Voices from Memphis: 2017 Bowl Edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I had no idea it was a sore subject! Don’t worry about burning down the studio... long gone.

In FB it is a 3rd qtr song that some people dislike. It is only played after major wins in Hilton( our BB facility) I believe that is how most fans would like it used played after big wins in either sport. It gets played after major FB wins also, but when the PA guy plays it during the 3rd. some people believe it is a jinx.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Was there any consensus on best BBQ place in Memphis on our Liberty Bowl trips? I have a very random work trip around East Memphis coming up, probably not a lot of time to go to Beale St.

There's a Central BBQ and Collierville Commissary BBQ not too far from where I'm at.

Anybody remember a good pizza place? I kind of like to try the best pizza in any city.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Rendevous for ribs . Also gotta try Gibson doughnuts. Commissary is my go to though for BBQ. They get their ribs from Iowa. Gus's fried chicken was great to!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Rendevous for ribs . Also gotta try Gibson doughnuts. Commissary is my go to though for BBQ. They get their ribs from Iowa. Gus's fried chicken was great to!

Thanks!

I'll be near Gibson donuts, I will try for sure. I was on fence of Commissary vs Central for my bbq but sounds like several here liked Commissary and a couple thought Central wasn't that big of a deal.

They actually opened a Gus's near where I live in CA, it is pretty good I agree.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Was there any consensus on best BBQ place in Memphis on our Liberty Bowl trips? I have a very random work trip around East Memphis coming up, probably not a lot of time to go to Beale St.

There's a Central BBQ and Collierville Commissary BBQ not too far from where I'm at.

Anybody remember a good pizza place? I kind of like to try the best pizza in any city.
When will you be out there? I have a conference in the same area mid-April.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

I thought Rendevous was overrated.
If you do go remember the entrance is in an alley not off the main road so some guy will be waving you to come down an alley. It's not a scam to get rolled

1677185635084.png

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Cycsk and HFCS

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

We ate at Aldo's pizza downtown one night and it was great. There was a big glass window where you could see them making dough. Very fresh and good.
Beer list was solid too.

Reactions: HFCS

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

I used to go there every year for a week for work.

Rendevous is good but not the best.

Commisary is my favorite. Central is real good too. Both feel like a dump, but the food is excellent.

Corkys gets looked on like walmart kind of (cause its bigger, more chain feeling) but its actually really good too.

If you do have time to hit Beale St, go to BB Kings. I know its touristy and cliche, but you will hear the best live music in your life. We went there every year and it was always just amazing. Food is average, booze is expensive, but the music is phenomenal.

The locals love Gus'. There's a burger joint called Huey's that is also pretty good.

Have fun! But be aware of your surroundings...

Reactions: HFCS

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
The Germantown Commisary was really good. Plus the entire place was packed with Cardinal and Gold.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Near the stadium, we went to a place called Soul Fish Cafe. Kind of a hole-in-the-wall type place, but not dirty. True southern food. Looks like they have four locations now in the Memphis area.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Near the stadium, we went to a place called Soul Fish Cafe. Kind of a hole-in-the-wall type place, but not dirty. True southern food. Looks like they have four locations now in the Memphis area.

I went there too! It was great and that area was kinda neat!

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016

There is a good bbq place in west Memphis just off the hwy. Don't be afraid to go in because it's a ramshackle old building with no windows and bars on the door. Those are the best places.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I used to go there every year for a week for work.

Rendevous is good but not the best.

Commisary is my favorite. Central is real good too. Both feel like a dump, but the food is excellent.

Corkys gets looked on like walmart kind of (cause its bigger, more chain feeling) but its actually really good too.

If you do have time to hit Beale St, go to Jerry The King Lawler's. I know its touristy and cliche, but you will hear the best live music in your life. We went there every year and it was always just amazing. Food is average, booze is expensive, but the music is phenomenal.

The locals love Gus'. There's a burger joint called Huey's that is also pretty good.

Have fun! But be aware of your surroundings...

FIFY. If you go to Beale Street, go to Jerry The King Lawler's and say hi from his buddy C-Dubs.

• Haha
Reactions: wxman1