*** Official IOWA STATE VS #2 Baylor Game(Day) Thread ***

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
A couple of things:

1. Only 2 Big 12 teams are undefeated in conference. It would have been amazing to get that win.

2. We have played consistently good for 3 halves in row now. That's a good thing. This team looked a lot better than they have.

3. If I spent my life as miserable as a lot of you, I think I wouldn't bother following sports.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
We had to take a 3 there IMO. If Monte's fadeaway, hand in the face shot even happens to go in, we're in OT where we tend to get blown out on the road against good teams.

When you have a chance to beat #2 on the road in regulation, you HAVE to do it. Do not hope in OT you can get it done.

We tried

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Can't complain about the coaching in that one. We had no business winning that game the way we matched up against Baylor's size and athleticism. I actually thought our coaching and game plan is what helped us stay in the game and neutralize their strengths against us. Last shot was frustrating, but to me it looked a play was drawn up and one of our guys didn't execute.

Our game plan was awesome coming into the game. I generally think that's Prohm's best strength.

But there is no denying our end of game offensive issues and inability to close out close games. I haven't doubled checked it but someone said Prohm is 4-11 in games decided by 5 or less.

We DEFINITELY need improvement there or will be sweating come March.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
For all the people saying there was a play call it just wasn't executed that may be but where's the proof that he can do it. The problem with saying that is this is always the case. The way you get to the point that people will say it wasn't executed well or they defended it well is to actually execute it well sometimes.

Set play execution remains are largest weakness.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Bummer, almost had a great win (again). I was only able to watch the 2nd half but at least ISU played well, except for the last 2 minutes.

This will be an unpredictable season. Except for Bowie shooting free throws. He's awful at those.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
The jury is still out on whether the Miami win will be a good win come March. They are 11-2 I think right now but could end up towards the bottom of the ACC once the season is finished.

Texas Tech was our best win so far.
They got rolled @ Syracuse today too. Not sure how good Cuse is but that isn't promising

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Played a great game against a tough team. Only 5 turnovers to their 14, 10-22 from 3 vs their 3-17 and didn't let them dominate inside.
Well they did get dominated inside but they found a way to counteract it.

I'm over the loss. Just hope they build on it. Showed some gumption finally.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
The idea that Scott Drew is a bad coach is one that needs to die. He may have been at one time be he isn't anymore
He is and always has been a very good coach. We joke about how he always calls lots of timeouts in Ames. But the fact is it has been great strategy. I seemed to recall it helped cost us a conference title one year when they beat us Ames.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
The idea that Scott Drew is a bad coach is one that needs to die. He may have been at one time be he isn't anymore
This is exactly right - whatever perceived shortcomings people think Prohm has just think how much Drew improved and we are already seeing how well Prohm recruits.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
For all the people saying there was a play call it just wasn't executed that may be but where's the proof that he can do it. The problem with saying that is this is always the case. The way you get to the point that people will say it wasn't executed well or they defended it well is to actually execute it well sometimes.

Set play execution remains are largest weakness.

The thing is that 8-second set plays against any set college defense, much less a great one in BU, are not a winning proposition. The defenses are too well coached to be beat for an easy shot in 8 seconds.

DrT

Nov 17, 2012
Mammoth Lakes, CA
NET NEGATIVE

It does NOT MATTER to team success just HOW AMAZINGLY TALENTED and awe-inspiring ANY player’s raw talent IS. Kobe Bryant did crazy “cool things” the last several years of his NBA career (D*m^e^ selfish gunner). If/when you have ANY player whose team’s success SUFFERS when he (or she) is on the floor (like a net LOSS of points - and especially giving up leads) CONSISTENTLY – SUCH a person certainly does NOT BELONG on the floor during “crunch time!

The loss to Baylor is the SAME AS ANY OTHER LOSS – whether by ONE or by SIXTY. Put Solomon Young or Donovan Jackson into THAT game for the last FIVE MINUTES, and IMHO it would be a Cyclone WIN! Baylor was TOTALLY set up to lose, and wishful thinking LET Baylor off the hook!

Burton is NOT yet READY to come back and be reliable ENOUGH to fill the role that he NEEDS to fill - AND which this team NEEDS HIM to fill. …same old habits and tendencies” AND net negative game margins WHENEVER on the floor.

If he is blessed with all of this talent, then he is capable of CHANGE. Unless change is demanded and insisted upon, it WILL NOT HAPPEN!

Signed,

2 bad, so sad.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The thing is that 8-second set plays against any set college defense, much less a great one in BU, are not a winning proposition. The defenses are too well coached to be beat for an easy shot in 8 seconds.

Which is why the stoppage was so critical. 10 times easier to score in a scramble than by inbounding it with the defense all set and in position.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98 and Doc

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
NET NEGATIVE

It does NOT MATTER to team success just HOW AMAZINGLY TALENTED and awe-inspiring ANY player’s raw talent IS. Kobe Bryant did crazy “cool things” the last several years of his NBA career (D*m^e^ selfish gunner). If/when you have ANY player whose team’s success SUFFERS when he (or she) is on the floor (like a net LOSS of points - and especially giving up leads) CONSISTENTLY – SUCH a person certainly does NOT BELONG on the floor during “crunch time!

The loss to Baylor is the SAME AS ANY OTHER LOSS – whether by ONE or by SIXTY. Put Solomon Young or Donovan Jackson into THAT game for the last FIVE MINUTES, and IMHO it would be a Cyclone WIN! Baylor was TOTALLY set up to lose, and wishful thinking LET Baylor off the hook!

Burton is NOT yet READY to come back and be reliable ENOUGH to fill the role that he NEEDS to fill - AND which this team NEEDS HIM to fill. …same old habits and tendencies” AND net negative game margins WHENEVER on the floor.

If he is blessed with all of this talent, then he is capable of CHANGE. Unless change is demanded and insisted upon, it WILL NOT HAPPEN!

Signed,

2 bad, so sad.
We have lost to the only undefeated teams in the nation by a combined total of 4 points. One game on the road and one on a neutral site. This is the team that we have. It might not be built like the team we thought it was going to be or hoped but it's what we have. I think they shown that they can compete with anyone just gotta figure out how to win. I hope they learned a thing or two the last few games.

Help Support Us

Become a patron