Friday OT #3 - Showing Your Age Card

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We've got a big music week of Friday OTs this week because we had some awesome suggestions (thanks for PMing me, guys! @cyclones500 had this one:

What is the earliest NEW song or songs you clearly remember hearing on the radio? Roughly what year and how old were you at the time?

This one will pretty well age you! :)

I remember hearing "Mr. Roboto" by Styx when I was little-little, like below five years old. Same with "The Warrior" by Patty Smyth. I liked them both because they were both funny and had funny sounds or a gimmick in them, which was entertaining to a preschooler.

• Friendly
Reactions: pulse and harimad

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Not sure if this is the earliest, but its the first example that popped in my head:

Blink 182 - What's My Age Again - 1999

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The only radio we had in the house was in my dad's alarm clock in his bedroom. As the oldest of three children, I got his old alarm clock when he upgraded and the songs that I remember was Mr. Big "To Be With You" & Bryan Adam's "Everything I Do I Do It For You" - they played those songs all the time. That Bryan Adam's song was on all summer because of the marketing campaign for Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

Both songs came out 1991 so I would have just turned 7.

Reactions: Angie

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Probably "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash. Maybe 1963? I know it was before kindergarten.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Waterfalls by TLC I remember things earlier than that. I just vividly remember that song being on the radio.

The Macarena is a close second

Reactions: harimad

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I remember watching MTV with a friend and we saw Eminem come on with "My Name Is"

We thought who is this clown, he'll never last..

• Funny

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
My mom was always listening to the oldies station so I'm gonna put a slight twist on this. I was just talking about this the other day actually. There are two music videos from my childhood that stand out more than others from that era.
Tom Petty- You don't know how it feels.
(I don't have tickets so if you have an extra let me know!)
Foo Fighters- Big Me
It was a mentos commercial spoof.
I was born in 88

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Waterfalls by TLC I remember things earlier than that. I just vividly remember that song being on the radio.
tumblr_mwleudV7Io1qlvq41o4_250.gif

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Garth Brooks - Low Places.

I grew up in Oklahoma, and not far from his hometown. They pumped the airwaves full of his ****.

• Funny

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
It has been waaaaay too long. I had two older sisters, so I was hearing their music first. I remember the girl groups, the surfer craze, doo wop & the British invasion. At this stage of the game, I don't know which made the first impression because I've been listening to them for around 60 years. :oops:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Not on the radio but when our town cable company added MTV back in the late 80's the first video I saw was "Touch of Grey" by the Grateful Dead. Anytime that song pops on the radio it flashes me back to how awesome MTV was back in the day and how big of a deal it was when it was added to our cable package.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Not even kidding. Or Tears for Fears.

I straight-up loved Rick Astley when I was in grade school. I was semi-sad when the Rick Roll came around, because it sort of killed something sacred - a very, very skinny lily-skinned ginger with the voice of Barry White.

Reactions: SCyclone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My sisters would listen to Casey Kasem and record the songs with their tape deck. Their mix tapes always had cuts of DJ commentary around each song.

For that reason, I remember Rick Springfield's "Jessie's Girl" and Juice Newton's "Queen of Hearts".

It wasn't new, but when my brother came home from college, he introduced me to Boston, Zeppelin and AC/DC. The guitar riff from More Than a Feeling will always have a special place in my heart.

Last edited:

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Aqua - Barbie Girl, Chumbawumba - Tubthumbing, TLC - Waterfalls, Skee-Lo, All 4 One - I wish.

Almost all terrible songs. Hope the music I actually listened to at a younger age was older than this.

Help Support Us

Become a patron