Ray Kasongo transferring

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
That could be.

Does anyone know who is in that category?
Withdrawal deadline is May 24, so hopefully we'll hear more names before the end of May.
There are quite a few names on the list. Anyone up to the task of searching for connections we might have to any of these names?
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/03/2017-nba-draft-early-entrants-list.html
Alstork has been mentioned in the past but it seems like we're not high on his list (unless he's keeping it quiet for some reason).

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
Didn't I read on here earlier that he was not a good teammate - did not get along well with others? Or is it just not that good of a player? Hell, if he keeps transferring & sitting out he will have a PhD but still no meaningful minutes

ChickenNuggetMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
Didn't I read on here earlier that he was not a good teammate - did not get along well with others? Or is it just not that good of a player? Hell, if he keeps transferring & sitting out he will have a PhD but still no meaningful minutes

Yeah, it's pretty well known that Alstork is a terrible teammate. The staff withdrew from him, not vice-versa.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I would take the heck out of Jacobson.

View attachment 47830

Pretty much the same player as Morrow and I have a soft spot for Iowans.

Does not score a ton, but he fights on the boards and blocks some shots.

View attachment 47831

Looks a lot like Solomon Young did last year (though not as efficient on offense, which you would expect with Solo's role, but a bulldog on the boards in comparison)...

View attachment 47832

Solo was a freshman and Jacobson a sophomore, yeah, but this would put them in the same class and give Jacobson a year to practice and improve. We could do worse.

6'8" and 220 on a sit-one and play-two

Sign me up.

I'd liken him to a little Jared Homan. Or a less spastic, more skilled Baer.

• Funny
Reactions: CycloneBBFan

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Nice job on the RK story by Travis and the Trib. Waiting to see what he'll have on the two roster spots remaining.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
As somebody who does not know much about Nebraska basketball and is only judging things based on looking over the stat lines of the two here...

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/nebraska/2017.html

Can anybody tell me why Morrow is regarded better than Jacobson?

Jacobson is a little bigger. Morrow scores at a higher volume, but they are about equal on scoring efficiency. Neither of them seems to have an outside shot. If Morrow chose Marquette because he wants to play the 3, well, he better be putting some shots up.

Both of them track more towards that "brawling post" role of Hogue's junior year.

Both progressed about the same amount from Year 1 to Year 2. Both are sit one, play two.

Jacobson is a better rebounder, Morrow blocks more shots and generates more steals, but he also turns the ball over more and has a lower assist rate. I would assume that means that Jacobson is just more careful with the ball or a better low-post passer.

An underrated skill, as well -- Jacobson stays healthy. Health is a skill in sports. The best race car in the world is useless if it is always in the shop. I know injuries might have held Morrow back the past few years, but you have to discount him based on that risk of him not being right, even if a redshirt year to get 100% right and be ready to go would be ideal for him.

Anybody want to help me out there?

The two look pretty similar to me, almost like a pair of Pokémon who were the better players on a bad squad, one oriented more towards defense (J) and one towards offense (M).

• Funny
Reactions: Doc

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
As somebody who does not know much about Nebraska basketball and is only judging things based on looking over the stat lines of the two here...

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/nebraska/2017.html

Can anybody tell me why Morrow is regarded better than Jacobson?

Jacobson is a little bigger. Morrow scores at a higher volume, but they are about equal on scoring efficiency. Neither of them seems to have an outside shot. If Morrow chose Marquette because he wants to play the 3, well, he better be putting some shots up.

Both of them track more towards that "brawling post" role of Hogue's junior year.

Both progressed about the same amount from Year 1 to Year 2. Both are sit one, play two.

Jacobson is a better rebounder, Morrow blocks more shots and generates more steals, but he also turns the ball over more and has a lower assist rate. I would assume that means that Jacobson is just more careful with the ball or a better low-post passer.

An underrated skill, as well -- Jacobson stays healthy. Health is a skill in sports. The best race car in the world is useless if it is always in the shop. I know injuries might have held Morrow back the past few years, but you have to discount him based on that risk of him not being right, even if a redshirt year to get 100% right and be ready to go would be ideal for him.

Anybody want to help me out there?

The two look pretty similar to me, almost like a pair of Pokémon who were the better players on a bad squad, one oriented more towards defense (J) and one towards offense (M).
What's are you basing the statement that Jacobson is a better rebounder off of? He averaged more minutes & less rebounds than Morrow.

• Informative
Reactions: isu83

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
What's are you basing the statement that Jacobson is a better rebounder off of? He averaged more minutes & less rebounds than Morrow.

I might have read a line or two wrong looking across the spreadsheet.

upload_2017-5-15_20-33-31.png

PER lists Jacobson as a slightly more efficient *player,* though Morrow appears to be slightly more efficient as a scorer (and certainly at a higher volume).

Morrow is a bit better on the boards, though Jacobson got more on the offensive glass.

Jacobson has a way higher assist rate and lower turnover rate -- better passer...?

Morrow blocks more shots, Jacobson does not make up for it with a slightly higher steal rate.

Morrow did not take a three. Jacobson took a few, shot in the low 30s.

These advance metrics like assists, a lot -- these stats loves Monté over even Frank Mason, too, for that matter -- so that is helping its listening of him greatly.

Still, I look at this, and I see players in the same league.

Am I reading it wrong otherwise?

Last edited:

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
If you have listened to the podcasts the last 6 months, CW and Jared and both said not to expect a lot from Kosongo. Tennessee fans said he has a circle around him that builds him way higher then his talent and he had motivation issues.

If his year here and the staff couldn't get through to him or saw that he wasn't going to help the team with playing time, might as well let him loose and find someone else.
He would have got less playing time than Edozie in his senior year.