*** Official Oklahoma Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This was before my time, but for the lifers on here, does this season feel like what it was probably like back in the Johnny Orr days at times?

Great at home, but can't seem to put it together on the road?

Fun, uptempo, break-oriented style, but iffy on defense?

Lots of dunks and threes getting launched?

Fun but frustrating to watch at times given the lack of consistency?

Our expectations were to win at home and lose on the road. ISU was emerging from years of futility. It was fun as all get out. 3 pt line wasn't in effect in the early years too bad it wasn't because Barry Stevens could make it rain. Defense wasn't iffy it was usually just bad, and it didn't matter, people came to see lots of points and if we won it was even better.

We dreamed about the making the NCAA's but didn't get all bent out ofshape if we didn't.

Expectations weren't nearly as high, but we had lots of fun watching and cheering. The years of success and the ability of the internet to bring out the worst in people, seems to make people alot more critical.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
"what I know for sure is that speaking your truth is the most powerful tool we all have" - Oprah

I want to respect your truth

So, the answer is "No". You cannot refute or provide a counterpoint to anything I've written about in this thread.

Judging by the amount of dislikes you've gotten in this thread you might have some sort of personality disorder that enables you to thrive on negative attention.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Our expectations were to win at home and lose on the road. ISU was emerging from years of futility. It was fun as all get out. 3 pt line wasn't in effect in the early years too bad it wasn't because Barry Stevens could make it rain. Defense wasn't iffy it was usually just bad, and it didn't matter, people came to see lots of points and if we won it was even better.

We dreamed about the making the NCAA's but didn't get all bent out ofshape if we didn't.

Expectations weren't nearly as high, but we had lots of fun watching and cheering. The years of success and the ability of the internet to bring out the worst in people, seems to make people alot more critical.

There are only a handful of games I was at that I'll never forget and that win over Michigan in the NCAA here in Mpls is one of them. Johnny Ball was very fun at times.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Definitely happy with win, but the carelessness with the ball is going to make what little hair I have left fall out.

That's pretty much every college basketball team that doesn't start Monte Morris. I can barely watch sometimes, the college game in general.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Kool Aid drinking is back after every win.:) The same msgs after Tech win, WVU win,.......

I like Prohm, nice guy, just not great as some people claim he is.

Who do you want coaching in the current era of college basketball, at a place like Iowa State?

You have to remember that the guy who pretty much owned Ames didn't want to be there after 5 seasons, so your list isn't going to be very long unless you're making sh*t up.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
SIAP, but Long has really been playing well off the bench lately besides not scoring a bunch of points. He had a big 3 in the first half today, had an assist or two, came up with some real key rebounds, and played some good defense on Young today when the refs weren't treating him as the Second Coming of Micheal Jordan.

He's developed into a nice utility player that does a lot of the important little things off the bench.

J Long is the guy you throw out there to do guard whoever and if nothing else just bust their ass the entire time and he seems to buy into that role nicely. Every team needs one of those guys. I hope he sticks to a spot for next season since things may get a bit tighter.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Think we can win 3 more conference games yet to get into the NIT? Id love to see this young team get some extra games in.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
Who do you want coaching in the current era of college basketball, at a place like Iowa State?

You have to remember that the guy who pretty much owned Ames didn't want to be there after 5 seasons, so your list isn't going to be very long unless you're making sh*t up.

First of all, I want Prohm to stay.
Second, that is similar to the argument to keep Paul here, who else could we get?

andymhallman

Nov 28, 2012
Fairfield, Iowa
Wigginton hit a clutch three down the stretch, but in the moment I felt he was trying to do too much near the end of the game. I was surprised we weren’t trying harder to feed Lard in the post because he’s so efficient.

I’ve noticed in our home wins that the opponents have shot really poorly, especially from outside, and that was true again today with Oklahoma making less than a quarter of its threes (and Trae Young going 1-7 from there).

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
First of all, I want Prohm to stay.
Second, that is similar to the argument to keep Paul here, who else could we get?

A pseudo-successful guy from a mid-major who recruits well and believes in following a process for success and seems to really embrace small-town culture?

For the record, I'm not saying Prohm is Coach K. I think at times he's a bit late to figure out who fits best where like how NWB wasn't the PG to start since it was very clear how much better of a distributor he was, and for whatever reason, when his team looks bad, it can be downright ugly.

But to have a rebuilding year and still pull things together with an injury riddled team to beat 3 ranked teams, handily is pretty good. If next year or the next season are duds, he'll deserve blame. The best part is though that he'll step up and take it, which is something that I think should be highly valued.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Game replay.
EDIT. Video starts with ESPN's coverage at about the 16 minute mark.

Going into sport watching coma right now with Winter Olympics and skimming through this game.

Off hand observations:
This isn't the first time I've seen a game with the commentators talking about Young the whole time while his team is down by 10 a lot of the time and the other team has players going nuts.

The only better stiff arm I've seen beside Trae Young the last calendar year was from David Montgomery.

Early on Wiggs got that 'look' that he knew it was on for the afternoon...he was right.

The team work on some of these offensive possessions makes me wish that OSU and UT game had bounced better. If the other games held the same, 6-6 in conference would be awfully interesting.

Lard was a monster...great stuff. I'm not always huge with him yelling after every dunk, on the other hand if Lard's yelling a lot, things are going well so really shouldn't notice.

• Agree
Reactions: psyclone51

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Nice win, wiggy is damn good, just a solid TEAM win today. Keep fighting and have fun.
Sat by a nice young man from Oklahoma. Big Sooner fan. First time in Hilton . He just looking around, could not believe the crowd. Said it was an awesome experience. Really proud of Cyclone fans again yesterday. We are alone in last place folks - many fan bases would not show up.