any, of Creen's critique during the game would be of use to CSP in film study with the team?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He can't be. IT's the worst play in college basketball this year. It's fill in the blank. "Jackson drives, and ..__________ " A. It's Blocked. B. Stripped. C. Off his foot D. Thrown Away E. Bricked a shot with his right hand. F..All of the above.

Maybe it works so well in practice since it's been 5v4 at times this season? :)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
KBoos defense has been garbage all year , we made it look good.

So you don't think they were looking to improve out front on a young team after getting blitzed by Baylor Saturday with one of the elite coaches in the country?

ISU wasn't great on offense in general but I can't think of too many open looks for Wiggs or DJ.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I wonder how much, if any, of Creen's critique during the game would be of use to CSP in film study with the team?

I was actually impressed with his knowledge of how players shot the ball, with specifics to which foot they shot of off, etc.

He definitely seemed to know what KU was going to do on offense moreso than ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
You don't think KU had something to do with that? They were impressive on D out front.

Not disagreeing, but I don’t think they were abnormally good. Last year they would just switch a bunch as well, but that allowed us to get Svi isolated on Burton or Monte a lot, and he couldn’t guard them one on one. We can’t do that this year.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I was actually impressed with his knowledge of how players shot the ball, with specifics to which foot they shot of off, etc.

He definitely seemed to know what KU was going to do on offense moreso than ISU.
I was impressed too. He definitely did his homework. Crean is very good as an analyst.

• Agree
Reactions: Nihawk