Game of Thrones Season 6

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Correct, the show and books don't have to kill the same people, however in this case, I believe they have to. Both Roose and Stannis are obstacles for the protagonists. Roose/Ramsey are obvious--they're in the way of the Starks retaking Winterfell. I don't see how they could be allowed to live after what they did.

Stannis is claiming to be the king of the seven kingdoms. Dany is in the way of that and possibly Jon due to his heritage. Jon also can't be King of the North since Stannis wouldn't allow that either. (He wanted to name Jon a Stark and Lord of Winterfell. He was against Rob's declaration of independence as well.) Mel also has Stannis as the prince who was promised, which the books are foreshadowing Jon, just like in the show. Stannis has to fall for Jon to become the prince who was promised and king of the North. Stannis has to fall for Jon and/or Dany to rule the seven kingdoms.

So I agree characters don't have to die if they died in the show (like Barristan, for example), however Stannis and the Boltons are too big of obstacles to the protagonists and plot and will need to go.

I was going to say almost the exact same thing. Stannis must die.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
The question would be who kills Roose and Stannis? Do you think Mance Rayder will get Roose or will the Northern Conspiracy come to fruition and off them both?

I really don't know. IMO Stannis is not done yet. I think they killed him off in the show to consolidate with Jon's story, but he is the best battle commander in Westeros and should get that credit in the books. I think that they get Winterfell after some ingenuity by Stannis. Maybe some type of tunneling or siege craft.

The Boltons have such a loose hold on the North that I cannot see it lasting much longer. Ramsay will die, because everyone hates him, and is considered a monster. Roose may end up a captive. It depends on what Stannis will do, but if Manderly gets Roose he is dead. Roose is also very cunning and may escape for a time.

I think Stannis survives, and Jon very well may end up as the White Wolf/King in the North, but not until much later if he does. When Jon is reborn I expect him to lead a host to Winterfell, and the Wildlings will follow him to save Mance. Jon is going to fight the Night's King not for the Iron Throne. I don't think he gets mixed up with the succession of power in Winterfell.

It's obvious that Manderly is conspiring, there is way too much smoke for him not to be. For him to have made Frey Pie you have to think that Davos was successful, and that they have Rickon. Then again, we all know what a "shaggy dog" is. Rickon is likely a red herring, but GrrM has changed a lot of things he was originally going to do.

I think Sansa Marries Harry the Heir, and comes to Winterfell with a fighting force. Harry would become the default Lord of Winterfell and could get the Vale to declare for Stannis. She could oversee the rebuilding, and rule until Rickon comes of age, if he is alive. The Vale has one big resource. Food, their valleys were untouched and they had a bountiful harvest. That is going to figure immensely.

Just my opinion, and for sure GrrM has a lot of twists coming.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
This talk about book vs show death is an interesting topic. Which characters who died in the show do you think will definitely still die in the books?

I think these will be definitely gone eventually in the books: Roose, Ramsey, Fat Walda, Stannis, Shireen, Selyse, Hodor, Jojen, Three Eyed Crow, Hodor, Rickon, Shaggydog, Tommen, Myrcella, High Sparrow, Hizdahr zo Loraq, Meryn Trant, Walder Frey, Black Walder Frey, Lothar Frey, Margaery Tyrell.

Uncertain if they'll be gone or alive in the books: Mace Tyrell, Loras Tyrell, Doran Martell, Trystane Martell, Areo Hotah, Summer, Lancel Lannister, Leaf, Alliser Thorne, Bowen Marsh, Pyp, Greatjon Umber, Osha, Grenn, other Khals, Barristan Selmy, Jayne Westerling (Rob's widow), the Blackfish

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
How did this turn into a book thread again :( Hate to be that guy but just because noone wants to read or post about the book in the actual book thread does not mean it needs to sit in the TV Season 6 thread. I check this for conversation about the season and find 3 pages of junk.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
This talk about book vs show death is an interesting topic. Which characters who died in the show do you think will definitely still die in the books?

I think these will be definitely gone eventually in the books: Roose, Ramsey, Fat Walda, Stannis, Shireen, Selyse, Hodor, Jojen, Three Eyed Crow, Hodor, Rickon, Shaggydog, Tommen, Myrcella, High Sparrow, Hizdahr zo Loraq, Meryn Trant, Walder Frey, Black Walder Frey, Lothar Frey, Margaery Tyrell.

Uncertain if they'll be gone or alive in the books: Mace Tyrell, Loras Tyrell, Doran Martell, Trystane Martell, Areo Hotah, Summer, Lancel Lannister, Leaf, Alliser Thorne, Bowen Marsh, Pyp, Greatjon Umber, Osha, Grenn, other Khals, Barristan Selmy, Jayne Westerling (Rob's widow), the Blackfish

The only person I would be willing to say is 100% going to die is Shireen as that has been confirmed. I also think the show is a lot different than we may think. I always thought that GrrM had it all mapped out, but I am thinking there are major plot points, and characters that he is still unsure about.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

I think Rickon and Shaggydog have a good shot of living.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
How did this turn into a book thread again :( Hate to be that guy but just because noone wants to read or post about the book in the actual book thread does not mean it needs to sit in the TV Season 6 thread. I check this for conversation about the season and find 3 pages of junk.

This. There's a book thread for a reason.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I do too, because he is so young that he really doesn't figure into the political game aside from his claim. He is just a little boy.
23412115.jpg

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
This. There's a book thread for a reason.

The problem is that both mediums overlap each other and one cannot be pure show or book when you're discussing an overlapping topic. About who will die in the books who died in the show? If posted in the book thread, a poster can complain about, "This is a book thread and I don't want to hear about the show." Do we need to create a new thread that is for book and show combined? What fascinates me is that CF complains about this cross-pollenation far more than other sites, far more popular sites, such as reddit's /asoiaf vs /gameofthrones.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
The problem is that both mediums overlap each other and one cannot be pure show or book when you're discussing an overlapping topic. About who will die in the books who died in the show? If posted in the book thread, a poster can complain about, "This is a book thread and I don't want to hear about the show." Do we need to create a new thread that is for book and show combined? What fascinates me is that CF complains about this cross-pollenation far more than other sites, far more popular sites, such as reddit's /asoiaf vs /gameofthrones.
But that discussion was almost solely book related and we don't care. Not a biggie, just stating the obvious.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Book/Show thread would be cool

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Correct, the show and books don't have to kill the same people, however in this case, I believe they have to. Both Roose and Stannis are obstacles for the protagonists. Roose/Ramsey are obvious--they're in the way of the Starks retaking Winterfell. I don't see how they could be allowed to live after what they did.

Stannis is claiming to be the king of the seven kingdoms. Dany is in the way of that and possibly Jon due to his heritage. Jon also can't be King of the North since Stannis wouldn't allow that either. (He wanted to name Jon a Stark and Lord of Winterfell. He was against Rob's declaration of independence as well.) Mel also has Stannis as the prince who was promised, which the books are foreshadowing Jon, just like in the show. Stannis has to fall for Jon to become the prince who was promised and king of the North. Stannis has to fall for Jon and/or Dany to rule the seven kingdoms.

So I agree characters don't have to die if they died in the show (like Barristan, for example), however Stannis and the Boltons are too big of obstacles to the protagonists and plot and will need to go.

Stannis might step aside for someone who he believes has a better claim on the throne. If Dany shows up with her dragons, I could see Stannis surrendering to her. Book Stannis is a stickler for rules and doing what he thinks is the right thing, even if no one else sees it that way. He doesn't want the throne out of passion, he wants it because it is rightfully his according to succession laws.

As for the prince who was promised, I think people make too much of that. I don't think it means Jon will become part of the royal succession or become the king in the north. It just means he is a promised person of Targaryen blood. He might be considered part of that royal family but not a king in his own right.