Way Too Early Look at Next Year

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Since what I deem what his breakout Big 12 game, at TCU, Jackson shot 55% from 3 for the remainder of the season. I would say that is pretty good. He also averaged about 8 points a game from that time on.

Reactions: MartinCy

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I won't believe in any of the new players hype until I see them play as Cyclones. Not saying they won't be great...just keeping my expectations in check.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I won't believe in any of the new players hype until I see them play as Cyclones. Not saying they won't be great...just keeping my expectations in check.
That's a safe play, some of them will not make much of an impact. But if we hit in our spring recruiting, we'll have the raw assets to have a complete roster composition.

• Agree
Reactions: CySmurf

LACyclone

Mar 16, 2012
Beverly Hills, CA
I'm happy that Babb has two more years. He may not be a starter next year, but I can see him being a great 6th man. He brings a lot of energy. Obviously needs to work on his shot, but that's something that can certainly be improved during the offseason as others have stated.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I'm happy that Babb has two more years. He may not be a starter next year, but I can see him being a great 6th man. He brings a lot of energy. Obviously needs to work on his shot, but that's something that can certainly be improved during the offseason as others have stated.
He will likely start, unless there is a DeAndre Kane level grad transfer that comes here.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Perhaps he could be Kane if he had Kane's mindset? Btw, on 249 attempts Kane was a 24.9% 3P shooter in his two years prior to ISU.

well Kane was better at ISU from the Fred effect. Fred instilled confidence in shooters.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We still need one more Big 12 post. That might be Lard, might not.

We get that, and I am confident we can surprise some people next year.

One more scoring guard/wing would just be a cherry on top. I think that we can synthesize something like that out of our current guys if needed, though.

But you cannot fake "big man," and we do not have a Burton freak around anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonefam

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Probably "green" for a couple of months, will improve and come together ... no way to tell if that means "sub-NIT-to-bubble" or beyond.

Jackson, Young and Weiller-Babb are solid in their roles, they'll be reliable and Young will continue to improve. Looking forward to watching him for 3 more seasons.

Lot of talent coming in, but we don't know what to expect. Plus, who knows juco/transfer stuff. Curious how next season progresses.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It's too early to speculate when I believe not all of our starters are even Cyclones yet.

I think Jackson and Young are unimpeachable starters barring disaster (one of them seriously injured and therefore red-shirting or, gasp, transferring out from Ames).

I would put NWB in the 75%+ category, though I could see a transfer scoring wing or even Lewis pushing him for time, if reports on him are true. I would put Wiggi in the same realm to start the year, but I figure almost 100% by the end of the season.

So that is really 3.5 out of 5. The second post/wing slot is a mystery right now.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Considering it from a schedule point of view:

15-15

Big XII: 7-11
Beat OSU 2x
Split with TTech, Texas, Kstate, Oklahoma, TCU
Lose 2 to Kansas, Baylor, WVU

Non-Con 8-4
Lose 1 in Puerto Rico, Lose to Iowa (We are just too young yet), Lose 2 somewhere we shouldn't.

If we can go 10-2 in Non-Con and sweep Tech and Texas that would get us to 19-11 assuming we don't drop some more we shouldn't. I just think that is a stretch when we will be starting out young. I wouldn't put it past CSP to pull it off but I am not betting on it.

Could be a team that wins 2 or 3 in the Big XII tourney assuming they have to play the 1st round and they should be much better by end of the year.

I think we are going to come up a game or two short of NCAA overall.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
next year is kind of scary to think about. A lot of doubt, which we haven't had in a long time. Every year after 2012, we all had something to be excited about. A lot of returning players and talented transfers and newcomers mixed in. Next year, we have a few role players from this years team and have to mix them with newcomers, who as of now are all freshmen.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

15-15

Beat OSU 2x

Non-Con 8-4
Lose 1 in Puerto Rico, Lose to Iowa (We are just too young yet), Lose 2 somewhere we shouldn't.

If we can go 10-2 in Non-Con and sweep Tech and Texas that would get us to 19-11 assuming we don't drop some more we shouldn't. I just think that is a stretch when we will be starting out young. I wouldn't put it past CSP to pull it off but I am not betting on it.

Could be a team that wins 2 or 3 in the Big XII tourney assuming they have to play the 1st round and they should be much better by end of the year.

Nice look through. Yep, we need to get a few good transfers in order to get trip #7

CyKings

Jun 5, 2013
Kansas City, KS

15-15

Beat OSU 2x

Non-Con 8-4

I could see splitting with WVU or BU too. Most of the big 12 takes a step back -

KU-Mason & Lucas gone (will reload)
BU-Motley (probably gone)
WVU-Adrian and 4 others all gone
OSU-Evans gone

That's your top 4 (not including ISU) from this year. KSU has Weber, I think TCU climbs up, and Texas/OU could show improvement b/c they were so young.

My point is, it's really impossible to tell next year because so much of the big 12 will turnover again. Just because we are losing a lot, doesn't mean other teams aren't losing a lot as well. The entire All big 12 1st team is gone (assuming Motley goes). The best 3 players coming back right now are Graham(KU), Carroll (OSU), and Carter (WVU)... and who knows if any of them decide to leave.

Reactions: Cynonymous