*** Official IOWA STATE VS #2 Baylor Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Really great effort and game from ISU. Only thing that I thought was bad was late game offense and defense. Oh yeah and free throws. Same reason they got beat by Gonzaga and Cinci. They didn't have a good offensive possession the last three possessions.

Reactions: GM4ISU

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
I was down on our team and was disappointed in our effort in a few of our games. I felt there was too much show boating and egos were out of check.

That all changed last night. What I saw was a team that wanted to win and was gritty. I didn't see any BS showboating or animated crap.

That was a great performance and something that can go a long ways if we continue to execute like that. Good for our guys and a shame we didn't get to celebrate on someone else's court.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Really great effort and game from ISU. Only thing that I thought was bad was late game offense and defense. Oh yeah and free throws. Same reason they got beat by Gonzaga and Cinci. They didn't have a good offensive possession the last three possessions.
Agree. Great effort and very good prep by the staff . We just don't have the upside on offense or defense to pull out many end of game possessions against good teams.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Also thought for the most part the offense looked better except for the last few minutes. In the first half and in the second half they were getting some good looks running their offense. Monte and Burton both missed a lot of makeable shots. Some were changed by Acuil but others are shots they can make.
Thought the last few minutes they weren't as patient and didn't move as well on offense. Also, Prohm needed to tell Burton that if he is going to be in there on defense at the end he can't play defense like he is scared to pick up his 5th foul. He gave up a couple easy ones because he didnt want to foul.

As someone mentioned earlier as well. It is hard in close games as well when you don't have a go to scorer who can get his shot like Niang could. Burton can get to the rim a lot but he just hasn't been making them. Although I was glad to see him hit a 3 in the second half and then follow that with a made layup. That may help going forward.

Overall though, very encouraging. Thought that was probably their best game they have played all year. Amazing really that they were able to stay in it and have a chance considering how poorly they shot from the free throw line and how poorly Morris and Burton both shot.

I thought three plays were critical in the last few minutes. 1) Thomas getting his 3 blocked. He had a really good look at it and Lindsey just made a really good play. If that goes in I think ISU wins. They would have been up by 5 with 3:50 left. 2) Then the missed free throw by Babb. You could have extended the lead at least to 3 points there and came away with nothing. 3) the poor shot selection by Long on the long 3 pointer. that was just bad shot selection. Thought it was weird also they went with a lineup the last few minutes that I don't think they used in the game before that.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I don't worry about a hangover, because most of these guys know you can't take a night off in the big 12 and they will want to get a win after suffering a loss. If they keep playing like they did last night, they could win the next 3 games.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I don't worry about a hangover, because most of these guys know you can't take a night off in the big 12 and they will want to get a win after suffering a loss. If they keep playing like they did last night, they could win the next 3 games.
Agree. The question is will they? They have shown they can play with the best teams if they play hard focused basketball for 40 mins. The hard part will be to do that night in and night out and not take teams lightly regardless of their record. I think the game against Texas will be telling. They will be favored and should win but if they come out flat and unfocused like they did against Iowa they'll lose and it shows that they didn't learn a Damn thing. If they do come out with hair on fire intensity then I think that'll bode well for the rest of the season.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Did a recount of our record in games decided by 5 points or less including OT under Prohm. Missed our win at home against Oklahoma last year and had an extra loss somewhere in there, so our actual record in these games is 5-10.

Our wins:
Iowa
@Cincy
Oklahoma
@Oklahoma State
Indiana State

Our losses:
UNI at Wells Fargo
@Oklahoma
Baylor
@texas
@Baylor x2
@ Texas Tech
Oklahoma in the Big 12 Tourney
Gonzaga
Cincy

• Informative
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Did a recount of our record in games decided by 5 points or less including OT under Prohm. Missed our win at home against Oklahoma last year and had an extra loss somewhere in there, so our actual record in these games is 5-10.

Our wins:
Iowa
@Cincy
Oklahoma
@Oklahoma State
Indiana State

Our losses:
UNI at Wells Fargo
@Oklahoma
Baylor
@texas
@Baylor x2
@ Texas Tech
Oklahoma in the Big 12 Tourney
Gonzaga
Cincy
Well that certainly isn't flattering but I'm whilling to give Prohm a small pass until a year or two from now. RIght now we are experiencing the woes of Hoiberg's terrible recruiting his last two years. By no means do I think Prohm get's a pass on everything but you can only work with what you've got.

• Agree
Reactions: swarthmoreCY

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Well that certainly isn't flattering but I'm whilling to give Prohm a small pass until a year or two from now. RIght now we are experiencing the woes of Hoiberg's terrible recruiting his last two years. By no means do I think Prohm get's a pass on everything but you can only work with what you've got.
Hoiberg also had some rough times in 2010-11 and 2012-13 in close games.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Agree. The question is will they? They have shown they can play with the best teams if they play hard focused basketball for 40 mins. The hard part will be to do that night in and night out and not take teams lightly regardless of their record. I think the game against Texas will be telling. They will be favored and should win but if they come out flat and unfocused like they did against Iowa they'll lose and it shows that they didn't learn a Damn thing. If they do come out with hair on fire intensity then I think that'll bode well for the rest of the season.

This is the part of the season where having seniors matters. They know how important each and every game is. They know they'll need to be ready. And they know that every single Big 12 conference game is twice as important as the Iowa game in the grand scheme of things. I'm only really worried because some of our personnel deficiencies make our margin for error really tight.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Hoiberg also had some rough times in 2010-11 and 2012-13 in close games.

yes and 14-15 wasn't that great either. As I mentioned a much larger percentage of Prohm's games have been close. For example in one year, Fred lost against Drake and UNI by more than 5. So I didn't count them as close losses, but certainly those weren't good losses. There are different ways of looking at that, but maybe Prohm is keeping games closer than Fred would and therefore losing a few more than Fred did.

• Agree
Reactions: swarthmoreCY

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
yes and 14-15 wasn't that great either. As I mentioned a much larger percentage of Prohm's games have been close. For example in one year, Fred lost against Drake and UNI by more than 5. So I didn't count them as close losses, but certainly those weren't good losses. There are different ways of looking at that, but maybe Prohm is keeping games closer than Fred would and therefore losing a few more than Fred did.

He has only been here one and a half seasons so kind of hard to compare who is better in close games. Especially with different rosters.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride