RECRUITING: Elijah Brown to Oregon

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Show me a list of all the great grad transfers we got before Prohm. It starts and ends with Kane. BDJ was good, but didn't end up having a huge impact. Jake Anderson was a l Bowie level player on a bad team. That's it, that's the whole list.

I think you assume grad transfer recruiting is way easier than actually is.

You don't always need high impact players. We were highly successful with guys like Royce White (great player), Korie Lucious, Will Clyburn, Scott Christopherson, Kane, BDJ etc. Theres more than you remember.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Of our nine returning men, this is how many years they have in the program...

---
Weiler-Babb

---
Jackson
Kasongo
Long
Young

---
Lard

---
Lewis
McNeill
Wigginton

= 6.5 years total or 0.72 years on average

That is barely any returning experience. We have twelve returning starts -- all Solomon.

Nick is the "old man" for having been here that extra redshirt year.

This is a *super* young team.

Having that "core" of four-year guys requires some time to coach them up and for them to mature and really take over the program. I imagine Prohm will have it there in some time, but it is not there right now. He has not had a chance to install it yet.

We were depending on spring transfers to be major contributors, if not starters -- not supplements to a roster that was already talented, experienced, and versatile.
Completely agree, and didn't mean to imply that it was already coming into place. I just have gotten the feeling, through interviews and things of that nature that Prohm has done about recruiting, that the core of prep players is where he wants to get to, the model that he is trying to create. By no means is he going to be there this year, because of the mass exodus last year, but I have faith with the prep guys he has gotten, that he can do it.

I'm a Prohm believer, so I am willing to wait out these years before rushing to judgement on his abilities. I think he deserves at least that much.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Show me a list of all the great grad transfers we got before Prohm. It starts and ends with Kane. BDJ was good, but didn't end up having a huge impact. Jake Anderson was a l Bowie level player on a bad team. That's it, that's the whole list.

I think you assume grad transfer recruiting is way easier than actually is.

The entire list since Fred came back to Ames is...

Jake Anderson
DeAndre Kane
Bryce Dejean-Jones
Darrell Bowie
Merrill Holden

...and that is it.

Kane was incredible. BDJ was talented but a 100% head case. I would take Anderson or Bowie on any team for depth, but not depend on them for much of anything on a team that has postseason ambitions. Holden was a bust and not a Big 12 player.

Not an incredible record.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You don't always need high impact players. We were highly successful with guys like Royce White (great player), Korie Lucious, Will Clyburn, Scott Christopherson, Kane, BDJ etc. Theres more than you remember.

None of the bolded were grad transfers.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

He was referencing grad transfers.

Reactions: isufbcurt

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I am not surprised that your comments attracted more dislikes than likes. Even though what you said are all facts. You are supposed to pretend as though everything is perfect at ISU damn it! I have never seen a fanbase that tolerates mediocrity as ISU fans. Can't do much about it. Good thing I get to jump on the seahawks bandwagon and get watch the seahawks for free when I go there or somewhere close to here. :)

The forum on here has always been a place of intense kool aid pumping. Anything that can be perceived as negative is immediately attacked. No one wants to hear the negativity even if it provides engagement to the discussion and opens minds to possibilities of improvements.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I actually think our coaching staff is doing an amazing job. if you can get the #1 juco and one of the top available grad transfers on campus to ames, iowa, that's all you can do.

no sense using logic or trying to rationalize recruiting. its recruiting.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The forum on here has always been a place of intense kool aid pumping. Anything that can be perceived as negative is immediately attacked. No one wants to hear the negativity even if it provides engagement to the discussion and opens minds to possibilities of improvements.
They're just full of doubt, probably more than those willing to admit the past two springs haven't been good.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone11

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
hangoverisu.jpg

MFFESKBXMUKFPOX.20130403210103.jpg

korie_lucious_2013_03_21.jpg

Once again, none of them are grad transfers

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
How many of those were grad transfers?

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Since there's a long time before we get to watch our Clones again, I think people would rather feast on hope versus despair for the next few months. I don't mind a little realism, but some on here will latch onto that negativity and watch the world burn. Those are the ones that take that negativity and want to make everyone else miserable.

We've missed on some key pieces, however the pieces we have in place are pretty damn good. We're just young and lacking an experienced leader on the court. We're in unfamiliar territory after being spoiled with some pretty amazing years of Cyclone role models.

IMO, it comes down to whether us fans want to focus on the positive or negative for the next several months.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
They're just full of doubt, probably more than those willing to admit the past two springs haven't been good.

The "market inefficiency" of the transfer players that Hoiberg & staff exploited is not the same now that it used to be. There simply much more competition for transfer players than there used to be. Even with that ISU is still getting campus visits from players, but simply not landing them.

You cannot get them all, but the players like Bowie and Shayok are nothing to dismiss either. If we land Morrow, will it change your mind on transfer recruiting success?

Also, the past 2 years have been the 2 best MBB recruiting classes in recent memory and far better than any classes Hoiberg had. Grad, transfer, and JC players are great for filling immediate needs- don't get me wrong. But High school players are and should be the foundation of any program. So cool the jets on how abhorrent recruiting has been under Prohm.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron