List of potential replacements should Fred Hoiberg leave

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Good for you, man. Hang in there!

I'm a 45 year old ISU graduate that was born into an Iowa State family. Hope is all I have. But at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. It's sports. We were lucky to have Fred elevate the program. I hope it continues. It's fun but it's not paying my bills or raising my kids.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
It's got to be Jeff. If not it has to be a "risky" hire. It's Iowa State, we have to take risks if we want to be great.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Look, I'm not going to suggest I know enough about big time college basketball, and I get the point that winning is winning, whether you do it with 80pts. a game or 60. But what coach out there will be able to come in and teach the spacing and mismatching that Fred's offense does? Most coaches claim they're up-tempo , but our players will be waiting for the next NBA play to be ran for them. Going to be interesting for our players no matter who it is, I guess.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Look, I'm not going to suggest I know enough about big time college basketball, and I get the point that winning is winning, whether you do it with 80pts. a game or 60. But what coach out there will be able to come in and teach the spacing and mismatching that Fred's offense does? Most coaches claim they're up-tempo , but our players will be waiting for the next NBA play to be ran for them. Going to be interesting for our players no matter who it is, I guess.

Jeff Hornacek

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'm a 45 year old ISU graduate that was born into an Iowa State family. Hope is all I have. But at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. It's sports. We were lucky to have Fred elevate the program. I hope it continues. It's fun but it's not paying my bills or raising my kids.

You must not be selling your tickets for enough money. :wink:

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
This is such a major hire by Pollard. I hope he feels the pressure. If the next coach can sustain continued success, ISU's brand has a major chance of continuing to improve, which will only make future coaching hires easier. But if Pollard fails, ISU goes back to being insignificant and the future of the program will be much harder to get back to current levels.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Just a question but why does everyone think a former player for ISU would make a good coach? Yes Hoiberg did but that's not your average hire.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Just a question but why does everyone think a former player for ISU would make a good coach? Yes Hoiberg did but that's not your average hire.

Why does everyone think that an assistant would make a great coach?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Because he's the current coach of the Phoenix Suns who has over achieved with his roster. And was runner up to NBA coach of the year last year. That's an insane resume for ISU standards.

Realistic chance to get him aside, how in the world does someone advocate hiring an assistant coach with no head coaching experience over that???