Hoiberg on Recruiting

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
There are major parts to both college and pro coaching that suck.

If he can't handle recruiting then I almost guarantee dealing with the media in Chicago and an inept management team building his roster will be his undoing in Chicago.

They can put whatever roster they want together but unless someone dismantles the Warriors or the Cavs he's not winning a title. An no title = no job in Chitown.

One thing ISU has proved is that you can recruit the non 5* players and elite "AAU pay me to play" superstars and have success. There are plenty of players available, you just gotta be able to weed out the RV types and not let it get under your skin. You can do that in college, what you can't do in the pros is remove the media and ownership. <- Big difference. * That's my too little too late sales pitch to have kept Fred here.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
There are major parts to both college and pro coaching that suck.

If he can't handle recruiting then I almost guarantee dealing with the media in Chicago and an inept management team building his roster will be his undoing in Chicago.

They can put whatever roster they want together but unless someone dismantles the Warriors or the Cavs he's not winning a title. An no title = no job in Chitown.

One thing ISU has proved is that you can recruit the non 5* players and elite "AAU pay me to play" superstars and have success. There are plenty of players available, you just gotta be able to weed out the RV types and not let it get under your skin. You can do that in college, what you can't do in the pros is remove the media and ownership. <- Big difference. * That's my too little too late sales pitch to have kept Fred here.

Those things aren't mutually exclusive.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think he's trading one headache for another in choosing to deal with NBA egos, but whatever. I'm just grateful he could stomach recruiting enough to bring in the players he did during his time in Ames.

You're assuming NBA egos are a whole lot different than college egos.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
You're assuming NBA egos are a whole lot different than college egos.

You think millions in the bank won't change a guy's ego? Even for guys who already think they're God's gift to basketball, all that money does is amplify that attitude. And it's exacerbated by the fact that a lot of players make more than the coach.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I don't see how hating recruiting has anything to do with your ability to deal with media or ownership.

Because you're dealing with people who feel a sense of entitlement.

Chitown media and fans expect Phil Jackson'esque championships every year.

RV felt he deserved a college that would bow down to his every demand. <- Entitlement

• Disagree

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
You think millions in the bank won't change a guy's ego? Even for guys who already think they're God's gift to basketball, all that money does is amplify that attitude. And it's exacerbated by the fact that a lot of players make more than the coach.

Agree with this and say it does show why if you hate college recruiting then dealing w Free Agency, money, crappy owners and now egos that are inflated by $$$ would suck. If you can't hack recruiting a 5* RV away from UNLV then dealing with pros has to be a challenge too.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Because you're dealing with people who feel a sense of entitlement.

Chitown media and fans expect Phil Jackson'esque championships every year.

RV felt he deserved a college that would bow down to his every demand. <- Entitlement

I'm not seeing the connection at all. With recruiting you're constantly texting and calling HS kids and traveling all over to see them. Fred isn't having to deal with fans really at all and the media is practically nothing compared to recruiting. You can be great at dealing with the media and hate recruiting, they don't go hand in hand

• Winner

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I would hate recruiting too. How weird is it that the norm in college recruiting is constant texting back and forth from a 45 year old dude to a 16 year old kid? It just never stops and I don't think I would like it either. Dealing with NBA egos wouldn't be fun either, so there is no silver bullet, but I can see where college recruiting would not allow anyone to have some private free time with out constantly worrying whether or not they need to text a kid to say he played a great game in some irrelevant AAU tournament on a weekend, etc.

But so many of these coaches LOVE recruiting and forging relationships with these kids through the years. TJ seems like a great example - I think he sincerely loves meeting these kids and developing the relationships regardless of where a kid ultimately signs.

Ultimately it's a relationship thing - some of us are wired for it and so many more aren't.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I'm not seeing the connection at all. With recruiting you're constantly texting and calling HS kids and traveling all over to see them. Fred isn't having to deal with fans really at all and the media is practically nothing compared to recruiting. You can be great at dealing with the media and hate recruiting, they don't go hand in hand

Some things are different but you still have to recruit at the pro level.

• Disagree

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Didn't he go to the pros because it is a step up from the college game. While not a fan of the pros it is more money more prestige and so forth. He's just moving up the career ladder. IMO. Yeah and he doesn't have to recruit.

Agree with you. I think most of us are reading far too much into his comments. He had some well-publicized career goals involving the NBA so whether college recruiting was THE reason or merely on a list of reasons, his career goals of NBA stuff was known.

I'll never fault a guy for being interested in his own career progression and the safety/security of his family. Every one posting on this board loves ISU but very, very few of us work there. Fred loves ISU and no longer works there. I think it's that simple.

Reactions: isu83

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Also Bulls fans? How many of you doubted Fred. your team sucked and he got them to the playoffs . Shut your mouth sit back and enjoy . If he is able to create his own team you are in for a treat

Being the 8th best team in the East last year isn't exactly what I would call a huge accomplishment. Also considering a lot of the core people from a 3 seed just 2 years before were still there (DRose for DWade swap obviously). Not to mention missing the playoffs with the exact same 3 seed roster the year before.

As much as we are all pulling for Fred I don't see any way he survives after this year. They were a .500 team in a really bad eastern conference that looked horrible during stretches that just got substantially worse for next year.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cynonymous

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I guess maybe. However, you're telling me Jameel McKay and his ego weren't an issue? Dejean-Jones? I loved watching them play and honestly the egos don't bother me, because they exist everywhere, but going from a top 5% ego in the country to a top 1% ego in the country is probably pretty insignificant.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I guess maybe. However, you're telling me Jameel McKay and his ego weren't an issue? Dejean-Jones? I loved watching them play and honestly the egos don't bother me, because they exist everywhere, but going from a top 5% ego in the country to a top 1% ego in the country is probably pretty insignificant.
Top 5% to top 1% doesn't seem like much, but I would love it if my income went from top 5% to top 1%.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
But so many of these coaches LOVE recruiting and forging relationships with these kids through the years. TJ seems like a great example - I think he sincerely loves meeting these kids and developing the relationships regardless of where a kid ultimately signs.

Ultimately it's a relationship thing - some of us are wired for it and so many more aren't.

You may be right - 5% of the people out there might actually enjoy it. I just think Fred is one of the 95% out there that thinks modern-day recruiting is over the top, never-ending, and down-right weird.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I don't see how hating recruiting has anything to do with your ability to deal with media or ownership.

The two may not be related, but there's no question he traded a positive (loved in Ames by fans and media) to remove himself from a negative (didn't like dealing with recruiting). We'll see if the heat in Chicago also becomes something Fred can't stand.