Anyone remember their college move-in experience?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Lantz house!!! '96. Towers elevators rarely worked. Me n my mom moved me in and built my loft, a real pos.

Enjoy these moments kids. They go bye wayyyyy too fast.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
State fair one day, then move in the next. Didnt take too long to get moved in.

Did move in crew, seeing how much stuff some college students bring, especially girls, was very eye opening.
Kids who got help from the move in crew have no idea how good they had it. There was no move-in crew anytime I moved in.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Jones floor in Helser. Close to the door by the parking lot. I moved in a day after my friend from high school. He had our loft setup and I didn't have much to do.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I was a late enrollee, so I was assigned to temp housing in the den of 8th floor Knapp Hall.
Just my mom and I, and I didn't bring a whole lot. Turned out that the 8th floor was coed, and we crossed paths with a girl just leaving the shower in nothing but a towel.

It was kind of awkward.
Had a similar experience but dad was with me, exchanged knowing smiles..

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I just got back from moving my stepdaughter to ASU and let me tell you those guys have move in down to a science. They have 1 hour blocks that you are assigned (ours was 7AM to 8AM). You go to the Student center and get your parking pass, then they funnel you on this route that takes you right in front of the dorm. You then back up and there are 3 -4 student volunteers there with big carts and big boxes on wheels, you unload all your stuff in them. The volunteers, the student and one parent get in line and go up to the room, while the other parent goes and parks in the parking ramp 2 blocks away. I then took the stairs to floor 11 and met my wife and stepdaughter at the room. The volunteers then unload the cart/giant box on wheels and go back to help more while you decorate your room.

Took us 45 minutes from getting the parking pass at the student center until the movers left the room. And only 1 trip up the elevator.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Revkah would have been 12 at that point, so no.

I called Revkah a liar in our first conversation, then I told her off. It was pretty romantic.

I love these kinds of stories. Makes our beer & ice cream & me turning him down the second time he called seem much less disfunctional. :)

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
I just got back from moving my stepdaughter to ASU and let me tell you those guys have move in down to a science. They have 1 hour blocks that you are assigned (ours was 7AM to 8AM). You go to the Student center and get your parking pass, then they funnel you on this route that takes you right in front of the dorm. You then back up and there are 3 -4 student volunteers there with big carts and big boxes on wheels, you unload all your stuff in them. The volunteers, the student and one parent get in line and go up to the room, while the other parent goes and parks in the parking ramp 2 blocks away. I then took the stairs to floor 11 and met my wife and stepdaughter at the room. The volunteers then unload the cart/giant box on wheels and go back to help more while you decorate your room.

Took us 45 minutes from getting the parking pass at the student center until the movers left the room. And only 1 trip up the elevator.

I wish UNO had that. My son and I spent two hours yesterday going back and forth getting stuff. (Ok, I spent the first hour and made my son do the rest.) His room was the farthest down the hall, so got my walk in.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
Larch, '01. I remember moving in and immediately knowing I wouldn't last too long with my assigned roommate. I found a friend from high school was living across the hall, and I ended up living with him the next semester. Been best friends ever since. I met a couple guys, one of whom was a 5th year senior still living in the dorms, as they were running down the hall and smashing their heads into the wall, testing out another guy's motorcycle helmet. We watched Animal House (great way to kick it all off) and drank beer. It was great. Still talk to a bunch of those guys.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
Louden in Helser here. Seems like it was hotter than hell every move in.

Helser Elwood in fall of 2007. This is the only thing I really remember about move in day. Completely drenched a grey shirt in sweat.

Well, that and my HS gf crying as she said goodbye. No, it didn't work out, but that was a good warm up for the real thing a couple months later.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
It was hot. My dad was awesome, my mom was ******* me off. My roommate beat me there and covered the room in Henry Rollins/Black Flag posters (he quit halfway through two a days and dropped out of college before classes started).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron