*** Official Oklahoma Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The Oklahoma State game was even more winnable.

Ugh, I know, even one of those wins and I think we are in the bubble conversation right now. I think we beat Texas in Ames if we played again, they caught us at a bad time when guys were getting acclimated and the students were gone.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
It sucks we couldn't have closed out Texas at home or we might be legimatley on the bubble. As it stands now I think we would have to win the Big 12 tourney to get in.
'
Nah - They have wins over Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and West Virginia. Beat Kansas, TCU, and Oklahoma State and maybe one more - they're probably talked about as a bubble team at that point. Win a game or two in the Big 12 tournament, probably still a bubble team but probably would be in at that point. The only issue with ISU is that they didn't beat Texas or Oklahoma State when they should have - and you could even put Kansas in that category. If they had won even 2 of those games, they might be 6-6 in conference, and really who knows - maybe if they closed the games out right, it could have given them more confidence and won other games. We'll never know.

Other than Milwaukee, ISU does not have a bad loss this year. Beating Kansas on Tuesday would mean another top 25 win this year (probably still top 15 when Monday's rankings come out is my guess).

As of right now, ISU has 3 wins against the Top 25. Just look at how this fares against Lundari's bubble teams:

* NC State: 3 wins against Top 25
* Washington: 3 wins against Top 25
* SMU: 3 wins against Top 25
* UCLA: 2 wins against Top 25
* Nebraska: 2 wins against Top 25
* Houston: 1 win against Top 25
* Marquette: 1 win against Top 25
* Temple: 1 win against Top 25
* Western Kentucky: 1 win against Top 25
* Boise State: 0 wins against Top 25
* USC: 0 wins against Top 25
* St. Bonaventure: 0 wins against Top 25
* Syracuse: 0 wins against Top 25

Then you can look at other teams that might make it, not bubble:
TCU: 2 wins against Top 25
Arizona State: 2 wins against Top 25
Texas: 2 wins against Top 25

As of right now, ISU has more wins against the Top 25 than 13 of the above 16 teams, and the other 3 have the same number as ISU.

Not that I think ISU will make it, but I also don't buy into "they have to win the BIg 12 tournament to get in" talk. Beating Kansas and at least 2 more in the final 6, but probably 2 games in the Big 12 tournament would make them have a strong case considering the SOS.

I'm not counting on it, but it's not impossible at this point even without winning the B12 tournament. Lots of factors and they have to do their part and win at least the rest of the home games to have a shot. It would also depend on the selection committee IF they put themselves in that position. If the committee values the BIg 12 this year and more major conferences, then ISU has an even larger chance at that point. If not, then they'd probably not get in and someone like a Western Kentucky or SMU would get in instead.

Last edited:

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Best thing about Babb being out, Talley and Long are getting huge minutes and showing they belong in this conference. This sets up very well for depth next year.

SIAP, but Long has really been playing well off the bench lately besides not scoring a bunch of points. He had a big 3 in the first half today, had an assist or two, came up with some real key rebounds, and played some good defense on Young today when the refs weren't treating him as the Second Coming of Micheal Jordan.

He's developed into a nice utility player that does a lot of the important little things off the bench.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
And it started to show in the last 10 minutes.

ISU is probably never going to be in a position where we have 10 players good enough to score the ball well enough to fit our system.

Maybe someday if we hire a coach that runs a press or something, but with our system we're better off trying to find 7-8 guys that are better than the top 7-8 from the other team.

Most of the teams that go 10 deep are either:

1- Full of below average players
2- Run a press or defensive system that needs bodies to foul and play extremely tough D
3- A blue blood that signs 3-4 4* or better recruits year in and year out

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
SIAP, but Long has really been playing well off the bench lately besides not scoring a bunch of points. He had a big 3 in the first half today, had an assist or two, came up with some real key rebounds, and played some good defense on Young today when the refs weren't treating him as the Second Coming of Micheal Jordan.

He's developed into a nice utility player that does a lot of the important little things off the bench.

Agreed, he's really a solid bench contributor when he's in there. I would personally rather see him play instead of Beverly and Brase.

Would be nice to get Lewis a little more involved also so he can find his shot.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Just reading through this, but does anyone else feel like Oklahoma is less than the sum of its parts? They have a lot of great individual talent starting with Young, but they've developed throughout the season in way that is too dependent upon him and it makes the team inconsistent and one dimensional.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
ISU is probably never going to be in a position where we have 10 players good enough to score the ball well enough to fit our system.
That’s largely the point.
If you’re applying a quality standard, we could only go 5 players deep and it showed at the end of both halves, not to mention a lack of depth did greatly contribute to some of our losses. If we actually had 8, or even the right combo of 7, it would be fine.

Next year will likely have 8 guys at the level of our top-6 this year. Potentially 9 or 10 depending on Zion and a spring addition.