List of potential replacements should Fred Hoiberg leave

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
This. We get so stuck in the stuff we know that we can't move beyond it.

Hornacek is somewhat of an exception, in that he's already proven to be a solid coach. Otherwise, it's just recycling the same names for decades.

Hornacek is definitely an exception. He is a top three candidate for the job if interested. I figured the post I responded too referred to Grayer. I have no problem with having former players coach, it's just that a lot aren't qualified. Not to mention we've all known people who were very good at certain things, but had no ability to teach the thing they were good at.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If TJ is the man, then I agree that this has been a done deal ever since he came back here from Washington.

It has been VERY obvious ever since he came back, but none of us really wanted to believe it and were in denial. Do you think TJ is going to admit to anyone what really happened behind the scenes? No. Will JP admit it? No. Will Fred? No.

But anyone with half a brain can see what went down here. Washington's coach was correct from the very beginning, but none of us wanted to believe it. And there will still be some deniers on here even if TJ is announced as the next head coach.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I disagree with the choice of TJ, if he is the choice, I'm just saying that if this happens it was the plan from the start.

Inspired

Mar 18, 2012
That isn't a bad list even for a program with the recent success ISU has enjoyed. You have to start with the recognition that it's become extremely difficult to pry a "name" head coach out of a comfortable situation because the money available even outside of Power Five conference schools is great for guys like that. So, it's not a big sacrifice for a guy like Archie Miller, or Shaka Smart before him, to stay at schools like Dayton and VCU while waiting for their ideal job to become available, and still make great money while they wait.

Personally, I think TJ is the guy, but Jamie is certainly capable of pulling a surprise.

Last edited:

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Give it a ******* rest! We understand that you think this whole thing has been set in motion since we "supposedly" landed on the moon and JFK set in motion all the world events that would dictate TJ being the next coach at ISU in 2015. We ******* get it, stop posting every other post in every other thread about "oh, we suck if all we can get is TJ", "it's TJ so why even care", etc. Seriously, enough.

And not only that...that there's some sort of expectation that a fan shouldn't 'get played'. It's ****ing big business. It's ****ing competitive. If the fans know something, so does everyone else and they can use it against you. It's not necessarily that Fred, JP, TJ...whatever boogey man wants to keep fans in the dark, it's that if the fans know something, so does everyone else and they can use it against you. It honestly points out that these people that are whining about things happening behind the scenes have never been above minion status in any company. There are TONS of secrets...that doesn't mean someone has it out for you, or that there's a grand conspiracy, or that someone doesn't like you :sad: it means simply that someone felt it was in the best interest of the program to keep things quiet.

And yes, if Fred knew for a year that he was leaving, I'm damn glad that Jamie kept it quiet. Do you realize the flipping turmoil it would have caused to have a lame duck coach for a year? Look at poor Thibs' position, his players quit on him, and he doesn't even have to recruit or keep coaches on staff.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
For **** sake. Pollard and TJ haven't played anyone. If TJ is hired it's because he thought TJ was the best available candidate for the job not because he wanted to get one over on the fanbase. These types of comments are completely ignorant and void of any value to anyone. You have single-handedly made anything related to Hoiberg unreadable. Back to Twitter until something happens I guess.

I, for one, think that McD left Pollard was devastated. To maintain the McD legacy, he had to hire TJ at some point. It was clear at that time that TJ didn't have the experience to win the fanbase over so instead, he thought he'd hire Hoiberg, knowing full well that in 5 years he'd get a top 5 job in the NBA and then he could hire TJ. Little did he know, jsb would be onto him.

Well that didn't last long. Twitter must have been terrible to drive you back here :smile:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Intriguing answer
Very intriguing. At the very least, it sounds like he may be somewhat interested. If not, I would think he would have came out and said he likes the NBA and doesn't plan on going to the college ranks anytime.
He also mentioned that college coaches get paid more with longer contracts and less stress of immediate results.

JP: Go offer Hornacek a 5 year, $12.5 - $15 million contract and tell him to sign. With the only thing being that he must retain Otz, all other personnel is up to you.

SighClone23

Sep 11, 2013
I think there has been a lot of creeping determinism when it comes to people trying to rationalize what happened. I don't know if TJ was brought back all along to take over the job, and frankly I don't care at this point.

What I do know is that CW knows better than any of us what type of guys would be realistic as a replacement. After looking at that list, Hornacek is my top (and extremely unlikely) choice. TJ is right behind him.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Very intriguing. At the very least, it sounds like he may be somewhat interested. If not, I would think he would have came out and said he likes the NBA and doesn't plan on going to the college ranks anytime.
He also mentioned that college coaches get paid more with longer contracts and less stress of immediate results.

JP: Go offer Hornacek a 5 year, $12.5 - $15 million contract and tell him to sign. With the only thing being that he must retain Otz, all other personnel is up to you.

I wouldn't care if we had to drop every single men's program not named football or basketball to pay the man whatever it takes to get him to Ames.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009

One way to find out if Jeff is trolling the Suns for raise and extension.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA

I couldn't agree more. We can offer Hornacek more $$, more stability, and a built in support system here at ISU than he has with the Suns. Why WOULDN'T he be interested in listening to our offer!!

This seems like a no brainer. This is the direction we need to go.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
If TJ is the man, then I agree that this has been a done deal ever since he came back here from Washington.

It has been VERY obvious ever since he came back, but none of us really wanted to believe it and were in denial. Do you think TJ is going to admit to anyone what really happened behind the scenes? No. Will JP admit it? No. Will Fred? No.

But anyone with half a brain can see what went down here. Washington's coach was correct from the very beginning, but none of us wanted to believe it. And there will still be some deniers on here even if TJ is announced as the next head coach.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I disagree with the choice of TJ, if he is the choice, I'm just saying that if this happens it was the plan from the start.

Romar was just venting. He thought Fred might go to the NBA so that was the only way TJ would leave him. He couldn't comprehend that TJ might just prefer being an assistant at Iowa State versus an assistant with Romar. Its not hard to see that Romar's comments could easily have just been sour grapes.

For this to all make sense, this would have to be a conspiracy between Pollard, TJ and Fred. They all would have to be in on it. If it was just Pollard and TJ, then Fred wouldn't have made all the glowing comments about TJ when he was hired. If it was just Fred and TJ, no way Pollard would hire TJ if he also wasn't on board.

So now for this to be a big conspiracy, Fred, Pollard and TJ are all conspiring in this. Lets say that true. If Fred thinks TJ is the right coach to replace him at Iowa State, I'm on board. If Fred went to Jamie and said he was going to consider moving to the NBA and that he thought TJ would be the perfect replacement and Jamie agreed, then this is all going down perfectly. I think Fred is a brilliant basketball mind and would completely trust him picking a new coach for Iowa State.

Now lets look at the Diallo comments. If this whole conspiracy is true, Fred was just being honest with him. He says he's not 100% sure if he'll be back but Iowa State is still great place and he should come here. If Fred realized that Diallo was lost as soon as he said that, why waste more time putting on the full court press. What is the alternative? Fred promises Diallo that he will be back next year, gets Diallo to sign a letter of intent, then renigs on that by leaving Iowa State. Diallo is ****** and either gets out of his letter of intent, or becomes disgruntalled and ruins team chemistry.

So lets say this is all true. Fred tells Jamie he is going to listen to NBA offers but isn't 100% sure he'll leave. Fred and Jamie talk to TJ and tell him the deal. If Fred leaves for the NBA, Iowa State wants to hire TJ as the new head coach. If Fred decides to stay, TJ is an assisstant for a year, making as much money as he would as a head coach at Green Bay or Eastern Kentucky, delays his search for a head coach by 1 year and possibly opens up more head coaching opportunities by being the lead assistant on who recruited a lot of the talent on a Final 4 team. There are serious professional advantages to TJ coming back to Iowa State for 1 year as an assisstant coach.

If its a giant conspiracy, its a perfect conspiracy and the perfect way for Fred to leave for the NBA. Fred and TJ can recruit by saying that Fred may be your coach next year, but he's might go to the NBA and if he does go to the NBA, TJ will be your coach next year. That hurts recruiting none. Maybe Diallo said he needed a 100% guarentee that Fred would be there and if Fred leaves, Diallo would leave. Being the high character guy he is, Fred moves on from Diallo. Maybe Babb and Noskoviak got the same deal and were good whether Fred stayed or left. Who knows.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Romar was just venting. He thought Fred might go to the NBA so that was the only way TJ would leave him. He couldn't comprehend that TJ might just prefer being an assistant at Iowa State versus an assistant with Romar. Its not hard to see that Romar's comments could easily have just been sour grapes.

For this to all make sense, this would have to be a conspiracy between Pollard, TJ and Fred. They all would have to be in on it. If it was just Pollard and TJ, then Fred wouldn't have made all the glowing comments about TJ when he was hired. If it was just Fred and TJ, no way Pollard would hire TJ if he also wasn't on board.

So now for this to be a big conspiracy, Fred, Pollard and TJ are all conspiring in this. Lets say that true. If Fred thinks TJ is the right coach to replace him at Iowa State, I'm on board. If Fred went to Jamie and said he was going to consider moving to the NBA and that he thought TJ would be the perfect replacement and Jamie agreed, then this is all going down perfectly. I think Fred is a brilliant basketball mind and would completely trust him picking a new coach for Iowa State.

Now lets look at the Diallo comments. If this whole conspiracy is true, Fred was just being honest with him. He says he's not 100% sure if he'll be back but Iowa State is still great place and he should come here. If Fred realized that Diallo was lost as soon as he said that, why waste more time putting on the full court press. What is the alternative? Fred promises Diallo that he will be back next year, gets Diallo to sign a letter of intent, then renigs on that by leaving Iowa State. Diallo is ****** and either gets out of his letter of intent, or becomes disgruntalled and ruins team chemistry.

So lets say this is all true. Fred tells Jamie he is going to listen to NBA offers but isn't 100% sure he'll leave. Fred and Jamie talk to TJ and tell him the deal. If Fred leaves for the NBA, Iowa State wants to hire TJ as the new head coach. If Fred decides to stay, TJ is an assisstant for a year, making as much money as he would as a head coach at Green Bay or Eastern Kentucky, delays his search for a head coach by 1 year and possibly opens up more head coaching opportunities by being the lead assistant on who recruited a lot of the talent on a Final 4 team. There are serious professional advantages to TJ coming back to Iowa State for 1 year as an assisstant coach.

If its a giant conspiracy, its a perfect conspiracy and the perfect way for Fred to leave for the NBA. Fred and TJ can recruit by saying that Fred may be your coach next year, but he's might go to the NBA and if he does go to the NBA, TJ will be your coach next year. That hurts recruiting none. Maybe Diallo said he needed a 100% guarentee that Fred would be there and if Fred leaves, Diallo would leave. Being the high character guy he is, Fred moves on from Diallo. Maybe Babb and Noskoviak got the same deal and were good whether Fred stayed or left. Who knows.

Don't forget that Chris and I were also in on it as we have been laying the ground work for people to accept TJ - that reminds me, I need to text JP and have him send over the check:wink: