Way Too Early Look at Next Year

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I'm no scout, but just from what I've seen, I think Lewis would start right now. If we sign that juco or a transfer that could change, but to me he looks ready.

I think he definitely has the ability to. I think Babb has the inside track to start.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I'm willing to bet Babb shoots 600 3 pt'ers a day this summer and is a big contributor for us next year. He's clearly got the talent and next year he'll get more minutes to produce.

Lewis is a big time talent with a much improved shot since the recruiting rankings were done. They should both push each other.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Seems like we've backed off all recruits for now except for Juiston and I would imagine we'll take at least one grad transfer. I'm hoping no one transfers as I don't think Prohm will want to add anymore than 3 more players and then I think the 3rd scholarship open currently would go to a sit-out transfer. With this we'd still have the most size and defensive potential we've had in the past 10 years or so. Here's how I see things playing out:

1: Wigginton
2. Jackson
3. Weiler-Babb
4. Juiston/fallback Juco
5. Young

Off the bench: Grad transfer wing, Lewis, Lard (don't think we'll start him along with Young and clog up our offense and spacing), Long

The talent is there to make the tournament but there's a lot to sort out between now and next March.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Do we only have one senior next year? If a 4th scholarship opens up I'd say we'll take a juco and two grad transfers. Leave the 4th scholarship for a mid year transfer. Have to try to balance the classes a little bit.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Seems like we've backed off all recruits for now except for Juiston and I would imagine we'll take at least one grad transfer. I'm hoping no one transfers as I don't think Prohm will want to add anymore than 3 more players and then I think the 3rd scholarship open currently would go to a sit-out transfer. With this we'd still have the most size and defensive potential we've had in the past 10 years or so.
A couple guys transferring out would allow us to sign three guys that can help next year, plus still get a redshirt transfer or two.

Imo we need more than 3 scholarships to work with. As long as it's coming from guys that will not play next year, of course.

CyKings

Jun 5, 2013
Kansas City, KS
A couple guys transferring out would allow us to sign three guys that can help next year, plus still get a redshirt transfer or two.

Imo we need more than 3 scholarships to work with. As long as it's coming from guys that will not play next year, of course.

Right now we have 3 scholarships to work with. I refuse to speculate who's leaving, but I assume at least 1 will. Which would put us at 4. With D-jack set to graduate next year, we'd have 5. Ideally this year, I think we take a grad transfer (would still keep us at 5), and 2 Jucos (would put us at 3 for next year), and leave 1 open for the year.

This would allow us to go after a mid-year transfer, as well as to even out our classes a little bit. If you can get a sit-out transfer (sophomore range) or another grad transfer, those would be fine as well, as those are our smaller class sizes.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
A game like tonight's had to have really made Solomon Young's confidence level skyrocket. He was over matched but I thought there were times where he really held his ground. That's huge moving forward for him. The times where he gave up baskets will make him want to work even harder than he has over the course of the season. I guess I'm looking for some positives after the loss, but I really think this game will give Young something to help build on.
Hopefully it opens his eyes to where he will need to be if he wants to be one of the best in the nation/nba potential, which I think all these young men aspire to be.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I feel like this fanbase is setting itself up for disappointment next year. Will we be decent? Should be...but decent won't get you in to the tourny. Babb was not much of a factor the last half of the season (had some good moments but nothing consistant). Young played well late but isn't a player yet to build a team around. Jackson is a stud but is certainly no Morris.

Everyone else is a giant question mark. Some may impress us and play well as freshman or newcomers...history tells us a few might not quite live up to expectations.

If this team dances next year Prohm should be CoY, if it gets to the NIT he should get a raise and exension. My guess is we lose a lot of close games and a few we shouldn't and we watch the madness on our couch. I'm still very excited about the future but next year is almost a TOTAL rebuild. People need to chill with these NCAA tourny takes.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I feel like this fanbase is setting itself up for disappointment next year. Will we be decent? Should be...but decent won't get you in to the tourny. Babb was not much of a factor the last half of the season (had some good moments but nothing consistant). Young played well late but isn't a player yet to build a team around. Jackson is a stud but is certainly no Morris.

Everyone else is a giant question mark. Some may impress us and play well as freshman or newcomers...history tells us a few might not quite live up to expectations.

If this team dances next year Prohm should be CoY, if it gets to the NIT he should get a raise and exension. My guess is we lose a lot of close games and a few we shouldn't and we watch the madness on our couch. I'm still very excited about the future but next year is almost a TOTAL rebuild. People need to chill with these NCAA tourny takes.

Agree with this somewhat. But our fan base is built on support and hope. I still hope we somehow get lucky with those last 3 or 4 schollies. Maybe I'm dreaming.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Where does Kasongo fit in? Haven't heard much on him and he still absent from everyone's rotation in this thread. Are we not expecting much from him?

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK

I think a lot of the optimism is coming from the development we have seen from the young players throughout the year. If they can continue to develop and add in some good pieces (HS recruits, JUCOs, Transfers) they could be a solid team next year. I don't expect an NCAA trip next year, but it isn't unrealistic to expect. I am expecting something similar to Iowa's season this year. Flashes of great play with a mix of "what is this team doing".

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I don't see it, we will have a senior point guard who could lead the league in 3 pt%.Think the ceiling with the talent we have coming in is higher.
TCU had a lot of talent, and more experience than we'll have. Dixon is a good coach, but I'm surprised they didn't make it. Honestly, they probably do if they had Hilton magic. They had so many close losses.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
All you need to do is look at TX and OU this year. Good recruits, good coaches, some returning pieces.....and they had terrible years, losing a ton of close games.

Every year, there are 150 fan bases thinking tourney, 50 thinking sweet 16, and 25 thinking final four. That's what makes college bball such a fun sport.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Point guard will be interesting next year. I think we're all in for a shock back to reality when it comes to a ball controlling point guard with the greatest in history now gone.

Texas really struggled this year largely because their talented guards just weren't point guards. I'd rather not have Jackson there because he is such a dangerous off the ball player. Wigginton hasn't played PG at Oak Hill so would be learning on the job as a freshman in the Big XII. I liked what we saw from Babb as a PG although it was such a small sample size it's hard to judge. I find it interesting that he's probably going to be slotted at the 1 or the 3.