FAWcast 108: Monte not an NBA player?

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
When I made my comment on the FAWcast I really didn't mean it as a negative towards Monte or anyone else on the team. Like I said, I hope he proves me wrong and makes the NBA.

The reasoning behind my statement was in terms of what ISU needs to do to be successful on offense. We don't have an NBA scorer (like Niang) where you can iso. You have to move the ball to be successful. I think we saw that in the Texas game. We got some great looks at the end of the game based off driving and kicking.
I didn't think you were trying to dig, I was jsut suprised to hear that. That explanation makes a lot of sense, and I agree with you. Burton's the best option we have at that type of ball. Even Nader was really good at that.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Hey guys,

I was re-listening to the latest FAWcast and I heard a statement that I didn't catch last time. It's at the 15:07 mark. I think it's Adam Gray that says "There's not an NBA player on the team..."

Have expectations for Monte really dropped that far, or did he just not think about him when saying that? I even think Deonte will get a shot at the league with his body type and skillset, but I'd think we CERTAINLY have Monte as an NBA player. He's currently mocked 36th overall to Boston.

Link to FAWcast here.
I don't think he's an NBA player. Certainly not a lock and not one of those guys that you say "He's a pro" when watching them. He's the consummate college pg.

I won't be surprised either way.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I thought everyone did? I mean, you can't be an assist king and not be a decent passer.
Of course he is a decent passer. I asked if people considered him great. Huge difference between decent and great imo.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
They play baseball in cleats, don't they?

Why when you go to the doctor do they make you take your shoes off to see how tall you are? I mean, you wear shoes every day, right? Wouldn't it be odd to measure w/o shoes on?

Doing the 2 different measurements in basketball is stupid IMO.
All Heights outside of the doctor should be measured with shoes on. What do you do without shoes on. All I do is sleep. So why would I not measure how I usually am.

The reason the doctor has you take shoes off is for consistency. That way show changes don't mask issues or give false issues.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not sure he is an NBA player. His outside shot is inconsistent and he can't create his own shot. He is a great college point guard, but I don't see it in the NBA.

I tend to agree with this. I will never count him out though, and I hope he proves me to be totally wrong. I'll definitely be rooting for him big time.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
If I was a talented basketball player (and not a 30 year old 6 foot tall, white numbers cruncher) and was looking at being a late 2nd round pick I'd much rather make millions overseas getting to play a lot of minutes and seeing the world than riding the bench in New Orleans or Memphis or Sacramento. That's just me though.

• Disagree
Reactions: isutrevman

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If I was a talented basketball player (and not a 30 year old 6 foot tall, white numbers cruncher) and was looking at being a late 2nd round pick I'd much rather make millions overseas getting to play a lot of minutes and seeing the world than riding the bench in New Orleans or Memphis or Sacramento. That's just me though.

6 ft with or without shoes?

Reactions: MartinCy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
When all the other players are thinking and playing at the level of efficiency Monte does. Then add in some freakish athletes to alley oop to and you have an NBA point guard IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
A respected poster on another site made an interesting point about this. He said something along the lines of with his performances in the summer camps, Monte has shown that when he's surrounded by elite talent, he really shines. I don't know how much they take that into account vs. his everyday statistics, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
yeah, at one of the camps monte was on a team of college players and they were beating the teams that had some of the pros on them. They also held the court all night.(winner stays on the court)

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
They play baseball in cleats, don't they?

Why when you go to the doctor do they make you take your shoes off to see how tall you are? I mean, you wear shoes every day, right? Wouldn't it be odd to measure w/o shoes on?

Doing the 2 different measurements in basketball is stupid IMO.

We aren't talking about baseball are we?
What does this have to do with what a doctor does?
NBA scouts do care what height you are if you are going to be playing power forward. And you play with shoes on. :D