Game of Thrones Season 6

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
If and when WoW comes out, I am going to TRY and pace myself as much as possible. Cause god knows it is going to be another few years before ADoS comes out.

It is really discouraging. I know I will read it as fast as possible, and then just wait and wait and wait and......

GrrM recently had a public discussion with Stephen King and he asked him how he writes so much. King said he writes 6 pages per day. Martin said he writes 3 chapters every 6 months.

The fact that he does not need the paycheck is not going to help either. I am beginning to think he may never finish.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
http://io9.gizmodo.com/you-can-stop-second-guessing-that-big-jon-snow-revelati-1782810006

Certainly it has always stood to reason that Rhaegar would be Jon’s father—he’s the one who wanted Lyanna enough to steal her despite the fact he was married and Lyanna was betrothed to Robert, and he had kept her for many months before Ned finally arrived at the Tower of Joy to rescue her. But without audible confirmation that Rhaegar was the babydaddy, some people have been speculating that Jon’s father may be someone else entirely.
These people are wrong, which we know thanks to this handy infographic just released by HBO:

As you can see, it’s a list of relationships which very clearly lists Rhaegar Targaryen as Jon’s parent, along with Lyanna. If the show still wanted to present Jon’s father as an unknown, then at the very least it would have left this particular line out.
So if you’re one of the people who thought the show was presenting the formula that x + L = J (as opposed to the infinitely more prevalent even before the episode aired R + L = J). you may put down your pencils. HBO just solved for x.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ns3vk1fi7pb5cu1fqglu.PNG
    ns3vk1fi7pb5cu1fqglu.PNG
    417.4 KB · Views: 258

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I would like to see some Bran flashbacks with Rheagar in them. Just to see who they cast for the part and how he's portrayed.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
It is really discouraging. I know I will read it as fast as possible, and then just wait and wait and wait and......

GrrM recently had a public discussion with Stephen King and he asked him how he writes so much. King said he writes 6 pages per day. Martin said he writes 3 chapters every 6 months.

The fact that he does not need the paycheck is not going to help either. I am beginning to think he may never finish.

As brilliant as GRRM is, he goes down the rabbit hole too much.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I think she'll come with the Vale army to help win back the north. The circumstances will be much different though, as Sansa never went to Winterfell or had to escape to the Wall in the book.
Wonder if it will be Mance that Ramsay sends out into the battlefield to shoot arrows at?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

King seems to be a far more classically trained writer than GRRM. Martin seems to be as much of a fan as a writer, and dabbles in tons of other stuff. While the readers want GRRM to put out work like SK, you are getting what you are getting precisely because of all the other things Martin pours his time into.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Wonder if it will be Mance that Ramsay sends out into the battlefield to shoot arrows at?

I doubt it. I think book Roose will not be killed by book Ramsay. Roose in the books is totally aware and wary of Ramsay, he would never give him that kind of opportunity. If anything, book Roose will kill book Ramsay if he keeps acting the way he has. I think the north will play out very different in the books from the show.

Orin02

Nov 23, 2012
King seems to be a far more classically trained writer than GRRM. Martin seems to be as much of a fan as a writer, and dabbles in tons of other stuff. While the readers want GRRM to put out work like SK, you are getting what you are getting precisely because of all the other things Martin pours his time into.

Martin attended Northwestern University where he studied journalism and received a BA in that field and followed up with a MA in 1970.Martin was then a writer in residence and professor at Clarke College from 1978-1979. King attended the University of Maine and graduated with a degree in English. He then worked in a laundry and later as an English teacher at a high school. I don't know why you would think King is a classically trained writer. Have you read his On Writing book? King had a hard time being accepted by "classical" writers during his early and mid career and only in his later years has he been recognized as one of the true masters of his field.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Exactly. And while King is a great writer who has written some great works - they aren't all at that level.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Exactly. And while King is a great writer who has written some great works - they aren't all at that level.

There's just a big difference between writing a ton of different stories and writing one HUGE epic saga.

I wish GRRM would write faster too, but there's not much we can do about it.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com

I've read a lot of King, and some other of GrrM's stuff. I am a fan of both, and will say that aSoIaF is a masterpiece. It is the sheer minutiae and detail that he puts into it that separates it from other series for me. Nothing else like it.

It's bittersweet, because the product is so good.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I doubt it. I think book Roose will not be killed by book Ramsay. Roose in the books is totally aware and wary of Ramsay, he would never give him that kind of opportunity. If anything, book Roose will kill book Ramsay if he keeps acting the way he has. I think the north will play out very different in the books from the show.

The battle for Winterfell will be a siege IMO. Roose sent out some Manderly and Frey men because they were quarreling. He will not ride out to meet Stannis. The gambit with Rickon won't happen, as there is no suitable hostage at this point for him to use, and I don't believe you could even have a suitable battle under the amount of snow that Jeyne and Theon jumped into.

I could see Roose sending out Ramsay to meet Stannis/Jon in battle, but it will be Ramsay's idea, and Roose will not be upset if Ramsay is killed.

Stannis is may be the best battle commander in Westeros. He even smashed the iron fleet at sea during the Greyjoy rebellion. I think his experience and Jon's knowledge of Winterfell will lead to some kind of siege craft that utilizes the snow, geography and nearby woods. I could see them tunneling right to the walls out of sight.

Dino

Mar 26, 2009
Des Moines

I think we'll get WoW early next year and will never get aDoS. At least we'll get some form of closure with the show.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
The battle for Winterfell will be a siege IMO. Roose sent out some Manderly and Frey men because they were quarreling. He will not ride out to meet Stannis. The gambit with Rickon won't happen, as there is no suitable hostage at this point for him to use, and I don't believe you could even have a suitable battle under the amount of snow that Jeyne and Theon jumped into.

I could see Roose sending out Ramsay to meet Stannis/Jon in battle, but it will be Ramsay's idea, and Roose will not be upset if Ramsay is killed.

Stannis is may be the best battle commander in Westeros. He even smashed the iron fleet at sea during the Greyjoy rebellion. I think his experience and Jon's knowledge of Winterfell will lead to some kind of siege craft that utilizes the snow, geography and nearby woods. I could see them tunneling right to the walls out of sight.

The question would be who kills Roose and Stannis? Do you think Mance Rayder will get Roose or will the Northern Conspiracy come to fruition and off them both?

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
The question would be who kills Roose and Stannis? Do you think Mance Rayder will get Roose or will the Northern Conspiracy come to fruition and off them both?

Just because they died in the show doesn't mean they will die in the books. They may die, but then again they may not. I think in the books the Boltons will probably either be assassinated by the conspiracy or sabotaged so they lose in battle. I think Stannis will live on.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Just because they died in the show doesn't mean they will die in the books. They may die, but then again they may not. I think in the books the Boltons will probably either be assassinated by the conspiracy or sabotaged so they lose in battle. I think Stannis will live on.

Correct, the show and books don't have to kill the same people, however in this case, I believe they have to. Both Roose and Stannis are obstacles for the protagonists. Roose/Ramsey are obvious--they're in the way of the Starks retaking Winterfell. I don't see how they could be allowed to live after what they did.

Stannis is claiming to be the king of the seven kingdoms. Dany is in the way of that and possibly Jon due to his heritage. Jon also can't be King of the North since Stannis wouldn't allow that either. (He wanted to name Jon a Stark and Lord of Winterfell. He was against Rob's declaration of independence as well.) Mel also has Stannis as the prince who was promised, which the books are foreshadowing Jon, just like in the show. Stannis has to fall for Jon to become the prince who was promised and king of the North. Stannis has to fall for Jon and/or Dany to rule the seven kingdoms.

So I agree characters don't have to die if they died in the show (like Barristan, for example), however Stannis and the Boltons are too big of obstacles to the protagonists and plot and will need to go.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron