*** Official Oklahoma Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This was before my time, but for the lifers on here, does this season feel like what it was probably like back in the Johnny Orr days at times?

Great at home, but can't seem to put it together on the road?

Fun, uptempo, break-oriented style, but iffy on defense?

Lots of dunks and threes getting launched?

Fun but frustrating to watch at times given the lack of consistency?

Good comparison. Pretty much the natural state for Johnny’s teams. Even with veterans.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
This was before my time, but for the lifers on here, does this season feel like what it was probably like back in the Johnny Orr days at times?

Great at home, but can't seem to put it together on the road?

Fun, uptempo, break-oriented style, but iffy on defense?

Lots of dunks and threes getting launched?

Fun but frustrating to watch at times given the lack of consistency?

I can't speak for everyone, but while the style may be familiar, the expectations are different. There wasn't a lot of heartburn in those days for being around .500 or missing the NCAA's. When we did make the dance, we were typically a below the line seed (lower than 9). He had some great individual players though.

I think the current Cyclones are on a lot more solid foundation than Johnny's guys were. We might be down this year, but won't stay down.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Kool Aid drinking is back after every win.:) The same msgs after Tech win, WVU win,.......

I like Prohm, nice guy, just not great as some people claim he is.

Hey Wesbot, you are not nearly smart enough nor enough of a con man to be able to p*ss on our legs and then convince us it's raining. You don't like Prohm (he's not Fred!), that's as clear as day to anyone who is smarter than a box of hair, so stop wasting everyone's time trying to state otherwise.

We've beaten three Top 20 teams this season; two of those wins by double digits and two of them with only 8 healthy players, but it's not enough for you because you are as ignorant and arrogant about basketball as you are about politics.

This is why no one likes you.

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
Hey Wesbot, you are not nearly smart enough nor enough of a con man to be able to p*ss on our legs and then convince us it's raining. You don't like Prohm (he's not Fred!), that's as clear as day to anyone who is smarter than a box of hair, so stop wasting everyone's time trying to state otherwise.

We've beaten three Top 20 teams this season; two of those wins by double digits and two of them with only 8 healthy players, but it's not enough for you because you are as ignorant and arrogant about basketball as you are about politics.

This is why no one likes you.
Thank you for sharing "YOUR TRUTH"

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
8-10 in the conference probably puts us on the wrong side of the bubble. That would be an incredible finish, but probably about a 1% chance of happening. Maybe less.

Not that I think we'll make the tournament, but there's pretty much no such thing as a bad loss in the BIg 12 outside of us in my opinion. The teams ahead of us at 5-7 in conference - Texas, Baylor, and Oklahoma State - all still could make the NCAA tournament. ISU's only truly bad loss this year was Milwaukee.

Missouri is currently 17-8 and will most likely make the tournament unless they crap themselves in the final month. Then as far as wins go, beating Texas Tech, West Virginia, and Oklahoma help. Also, beating Boise State by double digits who is currently 20-4 and projected now as a 12 seed doesn't hurt. Unfortunately the rest of the non conference was mediocre at best, so that doesn't help.

If the team wins all the remaining games at Hilton (3 more - Kansas, TCU, and Oklahoma State) and maybe beat somebody like Kansas State in Kansas to finish the year at either 16-14 or 17-13, and maybe win at least one game in the BIg 12 Tournament, then honestly don't be surprised if they're talked about as a bubble team (11 or 12 seed). Who knows if they would get in, but I think even with a losing Big 12 record, it's possible. Now, if ISU got hot and won their remaining 6 games somehow, then I think they'd be in the tournament. Not a good seed, but still in.

Personally, I think if they make the NIT with this team, it'll be a decent accomplishment. Getting into the big dance would be quite amazing, but they can't really have any off nights anymore if they want to do that. Finish the season 2-4 and they might still make the NIT given the strength of the Big 12 this year.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
8-10 in the conference probably puts us on the wrong side of the bubble. That would be an incredible finish, but probably about a 1% chance of happening. Maybe less.

8-10 in conference would probably be good enough for t5th in the Big 12. And the likely path in my view would mean we have wins over everyone in the conference except for Texas and K State. Plus anything we picked up in the B12 tourny.

I agree that's not very likely to happen, but I would be surprised if that was the wrong side if the bubble when you look at what that would mean resumee wise, we'd have 4 wins over the current top 25 (2 vs top 10).

May be a first 4 placement, but I think that'd be on the plus side of the bubble.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
8-10 in conference would probably be good enough for t5th in the Big 12. And the likely path in my view would mean we have wins over everyone in the conference except for Texas and K State. Plus anything we picked up in the B12 tourny.

I agree that's not very likely to happen, but I would be surprised if that was the wrong side if the bubble when you look at what that would mean resumee wise, we'd have 4 wins over the current top 25 (2 vs top 10).

May be a first 4 placement, but I think that'd be on the plus side of the bubble.

It sucks we couldn't have closed out Texas at home or we might be legimatley on the bubble. As it stands now I think we would have to win the Big 12 tourney to get in.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
First time I have watched Trey Young. I was underwhelmed. One of our players offered him a hand to get up off the floor. He refused. Punk attitude there.
I think he was looking towards the bench or refs but had his hand up just didn't connect.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Actually the shot clock did reset, but it appears to have reset as soon as the ball was loose from DJack and it was obvious that Oklahoma had stolen the ball. But technically the shot clock should have reset 2 seconds later when the OU player actually grabbed the ball.

Edit: system failure. I quoted and was replying to the poster who said the shot clock must not have reset before that 10 second call on OU. CF System failed to carry over the quote.

Last edited:

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
LOL - same. I've thought back to over the years and all the players I had a weird hate for and I realized it was usually the fault of media hype. There have barely been any players I've hated because of their personality, antics, etc.

The guy is good - no doubt - I think in the NBA he'll probably be productive within 3 years but has a lot to work on still. I'd call him "overrated" only in the sense of that people think he's Stephen Curry. He's still good though. I watched Curry from his Freshman year at Davidson - Young is a better passer and faster, but his shooting is not Curry-esque yet.
Marcus Smart?