FAWcast 108: Monte not an NBA player?

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
He measured 6'3 at the USA Pan Am thing he went to last year. We list players what they are legit listed at. Worst case he's 6'2.5 because they round up.

6'1 1/2 w/o shoes
6'2 1/2 w/ shoes

Source draft express

So Jared is only 6'9 in comparison :)

• Informative
Reactions: cbclone16

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was surprised to see Niang make the initial roster so who knows, but I just don't see Morris as an NBA player.

Great career at ISU and if things go well he could be part of a very small group at ISU that made the tourney all 4 years, which is pretty remarkable.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Worth keeping in mind that PG is a loaded position right now, and this draft has a ton that are ranked in front of Monte.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I was surprised to see Niang make the initial roster so who knows, but I just don't see Morris as an NBA player.

Great career at ISU and if things go well he could be part of a very small group at ISU that made the tourney all 4 years, which is pretty remarkable.

I think that very small group would be 4 players. Georges, Monte, naz, and Matt.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'm 6'3. I don't tell people I'm 6'4.5 w/ shoes on. But I think I might start doing that. Sounds better.....

You're not a basketball player though. Every player listed is listed at their height with shoes on. I know some schools inflate players heights some but if you look at what ISU lists them at compared to what they measure in at at camps or the combine we don't do it. I think Kane was actually listed shorter here than what he measured at the combine. Monte is a legit 6'2.5 or 6'3

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
You're not a basketball player though. Every player listed is listed at their height with shoes on. I know some schools inflate players heights some but if you look at what ISU lists them at compared to what they measure in at at camps or the combine we don't do it. I think Kane was actually listed shorter here than what he measured at the combine. Monte is a legit 6'2.5 or 6'3

Pfff, I got a big game tomorrow night with the other old guys in Grimes. You can come watch me. I'll be the guy that takes 8 seconds to get down the court and has to come out every 2-3 minutes because I'm sucking wind.

Reactions: isu2014 and CyTwins

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
No idea why we would even want to debate this. Monte is one of the best guards to come through Iowa State, so naturally, midway through his senior year we have to have a debate on if he is a good enough player. Just enjoy the ride. This "is our best player good enough for the NBA" argument can wait until, ya know, they have a full body of work for their senior year. God knows Abdel wouldn't have gotten drafted if you just take his first half of last year..

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Remember how shocked people were that Kane and Ejim didn't make a roster? Ejim was Big 12 POTY.

Making the NBA is REALLY REALLY hard.

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said Bryce, Georges, or Abdel would never set foot inside the NBA. I'd be retired. Sure not everybody is going to make a roster but at least they got their shot. So will Monte.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Morris is a classic case of a player who makes his teammates/team better, but when looking at him as an individual, nothing is eye-popping. The point another poster made about him looking good with elite talent surrounding him actually makes a ton of sense. There's been spots this year when he's had to be "the guy" and that's not what Monte is best at. He's best at picking and choosing his spots and elevating the play of those around him.

There's certainly nothing wrong with not being a "the guy" type of player, but unfortunately, that's often what teams are looking for in the NBA Draft.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Remember how shocked people were that Kane and Ejim didn't make a roster? Ejim was Big 12 POTY.

Making the NBA is REALLY REALLY hard.

If Kane didn't make it, Monte won't make it. Count me in for a CyBookie wager if anyone wants to take me up on that. On an NBA roster January 1, 2018... +220.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If Kane didn't make it, Monte won't make it. Count me in for a CyBookie wager if anyone wants to take me up on that. On an NBA roster January 1, 2018... +220.

giphy.gif

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Monte is a legit 6'2.5 or 6'3

Have you ever seen the team out on the town in Ames/Des Moines the last couple years? I see these guys out at the bars multiple times a year, I'm 6'1ish barefoot and Monte is about my height.

• Winner
Reactions: cbclone16