Voices from Memphis: 2017 Bowl Edition

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
who are all you people that have never used Uber before? That is the strangest thing I have gotten from this thread.
yeah, we used it a bunch while we were there. It was great. We had a laugh with one of our drivers who pulled up in a F250 Super Duty. We were asking her how she made any money driving Uber in a vehicle like that.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
who are all you people that have never used Uber before? That is the strangest thing I have gotten from this thread.

Ha! I was getting a kick out of that too. Was in Des Moines a couple of weeks ago and used it from the airport, so I know you have it in Iowa!

I would recommend to those curious to give Lyft a try as well. Many of the drivers here do both and almost all prefer Lyft. Same type of service, often times a bit cheaper. The individual drivers for Uber are fine but the company itself is a disaster.

• Agree
Reactions: Lexclone

cyclone69

Feb 4, 2011
OK, I think I got you and the Murchison brothers in one of my shots. This picture was taken from our seats on the Cyclone side of the field and zoomed in and cropped. View attachment 52818
Nice work. That's us and them. My stocking hat made a little of their video. We turned around to talk when the game was over, didn't realize he was still recording, you can see the wife tell them that everyone survived with balls in tact in their last clip from the game.Lol She was not amused with them at all.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Nice work. That's us and them. My stocking hat made a little of their video. We turned around to talk when the game was over, didn't realize he was still recording, you can see the wife tell them that everyone survived with balls in tact in their last clip from the game.Lol She was not amused with them at all.

I couldn't handle more than a minute or so of the video, but I went back to find your wife's comments. They were surely the most clever thing in the whole video.

Go to about 8:40 on the video.

Reactions: aauummm

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Driving Down: I was amazed at the Volume of Cyclones heading south. Every single stop was full of cyclones. Not, hey, there is a guy with a cyclone hat at the gas station. It was like 75-80% of people at every gas station were rocking ISU gear....awesome.

Thur Night: Our group was planning to meeting at the Crawfish Haven for supper. Turns out the place is basically a "Crawfish Stand". You can order inside a small building, but there is no seating, except for 2 picnic tables outside. So, we went to Corkey's BBQ. Decent Ribs, Dry rub is better than Wet sauce.

Fri Lunch: We sneaked out of the pre-rally early, so we could get to Central BBQ before the crowd. We were wrong. There were already about 100 people in line at Central BBQ.
We decided to try somewhere else, and about 4 blocks away, we saw Pearl's Oyster House....let give it a try.
No super busy, but full of Cyclones.
Wifey and I just decide to grab a seat at the Bar. A local offered us a seat by him.
We have a few beers with him, and he offers to buys us some Char-grilled Oysters to try.
The Oysters were absolutely amazing!
Turns out that the "Local" that is chatting/drinking with us for about 2 hours, is the Owner of the place.
Great Guy, we discussed everything from the Oyster business, to ISU, to the history of the place, how he bought it...

Owner has to leave, and a new local takes his place at the Bar.
He is amazed at the Volume that ISU has brought down.
He said that Memphis Loves ISU, an off the beat resturaunt that might have 2-3 people in it on Friday....currently has 100+ ISU fans eating/drinking/ and spending Money in Memphis.
Turns out He works at a speakeasy/bar up the road. He give us the "password" of the day,(he had to look it up on his phone- to avoid paying cover.
"Tell'em "Napping Nate" sent ya....."

Friday Afternoon at Silky's
The 3 Bartender in the outside Bar are running around like crazy.
A clueless "manager" walks out and nicely asks if he can get anything for them (I think he assume he could grab a 6pack of rolling rock to get them through the night).
The Bartender quickly snipes back, "Listen, we are out of Coor Light, We are out of Busch Lite, We are out of Bud Light, We are out of Miller Lite, and these 3 kegs are blown, AND we NEED another Bartender.....wowsers...

Sat at Game:
In the bathroom (clearly full of ISU fans), Memphis Fans walks through snidely saying Power 5 is Weak, Power 5 is Weak, Power 5 is so weak. Not funny-haha.....he was dead serious.

After the Game, same bathroom, as Memphis Fan is finishing up, he loudly announced. "Well congratulations Iowa State", to which numerous ISU fans nicely responding with (thanks man, Memphis is a pretty solid team, Memphis had a great year, Nice Stadium, best of luck in Hoops, etc). Then as that Memphis fan is walking out the Door he says: "Well congratulation Iowa State.....on beating a real mediocre team........

Sat PM- Went to Commissary BBQ, way out east (seemed like about 20 miles).
Trying to get away from the ISU Crowd.
Place is packed to the gills with ISU fans.
They didn't have enough waitstaff. It seemed like nearly half the tables were empty, just not enough waiters to seat all the tables.
1+ hour wait to be seated.
We just ordered Ribs to-go, and ate at the Hotel Lobby. Commissary Ribs are MONEY!

We went there on Thursday night. Placed was filled with ISU Fans. We even started the Cyclone Power chant. My son said if he had three thumbs he would have given it three thumbs up. My favorite place for ribs in Memphis.

Reactions: NWICY

u_of_elvis

Dec 4, 2017
No, I heard they top out at 30 something for their best attended games so a sellout is definitely a rare occurrence.

We had four home games over 40k this year, with 46k for the UCLA game. We are reporting butts in seats vs tickets sold since the city reports attendance this year. We have about 22k season tickets sold.

For SEC games attendance normally breaks 50k, and we will sometimes break 50k for conference home games (Navy 2015 is one I remember off of the top of my head.)

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
Beavis, your balls are filthy. Take them to the ball washer immediately.”-Butthead

heh-heh-you-said-balls.jpg

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
yeah, we used it a bunch while we were there. It was great. We had a laugh with one of our drivers who pulled up in a F250 Super Duty. We were asking her how she made any money driving Uber in a vehicle like that.
When leaving the game there were some ISU students that couldn't connect to Uber after the game. I ended up driving them back to their hotel.

On To Victory

Jan 4, 2018
Greetings, and Happy New Year! I am a Memphis Tiger fan. I want to congratulate you on your team and fans! I sat next to several ISU fans and they were incredibly kind and fun. They were all complimentary of our city and team, as we discussed what all they had been up to on their visit.

I don’t know anyone who had a negative experience with ISU fans. I have to say that you guys are by far the classiest and nicest fans I’ve ever met. Your team was exciting to watch, and I love those helmets! LOL

I wish the game had gone the other way, but I had such a good time. You deserved the win. I hope we meet again someday!

Regarding our stadium, if only you had seen it a decade ago. It was in bad shape. Much has been invested in it over the last few years, and there’s much more renovation to come. Not only to the stadium itself, but to the surrounding area.
I hope, if you get the chance, that you’ll come back and see us! Memphis certainly has problems, like any city has, but we are in the midst of a renaissance, with big plans.

Your song, Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline, was recorded in Memphis at American Sound Studios. You will always have a connection to Memphis!

Again, congratulations on your wonderful season, and Liberty Bowl championship!
GO TIGERS!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Greetings, and Happy New Year! I am a Memphis Tiger fan. I want to congratulate you on your team and fans! I sat next to several ISU fans and they were incredibly kind and fun. They were all complimentary of our city and team, as we discussed what all they had been up to on their visit.

I don’t know anyone who had a negative experience with ISU fans. I have to say that you guys are by far the classiest and nicest fans I’ve ever met. Your team was exciting to watch, and I love those helmets! LOL

I wish the game had gone the other way, but I had such a good time. You deserved the win. I hope we meet again someday!

Regarding our stadium, if only you had seen it a decade ago. It was in bad shape. Much has been invested in it over the last few years, and there’s much more renovation to come. Not only to the stadium itself, but to the surrounding area.
I hope, if you get the chance, that you’ll come back and see us! Memphis certainly has problems, like any city has, but we are in the midst of a renaissance, with big plans.

Your song, Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline, was recorded in Memphis at American Sound Studios. You will always have a connection to Memphis!

Again, congratulations on your wonderful season, and Liberty Bowl championship!
GO TIGERS!

This guy may have lost all the goodwill he built up by being so nice and friendly by referring to Sweet Caroline as "your song." Let's just say that song is a topic of debate.

Actually that leads me to a "voice from the stands." I had a Memphis fan ask me why the band kept playing Sweet Caroline. I mumbled something about the third quarter, tradition, yada yada. He followed with "Isn't that the Red Sox thing?". All I could do was hang my head in shame.

Last edited:

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This guy may have lost all the goodwill he built up by being so nice and friendly be referring to Sweet Caroline as "your song." Let's just say that song is a topic of debate.

Actually that leads me to a "voice from the stands." I had a Memphis fan ask me why the band kept playing Sweet Caroline. I mumbled something about the third quarter, tradition, yada. He followed with "Isn't that the Red Sox thing?". All I could do was hang my head in shame.

Yeah, I was thinking it's a good thing some fans didn't know about that little "Sweet Caroline" snippet while they were in Memphis. It would have been a bad look for us to burn that place to the ground.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I had no idea it was a sore subject! Don’t worry about burning down the studio... long gone.

Sweet Caroline is only a sore subject to some of us, me included. As you could tell when it was played during the game, the majority of our fans really like it. The least we could do is customize it, such as use "I-S-U" instead of "bum-bum-bum." Glad they didn't play it after the third quarter. That would have cursed us.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
One big difference I noticed is that Memphis fans left out chairs, grills, coolers(yeti’s even), etc tailgating items. That **** would be gone in Ames. Good for them, bad on us. Asked a few fans and they didn’t think twice about leaving stuff out like that.

You serious?

The Memphis guys we ended up tailgating with in tiger Lane said they lock up anything that isn't tied down, every game. We even saw a kid on a bike getting questioned by cops for snooping around vehicles before the game.

UofMemphis

Dec 5, 2017
We had four home games over 40k this year, with 46k for the UCLA game. We are reporting butts in seats vs tickets sold since the city reports attendance this year. We have about 22k season tickets sold.

For SEC games attendance normally breaks 50k, and we will sometimes break 50k for conference home games (Navy 2015 is one I remember off of the top of my head.)

yeah, I don't know where ISU fans are getting their numbers from...

Memphis 2017 attendance:

Game 1) La-Monroe: 10,263 (played in hurricane harvey)
Game 2) UCLA: 46,291
Game 3) Southern Illinois: 41,584
Game 4) Navy: 40,117
Game 5) SMU: 35,329
Game 6) ECU: 41,517

Memphis had one game played in a rain storm skew our numbers.

I mean, we had 41k for a FCS team in SEMO (see crowd shot)
Memphis-Tigers-Full-Stadium.jpg

UofMemphis

Dec 5, 2017
You serious?

The Memphis guys we ended up tailgating with in tiger Lane said they lock up anything that isn't tied down, every game. We even saw a kid on a bike getting questioned by cops for snooping around vehicles before the game.

exactly...there are cops and armed security everywhere. There is no reason to lock up your stuff on Tiger Lane.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Tailg8er and NWICY

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I was speaking of the rv lot. Saw several tailgate areas left out during the game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron