Friday OT #3 - Showing Your Age Card

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Took a trip to Adventurland back in the day and heard this song on the way. Everytime I hear it to this day, I think of Adventurland. No idea age, but Im guessing mid to late 80's and I was prob under 5.

Reactions: Angie

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Not on the radio but when our town cable company added MTV back in the late 80's the first video I saw was "Touch of Grey" by the Grateful Dead. Anytime that song pops on the radio it flashes me back to how awesome MTV was back in the day and how big of a deal it was when it was added to our cable package.

The skeletons playing the instruments left a lasting image in your mind. It's probably my favorite Dead song. It's funny how some videos really stick out from early MTV days.

Aha's "Take on Me" - the comic book concept was just awesome and made people like this song way more than if they had never made the video

Tom Petty's "Don't Come Around Here No More" - Alice in Wonderland with Alice as a cake getting cut apart

Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" - stop/motion and just trippy as ****

GNR's "Welcome to the Jungle" - Axl Rose strapped to a chair shaking back and forth

Robert Palmer's "Simply Irresistible" - simple concept of similar looking girls swaying back and forth pretending to play an instrument

Micheal Jackson's "Thriller" - first real mini-movie

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The skeletons playing the instruments left a lasting image in your mind. It's probably my favorite Dead song. It's funny how some videos really stick out from early MTV days.

Aha's "Take on Me" - the comic book concept was just awesome and made people like this song way more than if they had never made the video

Tom Petty's "Don't Come Around Here No More" - Alice in Wonderland with Alice as a cake getting cut apart

GNR's "Welcome to the Jungle" - Axl Rose strapped to a chair shaking back and forth

Robert Palmer's "Simply Irresistible" - simple concept of similar looking girls swaying back and forth pretending to play an instrument

Those were all great music videos and if I hear those songs I still visualize the video.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

There was a time when MTV was good, and culturually interesting.

I like to think this was the last little bit of that.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I played a 45 single of "Puttin on the Ritz" to death before I ever went to school. My older cousins still laugh about watching me spin that record as a tiny kid.

Reactions: cyclones500

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Feels So Good, Chuck Magione.

My earliest memories are of being in the back seat of the car in Salt Lake City while mom drove me to whatever daycare I went to back then. This song was on the radio all the time.

Edit: 1977. Four years old.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I don't recall listing to much radio when I was a kid. My parents listened to their older stations or talk radio. I grew up with MTV, so new music for me was watching the video first over the radio. The earliest I can recall were the songs from Thriller: Billie Jean/Beat It/Thriller were probably my earliest memories of being exposed to new music.

Reactions: Angie

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
These three stand out. All from 1978 when I was 9, so that must have been when I first was truly 'hearing' what was on the radio.

"Sleeping Single In A Double Bed" - Barbara Mandrell (still my favorite song of all-time)
"Renegade" - Styx
"Why Have You Left The One You Left Me For" - Crystal Gayle

Yes, I realize one of these is not like the others... o_O

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The first pop song I remember hearing on the radio (and we heard it a lot) was "Venus" by Shocking Blue. And that could into the one-hit wonder thread, too!

I have the 45. :rolleyes:

Dammit, now that song is likely to be stuck in my head the rest of the day. "Dude, was that old guy on the bike singing Venus? Weird."

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I don't actually remember this but it was a story drilled into me via family recounts so it's like an implanted memory, as a mini-toddler my favorite song was How Much is that Doggy in the Window by Patti Paige.

I do remember hearing Ricky Nelson sing Traveling Man after the Ozzie and Harriet show one night. That's the only one I can pin point down to a time and place for sure.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Those were all great music videos and if I hear those songs I still visualize the video.
You younger folks have MTV video memories. For me it was TV music variety shows with live performances - American Bandstand, Shindig, Hullabaloo & Where the Action Is...later, Solid Gold & Soul Train (amazing dancing).

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy