Throwback Thread: COACHING SEARCH: Wednesday, Nov. 25 evening update

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I'll be honest, I'm not very excited about any of the names out there, which was one ofy concerns with the firing of Rhoads.

I'm sure Jamie has something up his sleeve, or he wouldn't have fired Rhoads, but so far I'm not impressed.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I was looking at Buffalo's forum to see if They think Leipold would leave and one member said this:

Don't think Leipold is the type of person to leave after 1 year.
If he succeeds, he'll probably leave, but I think he wants to be part of building this program, not just jumping ship.

I agree just because I don't want him here.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
You bet it is. It was the tipping point that gave Prohm the edge over that other candidates.

That's unfortunate. I mean, I like Steve Prohm and think he'll be a really good coach..just think that a coach's religious beliefs shouldn't be a factor in his hiring, unless we're talking ND, Boston College, etc.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Why? Paul Johnson has done it successfully. He's gone to BCS bowls and played for conference titles.

I love these people that can predict the future.

Paul Johnson sits in fertile recruiting turf, plays in an ACC division opposite FSU and Clemson. They are dreadful when they get behind and can't pass.

ISU is best off mirroring a KSU power shotgun spread like they did after the Fat Man was fired, not mirroring a bleeping service academy offense.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Not clean cut enought I guess. Probably too brash and not old school enough. Amazing.
Indeed.... Pollard wants another central Iowa dud? a nice guy? I'll take a d#ck like Scott Frost. Has played on the biggest stage in college football

Good lord

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Let's just hire Curt Bladt from Harlan, Gary Swenson from Valley, or Tom Wilson from Dowling because they're proven winners guys!

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I've seem Buffalo play and they are nothing to write home about, that would blow up in Pollard's face. I've said it for 3 months I believe Matt Campbell would be our next coach if Rhoads was fired, heard he was interested in ISU for quite some time and that's from a relative in the athletic department.

Campbell may be fine but I am a skeptic. Ohio produces tons of talent and only has one P5 school, and they obviously are not reliant on in state players. Plus Toledo has been a good program for a long time. I'm much more excited about Fritz or Stitt.

isu83

May 5, 2010
Is that fair without knowing whats all been happening behind the scenes? Not debating whether Frost would be a good guy for the job or not, but don't you think its quite possible that JP and those who help him with these things, plus ISU higher ups that weigh in on things like this, just might have insisted he only considers someone who's already had 'head' coaching experience? I don't know one way or the other if thats a necessary trait of our next hire, but several ISU people have already said they didn't want to follow a coordinator (Rhoads when he came) with another coordinator.

I am counting on the hire having Leath's approval.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Campbell may be fine but I am a skeptic. Ohio produces tons of talent and only has one P5 school, and they obviously are not reliant on in state players. Plus Toledo has been a good program for a long time. I'm much more excited about Fritz or Stitt.
Ever since Nick Saban coached at Toledo they have been winners. That's my only issue with him, I'm not saying he is a bad coach but it is hard for someone to do terrible there. I'd like him to go to the AAC to prove himself at like a Memphis or UConn.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I would probably go

1. Fritz
2. Leipold
3. Monken

Help Support Us

Become a patron