Hoiberg on Recruiting

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Basically sums up what we already knew:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fred Hoiberg: I hated recruiting. I absolutely &quot;f&#39;ing&quot; hated recruiting. In the NBA it is just coaching. No other stuff. Just coaching.</p>&mdash; Keith Smith (@KeithSmithNBA) <a href="">July 10, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Sounds like Fred may be extra motivated for games against Milwaukee.

847010-300x300.png

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Great reverse psychology to lobby for the Duke job once Coach K retires or the KU job once Self decides to go to the NBA (and cash out hardcore like Fred in Chicago).

Reactions: cycloneML

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I would hate recruiting too. How weird is it that the norm in college recruiting is constant texting back and forth from a 45 year old dude to a 16 year old kid? It just never stops and I don't think I would like it either. Dealing with NBA egos wouldn't be fun either, so there is no silver bullet, but I can see where college recruiting would not allow anyone to have some private free time with out constantly worrying whether or not they need to text a kid to say he played a great game in some irrelevant AAU tournament on a weekend, etc.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I would hate recruiting too. How weird is it that the norm in college recruiting is constant texting back and forth from a 45 year old dude to a 16 year old kid? It just never stops and I don't think I would like it either. Dealing with NBA egos wouldn't be fun either, so there is no silver bullet, but I can see where college recruiting would not allow anyone to have some private free time with out constantly worrying whether or not they need to text a kid to say he played a great game in some irrelevant AAU tournament on a weekend, etc.

I agree. I couldn't do it. Your post reminds me of the recruit that leaked texts he received from the old OSU coach Travis Ford. They were creepy and included lots of exclamation points after every sentence and stuff like 'we need you!!' 'you and I will be great together!!! we will have a special relationship!!!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Am I the only one who thought Fred really enjoyed recruiting?
vauEUgn.gif

Let's go hard-core Fred Hoiberg retrospect here: IIRC, during one his NCAA tourney seasons that yielded no non-conference losses or bad losses and amazing, blinding speed basketball every single game, I'm pretty sure he started each press conference with a rant about how much he loved recruiting.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I get where he is coming from for sure, but I think Fred's current reality shows how it isn't perfect on either side. Sure, the recruiting aspect of things in the college game is time-consuming, frustrating, and constantly ongoing. All those things suck, but at the same time, recruiting also allows every coach out there to somewhat have full authority to build the team he wants with the players that fit the way he wants to play. Now, on the other side with the NBA. Sure, you get to mostly just coach and focus most your time and effort on just that. However, what you don't get is full authority on the building and making of your team, management and salaries do. I also truly believe that pitfall is the main reasoning behind Fred's current demise in Chicago. So great Fred, you get to purely focus on coaching in the pros. I'm happy for you. However, that reasoning is also what will likely lose you your job. So in conclusion, yes, recruiting sucks in the college game in all way, shapes, and forms, but at least it somewhat lets you be the maker of your own destiny. Well, at least more so than you do in the pros. In the pros, you better choose the situation you are getting yourself into VERY wisely, otherwise you'll find yourself "just coaching" your way into unemployment.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I get where he is coming from for sure, but I think Fred's current reality shows how it isn't perfect on either side. Sure, the recruiting aspect of things in the college game is time-consuming, frustrating, and constantly ongoing. All those things suck, but at the same time, recruiting also allows every coach out there to somewhat have full authority to build the team he wants with the players that fit the way he wants to play. Now, on the other side with the NBA. Sure, you get to mostly just coach and focus most your time and effort on just that. However, what you don't get is full authority on the building and making of your team, management and salaries do. I also truly believe that pitfall is the main reasoning behind Fred's current demise in Chicago. So great Fred, you get to purely focus on coaching in the pros. I'm happy for you. However, that reasoning is also what will likely lose you your job. So in conclusion, yes, recruiting sucks in the college game in all way, shapes, and forms, but at least it somewhat lets you be the maker of your own destiny. Well, at least more so than you do in the pros. In the pros, you better choose the situation you are getting yourself into VERY wisely.
Yeah, with the Bulls you get to "coach" that terrible mis-matched mishmash of players that GarPax provides for you every year, some of whom undermine you in the press. Not to say that I wouldn't do it for $5 mil a year ...

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
If I am being honest and not to blame it on one thing. I think the Vaughn thing put him over the edge. I know they really thought he was going to be a Cyclone. Then everything and everyone else go involved and made it a huge mess. I think that is when Fred finally said that is it. I am going to the NBA. Don't want to deal with this crap anymore.