Anyone remember their college move-in experience?

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
My older brother was a senior my freshman year. He stayed in Ames all summer working for the University but he came home the day before and gave me a lift into town. I remember I had 1 box of stuff with a suit case full of clothes and that was all I had. He got to infront of MWL and said, "Sorry bro, but I'm not fighting that fight. Good Luck" and I hoped out. Quickly said our goodbyes and I turn to walk in. I took 2 steps and he honked the horn, rolled down the windows and said "Some buddies and I are playing ball at the rec at 8:00. If youre interested why dont you come along and meet them." Honestly enough that is what I remembered about my freshman year move in. Not the crowdedness, not the uneasy feeling, not the fears of being in a new environment. It's looking over my shoulder and seeing my brother realize the awkwardness I was about to experience and his attempt to help me through it.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It's kind of cool to think about how much history is in that building. At one point, it was the largest dorm in the country I think.

Ya i remember them always saying it's the largest civilian dorm in the country. Our den was filled with a lot of very interesting pictures taking throughout Friley over the years.

We also randomly took down our whiteboard one day and found out that people had done the same over the past 15 years or so and wrote messages for future students. We were the firsts one to do so in the last 5 years at the time (2002-2003).

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Not my own personal moving in story, but my wife and I helped move our daughter into Martin a few years back. She is our oldest, so Mom was having quite a bit of trouble dealing with the fact she was going to be away from home. Me, I was just grousing about how much stuff we had to put in that room.

Just before we were about to leave town, my wife and I were walking around the Martin-Eaton area feeling rather emotional. Then a pickup roared up; a guy got out of the passenger side carrying a pillow and a garbage bag of clothes, I guess; he gave a quick wave to the driver and headed into the dorm. I turned to my wife and said, "That's our son in two years." We both burst out laughing. Whoever that guy was, he pretty much saved the day for us.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I was a late enrollee, so I was assigned to temp housing in the den of 8th floor Knapp Hall.
Just my mom and I, and I didn't bring a whole lot. Turned out that the 8th floor was coed, and we crossed paths with a girl just leaving the shower in nothing but a towel.

It was kind of awkward.

cycoticfan

Dec 14, 2008
Johnston IA
Fall 76 meeting roommate for first time. Him: you smoke ? Me: no. Him: good. You chew? Me: no. Him: care if I do? Me: nope. Him: drink beer? Me: yep. Him : we're going to get along fine. And we did, lived together 3 years, he was best man in my wedding. I see a few others of my vintage in this thread, ah the days of kegs in the dorms.....

life was good then. 18 was legal, dorm parties all over campus (BWR, anyone?) I was the smoker in my room, (sorry Earl and Feelers)

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I was a late enrollee, so I was assigned to temp housing in the den of 8th floor Knapp Hall.
Just my mom and I, and I didn't bring a whole lot. Turned out that the 8th floor was coed, and we crossed paths with a girl just leaving the shower in nothing but a towel.

It was kind of awkward.

Ahh, I knew the story of how you met Revkah would be a good one!

:wink:

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I, too, lived in Friley, and moved in the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, I'm pretty sure. I know classes started that Thursday.
My whole family came along in our station wagon and ate lunch at Shakeys Pizza onwest Lincoln Way first.
My mom had told me to be sure to eat breakfast and the first morning there, I missed breakfast. Was sure I was doomed. Just one of many memories from back in the late 70's.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
B-W-R fall of 84. I was the only freshman that was legal. Got there on Sunday afternoon and woke up in gal's room on Turner Monday morning. I was the talk of the floor and got the first house award of the year the following week. :yes:

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
I worked at the State Fair and luckily managed a few hours on my assigned move-in day to drive to Ames, unload my stuff, and get back to the fairgrounds for evening shift. Didn't even unpack boxes. After State Fair work ended on a Sunday night, I drove to Ames and crashed at my brother's place. Went to my 8AM Monday morning, then went to my dorm to unpack and organize all my stuff...you know, like put sheets on the bed and say Hi to my new roommate.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Got an apartment on Hyland; don't think the move was that bad and I'm pretty sure I went at it hard that night

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Yeah, I brought my 12" GE Black and White tv with me at move in 1976. I recall the "house" bought a color tv for the den using fees/dues/compulsory donations.
We still have that tv on a shelf in the garage. Still kinda works. Too many memories just to pitch.

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
My only memory of the Tower's elevators was as a hazing tool. The tradition was to grab unsuspecting freshman, strip them to their skivvies, give them a shower, and then zip them up in one of those mattress sacks.

In those days the first 3 floors were female. So they'd send the victim down to visit the ladies. The girl's would send him back eventually.

I was in a corner room with another freshman. Next to us was another room with two freshman. We watched each other's backs that year, so we didn't get the treatment.
Fartbagging. Good clean fun.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron