RECRUITING: Elijah Brown to Oregon

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
I think Prohm hangs his recruiting hat on the relationships he creates with these young men. It makes it extremely more difficult when you have to condense the normal recruitment cycle into this 3 month crap shoot. I know Prohm has done transfer recruiting before, and he can land successful recruits, but it will be harder for him. What was the one thing that stood out about Marial Shayock's visit? How great of a connection he made with Prohm. No wonder he was the first to sign. I know Prohm made the hard push for Juiston, but in that case it was his coach who was promoting how much Prohm had been there, not Juiston himself, where as Lindell's main reason for coming to Iowa State was the relationship he made with Prohm.

I'm not making an excuse or anything. But, in a relaitonship-driven recruitment style you are going to miss on some of the high level transfers if they aren't basing their decisions on the trust they have in their coach, and more basing it on where they think they can showcase their talents best.
In any recruiting style you are going to miss on some high level players. Why is that hard to understand?

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
This spring was laughable, same with last spring.

You can deflect the pressure off prohm and his effort can even be commended, but he needs more help when it comes to grad transfer recruiting. Time for a change in assistants.
I can definitely see this. It's hard to be a successful recruiter without a top assistant like Abdelmassih or Otz and I just don't think any of Berry, Small & Robinson are there.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

You can deflect the pressure off prohm and his effort can even be commended, but he needs more help when it comes to grad transfer recruiting. Time for a change in assistants.

or you get off the dependency of grad transfers which I think is where he is trying to go.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
or you get off the dependency of grad transfers which I think is where he is trying to go.
I agree, I think Prohm would like to have his core of players consistently be made out of prep recruits(because that means he is evaluating his talent well) and then fill in our needs with a grad transfer/JuCo player as turnover is expected annually.

• Agree
Reactions: fsanford and ComCY

Cyclone Rebel

Apr 28, 2017
Sorry to hear that, Brown would have been a good fit, looks like next year might be a rebuilding year. But things can turn around quickly after a bad year, even if you end up at 11-21. I still think Prohm will get the job done.

Cyclone11

Aug 29, 2016

I am not surprised that your comments attracted more dislikes than likes. Even though what you said are all facts. You are supposed to pretend as though everything is perfect at ISU damn it! I have never seen a fanbase that tolerates mediocrity as ISU fans. Can't do much about it. Good thing I get to jump on the seahawks bandwagon and get watch the seahawks for free when I go there or somewhere close to here. :)

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I agree, I think Prohm would like to have his core of players consistently be made out of prep recruits(because that means he is evaluating his talent well) and then fill in our needs with a grad transfer/JuCo player as turnover is expected annually.

Of our nine returning men, this is how many years they have in the program...

---
Weiler-Babb

---
Jackson
Kasongo
Long
Young

---
Lard

---
Lewis
McNeill
Wigginton

= 6.5 years total or 0.72 years on average

That is barely any returning experience. We have twelve returning starts -- all Solomon.

Nick is the "old man" for having been here that extra redshirt year.

This is a *super* young team.

Having that "core" of four-year guys requires some time to coach them up and for them to mature and really take over the program. I imagine Prohm will have it there in some time, but it is not there right now. He has not had a chance to install it yet.

We were depending on spring transfers to be major contributors, if not starters -- not supplements to a roster that was already talented, experienced, and versatile.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Show me a list of all the great grad transfers we got before Prohm. It starts and ends with Kane. BDJ was good, but didn't end up having a huge impact. Jake Anderson was a l Bowie level player on a bad team. That's it, that's the whole list.

I think you assume grad transfer recruiting is way easier than actually is.

Cyclone11

Aug 29, 2016
New idea: let's just not mention any more available players on these boards. Seems to be some bad juju.
Bad juju, no you didn't say that. It's the coaching stuff that can't recruit well and close out on recruits and that's no bad juju. But of course, you don't want to hear that and now you are calling it bad juju.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

If that was the case then we wouldn't have

If that was the case we wouldn't have thrown our hat into a large amount of grad transfer's recruitment like we did this spring. Prohm knows that in this day and age to win consistently he is going to have to add a grad transfer or two each spring. Attrition has become the norm in college basketball and to fill ours we're going to have to replace them with transfers of our own.

This is not in any way targeted to you, but there is a huge portion of members on here that absolutely refuse to admit when anything has gone bad or could be improved with this staff. Prohm is such a great recruiter and develops great relationships with these kids. His recruiting level is unquestionably high. However, damn near every commitment we get says the same "I committed because I developed such a great relationship with Prohm."

That tells me that his assistants are not providing enough recruiting help. He needs assistants that are creating their own relationships and have their own connections with recruits (specifically grad recruits since we are obviously struggling in that area). I understand that no one likes the comparisons, but how many times did Hoiberg get a recruit because of the relationship that was created with Cornell Mann, MA, or TJ? Many, many times. With Prohm's ability and desire to recruit (compared to Hoiberg's lack there of) just one assistant with this type of recruiting caliber would go a long way. Prohm's assistants are not providing him with the help he needs on the recruiting trail.

Not to mention the possibility that Prohm stretched himself too thin on some of these prospects, due to the lack of ability from his staff. Just some thoughts.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

Elijah to Oregon. Not good fellas.

Well... I guess there's only one thing left to do...

pedrocerranoyes.gif

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
We
I can definitely see this. It's hard to be a successful recruiter without a top assistant like Abdelmassih or Otz and I just don't think any of Berry, Small & Robinson are there.
We literally just signed our best high school class ever, without Abdelmassih or Otz. Care to explain how that happened? Name one good high school player Abdelmassih recruited.

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
Sorry to hear that, Brown would have been a good fit, looks like next year might be a rebuilding year. But things can turn around quickly after a bad year, even if you end up at 11-21. I still think Prohm will get the job done.

I hope not. That would be incredibly embarrassing to drop that far down approaching UNLV territory.

Reactions: isutrevman